Name that Flick

this is from the neck of woods I was born in, but also with some international clout (from early 70's).

The Cinema of Eastern Europe: Film Still of the Month: W.R ...

Dusan Makavejev | Cinema Ex Machina

wr: mysteries of the organism on Tumblr

from a recently deceased director - as another clue.

20 minutes ago, zippi said:

this is from the neck of woods I was born in, but also with some international clout (from early 70's).

The Cinema of Eastern Europe: Film Still of the Month: W.R ...

Dusan Makavejev | Cinema Ex Machina

wr: mysteries of the organism on Tumblr

from a recently deceased director - as another clue.

Mysteries of the Organism--  I think it was a Slavian Director who was booed at Cannes??

Sheesh hazy Memory on that one?!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, candyflip said:

Battle Royale?

No Good try CF-but the lead actress--that is her profile the second from the left--quite well known in Japanese cinema.

She was also in 47 Ronin and Pacific Rim

Willco

Edited by Willco

13 minutes ago, Willco said:

No Good try CF-but the lead actress--that is her profile the second from the left--quite well known in Japanese cinema.

Willco

Nah, I’d have to look it up from here, and I prefer to guess from memory.

I’m out. ?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Willco said:

Mysteries of the Organism--  I think it was a Slavian Director who was booed at Cannes??

Sheesh hazy Memory on that one?!

Well done mate!!!!

It is WR: Mysteries of the Organism by Dusan Makaveyev of Yugoslavia

I'm starting to think there isn't a film Willco is not familiar with - right on!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Willco said:

Willco

I recognised the actress Rinko Kikuchi off the bat, however clueless about the name of the flick.

Just as a stab in the dark I could say Norwegian Wood - with zero confidence

Edited by zippi
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, zippi said:

I recognised the actress Rinko Kikuchi off the bat, however clueless about the name of the flick.

Just as a stab in the dark I could say Norwegian Wood - with zero confidence

Good try guys--It is still from the Japanese Erotic Thriller 

I'll stick with more mainstream Posts.

Will

Map1.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Willco said:

Mysteries of the Organism--  I think it was a Slavian Director who was booed at Cannes

It's interesting that the film was banned in his home country of Yugoslavia for many years as well and precipitated Makaveyevs move overseas for the rest of his career. Booed in ex-Yu, booed in Cannes possibly due to diametrically opposed points of view in each case - quite telling Makaveyev was onto something quite special. A founder of Yugoslav Black Wave - a very prolific movement and period in cinema of the region (inspired to a large extent by and also a local response to French New Wave, Italian Post-Neorealism, Russian Mosfilm, Tarkovsky, Bergman). Yugoslav Black Wave of the 60s and 70s helped pave way for outstanding directors that emerged from the region later on eg Goran Markovic, Slobodan Sijan, Ademir Kenovic, Emir Kusturica, Jasmila Zbanic, Dusan Kovacevic....

1000+ images about Serbian famous films on Pinterest

Edited by zippi

7 hours ago, mrbuzzardstubble said:

Great movie this one. Willco will probably know the film. Clue: This actor is also a famous singer.

images - 2019-05-29T002853.583.jpeg

The Confession-- from the great Gosta Gravas--early 70's

I was living in Hamburg at that time and remember queuing to see this at the Theatre there that showed films in English(or other than German) on weekends--after being entranced with his earlier work Z!

Willco

Edited by Willco
  • Like 1

On 03/05/2019 at 6:09 PM, Sime V2 said:

Ok, this could be a test

Not the best image, but all the bigger challenge. 

1B609FE7-9CB4-44A3-8857-46B3B677CD58.jpeg

This one was “The Entity” BTW. 

2 hours ago, Willco said:

The Confession-- from the great Gosta Gravas--early 70's

I was living in Hamburg at that time and remember queuing to see this at the Theatre there that showed films in English(or other than German) on weekends--after being entranced with his earlier work Z!

Willco

You know your movies,Willco. Can you believe the commercial stations used to air movies of this quality years ago? Now it's all comic book heroes. Yves Montand in the cool looking shades.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, mrbuzzardstubble said:

Great movie this one. Willco will probably know the film. Clue: This actor is also a famous singer.

For a fleeting moment I thought it was an early Luc Besson film, post nuclear / environmental catastrophe with Jean Reno.  I saw it in Europe and I think it was the first film of  Reno and he was such a striking looking character had that Rocky punch drunk look. The scene that still remains with me is suddenly for no reason the sky starts to rain fish, it was so out of the blue and WTF happened that caused the sky to rain fish for God's sake.

It had a Mad Max thing about it but Besson had such a quirky vision and he's hit and miss but mainly hit haven't thought about that film for years and it's raining in Melbourne but it ain't raining fish......for now.

21 minutes ago, allthumbs said:

For a fleeting moment I thought it was an early Luc Besson film, post nuclear / environmental catastrophe with Jean Reno.  I saw it in Europe and I think it was the first film of  Reno and he was such a striking looking character had that Rocky punch drunk look. The scene that still remains with me is suddenly for no reason the sky starts to rain fish, it was so out of the blue and WTF happened that caused the sky to rain fish for God's sake.

It had a Mad Max thing about it but Besson had such a quirky vision and he's hit and miss but mainly hit haven't thought about that film for years and it's raining in Melbourne but it ain't raining fish......for now.

Subway? 

27 minutes ago, zippi said:

this will be easy as it's recent and has a plethora of awesome talent in it, including The Man in the still

Tom Waits gives the devil his due | Film | The Guardian

Yes an easy one---Should be a sitter for the boys!--- I have all his Albums?

Willco

33 minutes ago, mrbuzzardstubble said:

Subway? 

In German I think it was something like the Letze Krieg and it had the guy that played Harry in Derrick in it. I was about 25 I think when I saw it, subtitled, and it's one of those films that just resonated with me, like early Haneke films such as the 7th Continent, opened your mind to otherways of thinking outside of cinema.

Strange film, haven't seen it for decades but my remembrance of it is sketchy but I thought it as an added lane to the cinema at the time.

• Like 1