Sign in to follow this  
pulinap

Recommend me a street camera please

Hello fellow SNA members.

I am looking for recommendation for a camera for street/ architecture photography for my partner.

Here are some parameters:

1. Should be very simple to operate  - point and shoot....(all auto..?)

2. Light/small

3. Preferable around $500.00 (can look for used/ previous technology)

Thanks in advance.

Posted (edited)

Panasonic, Fujifilm, Olympus, Canon & Nikon all make excellent lightweight small cameras in your price range

For street/architecture photography, look for a camera that provides a good wide angle capability.

I would recommend Panasonic lumix (used), fuji film t100 or the olympus omd series

Edited by anandpkumar

I have a lovely lumix lx100 mk2 for sale in the classifieds...well over your budget...but the older version the mk1 you might find knocking around for about half the price and in budget. these are VERY good cameras for general use with good sensor, good optics good processing and controls. pocketable and will rival full on cameras in capability. and do go full auto for novice to full manual if need be. 

if after something even smaller there are likes of the canon g7 / g9 range very small pocketable easy to use point and shoot with a zoom. will find a new g9 in your range or older g7 :)

Posted (edited)

Don't go "all auto".   Most better cameras have auto modes, but can be switched to more manual modes that allow the more experienced operator to tweak things.  After using it in "all auto" for a while you'll be glad you now have more options.

Also, it's good to hear a budget that allows some decent quality.  The bottom end of range in compact cameras can be quite poor optically.

As a Canon fan, I would look at something like  https://www.jbhifi.com.au/cameras/compact-cameras/canon/canon-powershot-sx730-hs-digital-camera-black/946730/.     Canon and Nikon are the goto names for me.  Sony is also up there, but I just don't like them as a company :)

Edited by aussievintage

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, betty boop said:

I have a lovely lumix lx100 mk2 for sale in the classifieds...well over your budget...but the older version the mk1 you might find knocking around for about half the price and in budget. these are VERY good cameras for general use with good sensor, good optics good processing and controls. pocketable and will rival full on cameras in capability. and do go full auto for novice to full manual if need be. 

Great option for the OP if he is willing to stretch the budget a bit. The lumix series is rock solid, with very good reviews. 

Edited by anandpkumar

Probably outside your budget but I use a Panasonic GX9, it came with a 12-32mm kit lens for about $950 new, I guess it would be about $750 used on eBay, otherwise one of the older models like the Panasonic GX7 or GX85.

I ended up buying a 15mm f1.7 prime lens and a better 14-42mm pancake type zoom lens for the GX9 and sold the original 12-32mm lens that came with it, so you can upgrade it as needed and budget allows.

JDH

Nikon COOLPIX B500

I had an earlier model of this thing and took a large number of macro shots of bees.

They are all about the same anyhow when it gets to light if you want auto , but that type is a step up on main stream instamatic as a programmable.

(Not from the camera i mentioned) My bees a year back.

For street photography, I reckon a used DSLR may be a bit bulky and not really fun to carry.

So if you're going all auto, forget DSLR and maybe pick up either a compact camera or a cheap mirrorless.

Cheap mirrorless: maybe a used Sony mirrorless camera you could get for around the $500 mark?

Haven't bought a compact in a while but maybe one in the Canon Powershot range

How about a used Fujifilm x100? (set to manual/hyperfocal distance for street). Lovely camera.

At that price point I would buy a Ricoh GRII. 

A bit long in the tooth these days, but so good they still sell them new. Fast and sharp lens, very straight forward handling but ability to take control when you want. 

Lumix LX100 or TZ100 series are one of the most capable compact travel cameras in your price range, also as capable would be Sony RX100 range, I’m sure you’ll be able to find good second hand

Lumix TZ80 are now under $400 at JB hifi, I had one, a great little camera

I had an almost brand new Leica D Lux6 fully box in your price range .

2 suggestions, both Fujifilm:

X100S or preferably X100T as it implements face tracking,

Or

Spend $300 on a used Xpro-1 body, and about $120 on a 27mm f2.8 pancake lens.

Both provide stunning Jpegs straight out of camera, or if you like Raw processing, it can be handled for both as far back as Photoshop CS6,  no need for Adobe subscription.

Miles better than Lumix or Sony 100 models - I have owned all of these and the Fujis are far far better fir street work.