Name that Flick

correct

not such a great film, but more of a zeitgeist thing as it was based on a true story book Wir Kinder vom Bahnhof Zoo about essentially children using heroin in 1970's West Berlin. I didn;t know about a remake - will look up....  :thumb:

Edited by zippi
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, zippi said:

Wir Kinder vom Bahnhof Zoo about essentially children using heroin in 1970's West Berlin.

My then girlfriend had this book and almost every home I went into while living in Austria had this book, you are right it was a big thing.

p11958734_v_v8_aj.jpg

• Like 1

On 08/07/2019 at 5:25 PM, Willco said:

Heavens!-- I saw this in the EU in the late 70's in Spanish --no Subs !--but it was captivating flick--wonder if it is on any sites now?

Anyway--Spirit of the Beehive

Good one Mr BuZZ!?

Willco

It's a great movie and as zippi noticed, wonderfully shot. One can't help but wonder if Guillermo del Toro's excellent Pan's Labyrinth wasn't greatly influenced by this movie. I have hopes SBS shows masterpieces like this in future.

P.S.There are copies of this on ebay including The Criterion Collection. You'll have to check what region format they come in. Subtitled in English.

Edited by mrbuzzardstubble
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, zippi said:

...two (for the price of one) both similar vintage, both transformative roles for the leads

image.png.77307b2925e0e37286f5d8e348be4662.png

That's Billy Bob Thornton in Sling Blade. C&W singer Dwight Yoakam was pretty good as a redneck. 

I don't know what the other pic is from.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mrbuzzardstubble said:

That's Billy Bob Thornton in Sling Blade. C&W singer Dwight Yoakam was pretty good as a redneck. 

I don't know what the other pic is from.

Correctamundo!!!!

The other one is of a similar vintage (late 90s) and the lead is in a transformative role.

I'm sure you've seen them a 1000 times however in this film they are trying to look different - in a way.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mrbuzzardstubble said:

No idea on that one. While it's still fresh in my mind I'll post a still from this good one.

07GUIDE9-articleLarge.jpg

I remember this from the distant past, about Irish fishermen on an island, but the name eludes me.

• Like 1

On 15/07/2019 at 6:34 AM, zippi said:

From the beginnings of a landmark director - arguably their first masterpiece.

Shown on SBS countless times and rightly so...

image.png.32c37d584e87b0309859ca4e931cf417.png

Eat Drink Man Woman, and yes it pops up several times a year, usually now in the later hours.

JJ

• Like 1

a musically centered one, and a cracker it is too - I remember walking out of the Palace Cinema in a daze, yet with a strange contentment - almost like after a long meal/social gathering at a favourite restaurant

image.thumb.png.064342ee3c3cfcc4a16b4665d2cf62d7.png

and for some reason it's got 2 names

5 hours ago, zippi said:

a musically centered one, and a cracker it is too - I remember walking out of the Palace Cinema in a daze, yet with a strange contentment - almost like after a long meal/social gathering at a favourite restaurant

I haven't seen this one,but that's Christopher Walken on cello and Truman Capote on the left :)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mrbuzzardstubble said:
9 hours ago, zippi said:

I haven't seen this one,but that's Christopher Walken on cello and Truman Capote on the left :)

yes Mr Capote himself (PSH) on violin, Walken on cello (not his-completely- typical role) and Kathleen Keneer on viola. Imogen Poots has a role (an early-ish role???) as well. The whole cast works so well - and the script....man I gotta watch this again. I think it's streaming on SBS OnDemand currently.

Hi All,

5 hours ago, zippi said:

yes Mr Capote himself (PSH) on violin, Walken on cello (not his-completely- typical role) and Kathleen Keneer on viola. Imogen Poots has a role (an early-ish role???) as well. The whole cast works so well - and the script....man I gotta watch this again. I think it's streaming on SBS OnDemand currently.

The Late Quartet or something along those lines, Walken tells the quartet he has to give up the group as he has Parkinson's disease as they come to a milestone year as a group.

JJ

• Like 1

Correct JJ!!!!

"The Late Quartet" is the most common name out there.

However for some reason it was released in Aus as "Performance". Gave me a whole heap of trouble trying to find a still on the interwebs, once I realised the issue - no worries. Not sure why they did this and I actually find Performance a more compelling title.

In any event: a heckuva fillum fo: sho: