75-inch TV vs projector with $2000 budget

First post, hello! ? I'm in the process of moving house and am fortunate enough to have space for a media room in the new place. The space would be large enough for a 100-inch screen and it wouldn't be a problem to install black-out blinds to make it dark. I already have an AV receiver and speakers but would like to upgrade my TV or get a projector.

Until recently, it seemed like a projector would be the clear winner for very large screens but I have noticed lots of good value entry-level 75-inch TVs. I am trying to figure out what would give better picture quality with a $2000 budget. For this budget, and the throw ratio I'd need, I would be choosing between something similar to this:

Projector: BenQ W1120 for $1300

Screen: VisuaLax 100" Fixed Frame Acoustic Transparent Projector Screen for $350 (I will mount speakers behind the screen if I go for a projector)

TOTAL: $1650

or

TV: Samsung UA75NU7100 or LG 75UK6500PTB or Sony Bravia X78F

TOTAL: (these all seem to go under $2000 when on sale)

It would be convenient to be able to watch TV without having to make the room dark and I don't mind sacrificing 25" of screen. In terms of picture quality, which do you think would look best? I don't have much (any) 4k content at the moment it seems like a good idea to go with something that can display 4k. I would like the new BenQ W2700 4k projector but it is out my budget. How would these TVs compare to the BenQ projector?

Depends how much viewing you intend to do.

If a lot, go the TV.....plus the picture will be brighter just because it isn't being projected, if you also darken the room it's even better.

BUT,and this is a BIG BUT, at the price point your looking at, it's going to be a edge lit LCD , and at 75" the center of the screen might be Black when watching a Star Wars movie, but I seriously doubt the edges of the screen will be, they will most likely be a lighter Grey, which is very off putting when the rest of the screen looks fine.

PJ's are fun and can be great, but unless you get a fairly decent one you are going to be suffering Blacks that are Grey, and a gradually yellowing and fading picture as the lamp ages......But at least the picture will be even overall, unlike the edge lite TV.

[At you price point I'd be looking in this forums classified section for a better spec'd USED PJ, then get a new lamp for it when funds permit]

Also you don't NEED to mount your speakers behind the screen.

You could save money by building a DIY screen, hundreds if not thousands of designs on the net on how to do that, and use the saving towards a better PJ.

I've been down this road, well not due to funds, but just because of I got sick of having to light tight the room in summer and dealing with air con.....which is another factor with HT [Air Con is a BIGGY]

I went with a bigger TV, but it cost me more than double your budget, and it was only a 65" model

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tweaky said:

BUT,and this is a BIG BUT, at the price point your looking at, it's going to be a edge lit LCD , and at 75" the center of the screen might be Black when watching a Star Wars movie, but I seriously doubt the edges of the screen will be, they will most likely be a lighter Grey, which is very off putting when the rest of the screen looks fine.

Thanks, I hadn't considered the different types of LCD panels. I know OLED will be out of my budget unless I go a lot smaller. I just had a quick search though and it seems like this Hisense 75" TV has local dimming although the brand isn't as well known as Sony, LG, Samsung, etc. Would you say this would be a better option than the TVs I mentioned before?

1 hour ago, Wolloy said:

First post, hello! ? I'm in the process of moving house and am fortunate enough to have space for a media room in the new place. The space would be large enough for a 100-inch screen and it wouldn't be a problem to install black-out blinds to make it dark. I already have an AV receiver and speakers but would like to upgrade my TV or get a projector.

one option many of us do ... is keep the TV... use it for day in day out every day tv... the kind of stuff makes no sense to blow up to a big screen... am talking your average PQ FTA tv. and then get a drop down screen which you can then use for large screen viewing ... ie movies and sport, concerts and like ...

the bonus with this is ... for your normal typical day to day viewing nothing changes.... and really doesnt need to for most general TV... and you get to enjoy a larger screen material on a larger screen meant for it... movies concert sport :) where the greater immersion will pay dividends :)

also keep in mind your budget for a new TV is limited given the huge size tv anticipating to get. the larger the TV the more obvious its faults !  the larger you go in a telly the greater the price... for same quality.... and this is where projectors fit in because basically you can then go a 110" for a pretty awesome experience... and I would go something better than a base benq...something like the 2700 you are thinking... save up a bit more if want and enjoy the greater immersive experience.

keep in mind too. if talking 4k its highly unlikely you are going to resolve it at kind of viewing distances at and with TV sized screen.... vs a greater chance to start getting the benefits with a larger screen. 

if have the opportunity pop out to a few stores to see if can get a feel for which approach is most comfortable to you

also dont forget older projectors ... id get a top notch 1080p projector even 2nd hand ... any day over a average "4k" projector thats stretching your budget ...

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Wolloy said:

Thanks, I hadn't considered the different types of LCD panels. I know OLED will be out of my budget unless I go a lot smaller. I just had a quick search though and it seems like this Hisense 75" TV has local dimming although the brand isn't as well known as Sony, LG, Samsung, etc. Would you say this would be a better option than the TVs I mentioned before?

AVOID Hisense...rhymes with nonesense, the software is horrible to use, and the return rate is HUGE [Which you don't hear about unless you talk to people at places like a JB HiFi store - I work above one]

You haven't mentioned the dimensions of your room.

The big temptation when having a room that could be considered suitable for a Media/HT room is GO BIG, but how BIG ?

The easiest way to find out is to place the chairs or sofa that you intend to sit on, at the distance from the wall you intend to view.

Then sitting at that seat, place your arms out in front of you, spread your fingers out as far as you can, then touch your thumbs together....now notice when your little fingers fall....Get somebody to put something down on the floor at those points, now measure the width.....that's the Biggest screen you want to have, as it's the screen size where you can see everything that is happening on the screen without having to move your head side to side.

I live in a apartment, I have a 120" across motorized PJ screen, and was looking at replacing my PJ late 2017.

I ended up buying a 65" TV and TBH, I'm happy with that sized TV screen....sure I could of bought the 75" version, but that would have seriously screwed up my sound system, as it would of meant pushing my Harbeth SHL5"s flush against the wall...NO bloody way.

It's swings and round abouts.

Unless building from scratch, with a much bigger budget than yours, everything is a compromise.

IMHO, I'd be looking at either a Used 4K Epson PJ [I've seen them for sale in your price range] or a better 65" TV.

By the way, NOW is the time to buy a TV, they won't get any cheaper.

It's the same every year, CES show in Las Vegas Jan 5-8th, all the manufacturers show what their new TV's are going to be, that means they arrive in AUS in June....so to empty the warehouses of the old models, the sales start mid April till they are sold out

Edited by Tweaky
  • Like 2

Thanks for the ideas. I don't really want to get anything second hand but I may consider downsizing to a 65" TV if it means much better quality. My existing TV will be staying in the family room so a fixed screen would be fine if I do decide on a projector.

As much as I would like the W2700, the price of the projector + screen would definitely be over my budget. I would have to get a 1080p model for what I'm prepared to spend. I'm thinking that, if a projector + screen for under $2000 (new) wouldn't match a similarly-priced TV for image quality, I'm probably leaning towards getting a TV.

For $2000, even at 65", OLED will still be out of my budget. If I avoid Hisense, would something like the Samsung NU7100 be a good buy for around $2k?

30 minutes ago, betty boop said:

also keep in mind your budget for a new TV is limited given the huge size tv anticipating to get. the larger the TV the more obvious its faults !  the larger you go in a telly the greater the price... for same quality.... and this is where projectors fit in because basically you can then go a 110" for a pretty awesome experience... and I would go something better than a base benq...something like the 2700 you are thinking... save up a bit more if want and enjoy the greater immersive experience.

The reason I initially wanted a projector was for the "immersion factor" of a big screen. I think that the space I have would only suit a maximum screen size of 90" or 100" so the difference between this and a large TV is minimal.

I was quite surprised to see how affordable large TVs are these days. I hadn't really even considered a TV over a projector until I saw some large ones at Harvey Norman yesterday. Surprisingly, these large TVs actually seem better value for my modest budget as I could only get an entry-level 1080p projector and screen for the same price.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Wolloy said:

The reason I initially wanted a projector was for the "immersion factor" of a big screen. I think that the space I have would only suit a maximum screen size of 90" or 100" so the difference between this and a large TV is minimal.

realistically though and depending how far you sit... eg even taking a 90" screen... you are looking at sitting at 2.8m for immersion to THX spec... think about now the 75" screen this drops drastically and you loose the immersion factor quickly..a 75" screen you'd need to sit at 2.2m to gain the same immersion... while that doesnt seem like a lot of difference... 2.8m is a comfortable viewing distance and 2.2m is getting a tad close for most.... in a homely setting.... will you be sitting 2.2m from the 75" screen for the same immersion ? 

a 100" though seems not much more than a 90" we are talking diagnals and that will suit around 3m viewing distance...for immersion to THX spec... these sort of distances correspond very well to domestic settings :) and the gains are there ... ive been using a Telly and drop down screen for quite some years now ...best of both worlds... my telly is 10 years old an old kuro...and only 50" wont bother updating it till it dies ... perfectly good for every day tv...

8 minutes ago, Wolloy said:

I was quite surprised to see how affordable large TVs are these days. I hadn't really even considered a TV over a projector until I saw some large ones at Harvey Norman yesterday. Surprisingly, these large TVs actually seem better value for my modest budget as I could only get an entry-level 1080p projector and screen for the same price.

yes but they are still just telly in the affordable range... and larger you go and less you spend the worse they tend to get ... in PQ terms.

if cant afford full price of a good projector just go second hand... you can pick u pa 1080p top notch sony/JVC/epson that go into dedicated rooms doing justice to far larger screens with immersion and PQ these cheaper TVs are just not going to have any hope of doing.

but still use your eyes... use your judgement and view with the kind of material you intend to watch...ie not the pristine fake stuff they use for demos :) 

If you do any gaming, you really don't want a OLED, as screen burn-in can be a problem.

TBH as fine a picture a OLED screen can produce, I can see just as many problems 'Picture wise' as I can if watching a LED /LCD screen TV......but that's me, and I've been doing this stuff for years.

Are you able to put a 2K payment towards a 3K TV and then pay the 1K difference off over time?

That would get you "THERE", as in a excellent 65" 4K TV that won't need to be replaced for years.

Here's my recommendation if so.

Sony X90F 65" [KD 9000F], currently $5 bucks below that 3K price at nearly every place it's able to be bought at......are you good at haggling?....if so, don't ask for a lower price, ask for a 4K disc player thrown in, and free delivery.....Go for it Lad!

Edited by Tweaky
  • Like 2

the problem here is the op does not really want a projector and all that comes with it. you do not get immersion from a tv, you probably wont see any 4k over 1080p as you wont sit close enough and its easier to just buy a tv, open the box and turn it on.

best just buy a tv, they are always on special, just be patient and stick to your budget.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Wolloy said:

I'm thinking that, if a projector + screen for under $2000 (new) wouldn't match a similarly-priced TV for image quality, I'm probably leaning towards getting a TV.

Dollar for dollar, a TV will always outperform a projector in every way other than size. 

In saying that, size makes a massive difference no matter the picture quality. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Wolloy said:

Thanks for the ideas. I don't really want to get anything second hand but I may consider downsizing to a 65" TV if it means much better quality. My existing TV will be staying in the family room so a fixed screen would be fine if I do decide on a projector.

As much as I would like the W2700, the price of the projector + screen would definitely be over my budget. I would have to get a 1080p model for what I'm prepared to spend. I'm thinking that, if a projector + screen for under $2000 (new) wouldn't match a similarly-priced TV for image quality, I'm probably leaning towards getting a TV.

For $2000, even at 65", OLED will still be out of my budget. If I avoid Hisense, would something like the Samsung NU7100 be a good buy for around $2k?

Here's the projector that I was proposing for your consideration.

Epson EHTW9300.

https://www.videopro.com.au/p-10094-epson-ehtw9300-full-hd-home-theatre-projector.aspx

I've seen them for sale secondhand at this forum when the owner has decided to upgrade.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, betty boop said:

one option many of us do ... is keep the TV... use it for day in day out every day tv... the kind of stuff makes no sense to blow up to a big screen... am talking your average PQ FTA tv. and then get a drop down screen which you can then use for large screen viewing ... ie movies and sport, concerts and like ...

the bonus with this is ... for your normal typical day to day viewing nothing changes.... and really doesnt need to for most general TV... and you get to enjoy a larger screen material on a larger screen meant for it... movies concert sport :) where the greater immersion will pay dividends :)

keep in mind too. if talking 4k its highly unlikely you are going to resolve it at kind of viewing distances at and with TV sized screen.... vs a greater chance to start getting the benefits with a larger screen. 

if have the opportunity pop out to a few stores to see if can get a feel for which approach is most comfortable to you

also dont forget older projectors ... id get a top notch 1080p projector even 2nd hand ... any day over a average "4k" projector thats stretching your budget ...

That is exactly my set up. I have a 75 inch tele but Projector wins for Movie watching hands down.

• Like 1

from my experience you know if you want a pj, its not a maybe thing unless you go out and get a 2nd hand entry level epson/benq, throw it on a temp stand played against the wall to see if it does it for you. no or little downside if you resell.

do not buy any new pj unless you actually know you want a pj from the start. just wasting min 30% when on selling it.

If your room isn’t that big, which it sounds like it is not, then I’d go 75” TV. 

In our previous house we had a 75” (dare I say it) Hisense and it looked bloody great for everything including movies. Our present house has roughly the same size TV room but as we sit further away the new Panasonic 75” tv looks way to small, having said that the 110” screen in the 6m x 4:2m HT room is to small as well.

You can presently get a lot of TV for $2000, good luck with what ever direction you decide to go in.

cheers Terry

31 minutes ago, TerryO said:

If your room isn’t that big, which it sounds like it is not, then I’d go 75” TV. 

In our previous house we had a 75” (dare I say it) Hisense and it looked bloody great for everything including movies. Our present house has roughly the same size TV room but as we sit further away the new Panasonic 75” tv looks way to small, having said that the 110” screen in the 6m x 4:2m HT room is to small as well.

You can presently get a lot of TV for $2000, good luck with what ever direction you decide to go in.

cheers Terry

I've measured how far it'll be from the screen to the seating position and it's almost exactly 3 metres. I think a 75" screen will be suitable for this distance. A screen 100"+ would probably feel too large.

10 minutes ago, Wolloy said:

I've measured how far it'll be from the screen to the seating position and it's almost exactly 3 metres. I think a 75" screen will be suitable for this distance. A screen 100"+ would probably feel too large.

to put in perspective 3m from a 75" ?

you wont even resolve 1080p .... you need to be 2.964m for that. so forget about resolving 4k :)

100" at 3m is not too large. THX spec for immersion suggests 3.04m from a 100" screen so you are right on it as happens :)

you will resolve 1080p from a 100" screen from 3.954m so you will well and truly get benefit for resolutions beyond 1080p eg 4k uhd for a 100" screen being viewed at 3m :)

but in end go with what ever seems comfortable to you. 

Ive got a mixed use room with a drop down screen

75" TV - sit 4.2m

110" projector - sit 3.6m

I wouldn't want to go any bigger for the projector screen at this distance, but its very immersive. In the same breath, 100 might feel a little small. 

The TV when watching regular standard definition free to air broadcasts looks terrible. Wish it was a smaller TV! But once HD comes on it looks great.  

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Johnny_Boy said:

Ive got a mixed use room with a drop down screen

75" TV - sit 4.2m

110" projector - sit 3.6m

I wouldn't want to go any bigger for the projector screen at this distance, but its very immersive. In the same breath, 100 might feel a little small. 

The TV when watching regular standard definition free to air broadcasts looks terrible. Wish it was a smaller TV! But once HD comes on it looks great.  

If and When you opt for a 4K TV, as long as you have gone through the recommended setup procedures.....IE: Scan for all TV channels, then edit them so only those that are transmitting at 1080i [which will be the HD versions of each FTA channel] then your 4K TV will automatically Upscale that 1080i signal to 4K.....YES you will notice the difference, especially when watching FTA sports.

But that also applies when watching anything else.....ALWAYS use the HD version channel if the option exists, the difference is HUGE

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tweaky said:

If and When you opt for a 4K TV, as long as you have gone through the recommended setup procedures.....IE: Scan for all TV channels, then edit them so only those that are transmitting at 1080i [which will be the HD versions of each FTA channel] then your 4K TV will automatically Upscale that 1080i signal to 4K.....YES you will notice the difference, especially when watching FTA sports.

But that also applies when watching anything else.....ALWAYS use the HD version channel if the option exists, the difference is HUGE

Hi Tweaky,

I have a full 4k setup and the upscaling is useful. But there is no way to upscale the garbage from a station like 9 life (which unfortunately has a lot of home renovation shows my wife likes to watch). In those situations, I would prefer to watch it on a 50" display. 

Good tip with always watching HD versions of the channel. Something I have always done. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Johnny_Boy said:

Hi Tweaky,

I have a full 4k setup and the upscaling is useful. But there is no way to upscale the garbage from a station like 9 life (which unfortunately has a lot of home renovation shows my wife likes to watch). In those situations, I would prefer to watch it on a 50" display. 

Good tip with always watching HD versions of the channel. Something I have always done. 

why i happily run my 50" ten year old plasma and keep using it for every day tv. can keep projector for stuff on larger screen...

... that said broadcast quality ive noticed is improving ... content is more and more in HD but yes the low res  shows can look a bit drab expanded on larger screen no amount of upscaling going to help that !

by time havde to replace thew telly both screens and fta have improved further :)