Name that Flick

2 hours ago, mrbuzzardstubble said:

That's Tom Waits but I don't know the movie. Anything from the last 20 years and I'm lost.  :D

I was aiming this one at you Martin as the director is of the Monty Python fame and also the last pic posted of the singer with welding goggles or similar reminded me of Tom Waits and this movie heaps.

Another 2 pics from it:

The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus | Three Cheers for ... 

Masonic references in cinema / Freemasonry in movies | NEW ...

Edited by zippi

45 minutes ago, zippi said:

I was aiming this one at you Martin as the director is of the Monty Python fame and also the last pic posted of the singer with welding goggles or similar reminded me of Tom Waits and this movie heaps.

Another 2 pics from it:

The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus | Three Cheers for ... 

Masonic references in cinema / Freemasonry in movies | NEW ...

I've seen quite a few Terry Gilliam movies but this one I haven't.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mrbuzzardstubble said:

I've seen quite a few Terry Gilliam movies but this one I haven't.

It's a trip and a half. Made in 2009. Heath Ledgers last role as the film was half done when he passed, so J Depp, Jude Law and others filmed the rest of the scenes in Heaths place. It's a gargantuan scale of an undertaking and therefore a bit on the long side. But definitely worth a look.

The Imaginarium of Dr Parnassus by Terry Gilliam

• Like 1

14 hours ago, zippi said:

It's a trip and a half. Made in 2009. Heath Ledgers last role as the film was half done when he passed, so J Depp, Jude Law and others filmed the rest of the scenes in Heaths place. It's a gargantuan scale of an undertaking and therefore a bit on the long side. But definitely worth a look.

The Imaginarium of Dr Parnassus by Terry Gilliam

Imaginarium was mildly entertaining, saw Terry's latest The Man Who Killed Don Quixote at MIFF last year, very disappointing, it's long production time certainly shows, a dog's breakfast!

On 30/05/2019 at 12:43 PM, Ian McP said:

Imaginarium was mildly entertaining, saw Terry's latest The Man Who Killed Don Quixote at MIFF last year, very disappointing, it's long production time certainly shows, a dog's breakfast!

Haven't seen TMWKDQ, and off course Imaginarium is probably not as good as Terrys other earlier work (suffering both from "bitten off more than one can chew" and loosing the lead actor mid filming - then try to make something - anything of the project). I find with directors and artists in general there tends to be a case of diminishing returns as they head into the 3rd act of their lives (eg Francis Ford-Coppola) although it's not a rule (Clint Eastwood, Tom Waits, Leonard Cohen). And Terry being Terry has a much greater free hand, artistic licence and less hassle from the producers in his films, which of course leads to overproduction/ complexity and mess.

It's interesting that Bob Dylan in early/mid 2000's TV interview commented about those early magical albums that the only person that could have done such work is Bob in his youth and that it's almost a work of a stranger to him (heavily paraphrasing from memory...) and in a different league to his later work. 

47 minutes ago, cultfilman said:

First is  They're A Weird Mob

33 minutes ago, bob_m_54 said:

Doc Tydon (Donald Pleasance), from in Wake in Fright. Nightmare scene at Doc Tydon's place?

Correct and correct!!!!

The wake in fright, just steamrolled me when I first saw it 5 or so years ago - colossally underrated and relevant to these days also. I reckon TWIF is kinda like the drugged and abused version of  They're a Weird Mob.

1 hour ago, allthumbs said:

Gee did I feel sophisticated seeing, understanding, liking and admiring this film at the time.

Name the five lead actors and the Director.

index.jpg

La Grande Bouffe

Marco Ferreri

Marcello Mastroianni

Michel Piccoli

Phillipe Noiret

Ugo Tognazzi

Andrea Ferreol

Real hilarious( in parts-sad for the blatant decadence in others!)--long time since Ive seen it --had to lookup the Actors and Director --except for Marcello

Good choice All's

Willco

Edited by Willco
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Willco said:

La Grande Bouffe

Haha, beat me to it, definitely an entertaining film: I wouldn't have remembered the cast without a quick Google search either though

23 minutes ago, Willco said:

Marcello Mastroianni

Michel Piccoli

Phillipe Noiret

Ugo Tognazzi

Andrea Ferreol 

That's a substantial part of European Cinema right there.  For me that film was like a dash of sorbet between dinner courses, at the time I was frequenting the Valhalla and the films of Lina Wertmuller.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Willco said:

Real hilarious( in parts-sad for the blatant decadence in others!)--long time since Ive seen it --had to lookup the Actors and Director --except for Marcello

Agree wholeheartedly.

• Like 1

the dude looks like young Alec Baldwin (or maybe William)

no clue re which movie, other than : 80's cops/robbers, a Dirty Harry knockoff

edit: gotta love the chest/abdomen-scaping efforts

Edited by zippi

1 hour ago, mrbuzzardstubble said:

You're correct, zippi. It is a young Alec Baldwin.

the suspense was killing me so I googled Alec Baldwin a few hours ago and am undignified enough to say I do know the title now.

Miami Blues 

from what I could gather sounds like a worthwhile watch and somewhat above the "run of the mill" cops/robbers movies of the day. Will seek it out.

6 hours ago, zippi said:

the suspense was killing me so I googled Alec Baldwin a few hours ago and am undignified enough to say I do know the title now.

Miami Blues 

from what I could gather sounds like a worthwhile watch and somewhat above the "run of the mill" cops/robbers movies of the day. Will seek it out.

It's quite a good movie. Like you say, not your typical cops and robbers movie. Baldwin does a great job in the lead. Definitely worth watching.

1 hour ago, mrbuzzardstubble said:

It's quite a good movie. Like you say, not your typical cops and robbers movie. Baldwin does a great job in the lead. Definitely worth watching.

Ha--Good but forgettable --the only scene I remember is when the old bag sticks the knife through his hand on the counter!

OOO!! Nasty?

Willco

• Like 1

In the course of finding out the name yesterday - ran across this.

http://thepinksmoke.com/historymiamiblues1.htm

I only skimmed the looong review of sorts and it surprised in lots of ways.

Not many  reviewers will come up with a list of movies that changed their life like this

PART 1: THE DISCREET CHARM OF THE BOURGEOISIE
PART 2: NAKED
PART 3: THE SMARTEST MAN IN THE WORLD
PART 4: METROPOLITAN
PART 5: THE WHITE RIBBON
PART 6: MIAMI BLUES

and then proceed to write a damn near a book chapter on each.

I'ma definitely going to chase this movie down - look at the company it's in - how could I not. Thanks Martin @mrbuzzardstubble

• Like 1