A router question.

Hi folks,

Keen to know if anything isn't working as it should here.

I don't spend much time in the router GUI, but there's software updates from time to time that I always download.  I think a new system view has appeared, and it's revealed the router WAN to be 100 Mbps.  I've never noticed this before, so not sure if the GUI view is new or there's been an alteration to the system that could be affecting performance.  I have a feeling that this isn't optimal???

The router is an ASUS RT-AC68U.  I can't find the spec for the router's WAN, but will be a little disappointed if it's 100 Mbps.  The cable from the ONT to the router was completed at the time of the house build (2012) (FTTH).  This is a screenshot of the router GUI view in question -

Capture.JPG.22a5b7eec72ea1c1f5e6424f7c586ba1.JPG

Is this an issue, or a non-issue?  Could this be throttling my LAN system?  Keen to know your thoughts...

I haven't updated the firmware on my 68U as yet, but I have the same info box and my WAN appears as 1Gbps.

My 100 Mbps LAN 1 connection is a hard-wired TV connection.

I'm not router-savvy so I don't know if there are any settings that you can play with to adjust this, but I wanted to show that the router is indeed 1 Gbps capable.

router.jpg

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, pete_mac said:

I haven't updated the firmware on my 68U as yet, but I have the same info box and my WAN appears as 1Gbps.

My 100 Mbps LAN 1 connection is a hard-wired TV connection.

I'm not router-savvy so I don't know if there are any settings that you can play with to adjust this, but I wanted to show that the router is indeed 1 Gbps capable.

router.jpg

Thanks @pete_mac, I thought that was the case.  Tonight when I get home I'll have to do some testing.  Hopefully it is just a setting first, then after that I may have to test the cable by plugging directly in to the ONT.  :thumb:

From the spec sheet "Five Gigabit Ethernet ports for fast, stable wired network connections".

It may GUI bug. I would do an Internet speed test first to see what throughput you are getting.

Ethernet ports usually have auto-negotiation for speed so you could turn on and off  router / NTU (keep the MTU off for a few minutes) and check the GUI and do a speed test. Next you can swap cables then check GUI and speed test.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cruncher said:

It may GUI bug. I would do an Internet speed test first to see what throughput you are getting.

This is a current speedtest, which is in line with my plan of 50/20.  I recently downgraded my plan from 100/40 that I had for about 6 years and regularly speed tested at 90+ Mbps -

Capture.JPG.67c1a5f102f9f5e85c3174111d8f461b.JPG

If possible, it would be nice to get the Ethernet port that points towards the WAN link back to 1Gbps. I am not sure in practice how much difference it would make, but if it is easy done then it would remove any doubt. 

If it is a Ethernet speed negotiating problem, this is one of the few times switching the devices Off and On again can help (or unplugging the Ethernet cable) can help.

Edited by Cruncher

Yeah power cycled the ONT & router several times - no joy, still getting a display of 100 Mbps on the WAN.  Have updated the firmware and factory reset.  Having to go through testing the router with a new cable between the ONT is a real PITA. 

Looking online these things can get gimped...might just be easier to buy a new router.  ?

1 hour ago, Cruncher said:

Yes, getting to my NTU is a pain.

Is it possible to swap the WAN / LAN Ethernet cables in the router around and see if the 100M follows the cable.

I think I know what you're getting at and it's crossed my mind, but given the set-up it's not possible without buying a length of Cat5e or 6 at about 15 metres in length (plus removing the ONT off the garage wall - not confident with that).  Just so we're on the same page -

• The WAN cable between the ONT and router runs through walls, the ceiling and is fitted off behind the ONT which is mounted to the garage wall.  I'd have to remove the ONT off the wall in the garage to get to that end, so that's not happening.  The other end of the cable from the ONT into the router can be accessed;
  • The three LAN cables are all installed through walls, the ceiling and end up in living or bedrooms.  No where near enough length to reach the ONT in the garage.  Obviously the router ends of these cables can be accessed.

If I'm missing something here, let me know...

I checked the WAN cable and it's printed as CAT 5e.

16 minutes ago, Kaynin said:

If I'm missing something here, let me know...

I think he's saying plug the WAN cable into the routers LAN1 port and vice versa and see if the 100mb speeds changes to LAN1 port on your GUI.

I assume internet will not work in this scenario but you may still get throughput readings. As a complete novice in router set up, does being 100mb really matter if you only have a maximum speed of 50mb?

Edited by blybo

Actually best to be clear here because I could be using the wrong terminology.  I have two boxes installed, one on the wall outside the house, and one in the garage.  I've had a look at both and can't see a black Cat5e coming in, that would terminate at the router. 

This is what I call the ONT and have been talking about.  I can see the power lead and also the black/white cable that's goes in to the wall, no other cables are visible.  It's in the garage -

IMG_3212.thumb.JPG.a083b69156062f3ac134188057be36ce.JPG

This is the box on the exterior of the house.  I have plugged a laptop directly in to the POTS1 point and accessed the internet when fault finding previous issues 7 years ago.  You can see some black cable at the base of this unit, but I can't see where it goes in to the box, and it runs in to the house brick wall.  I can't see any printing on that cable -

IMG_3213.thumb.JPG.02521e7539b6b865d1df85cfd41f7a18.JPG

2 hours ago, Cruncher said:

Is it possible to swap the WAN / LAN Ethernet cables in the router around and see if the 100M follows the cable.

24 minutes ago, blybo said:

I think he's saying plug the WAN cable into the routers LAN1 port and vice versa and see if the 100mb speeds changes to LAN1 port on your GUI.

Ahhh, of course.  So I've switched the WAN into the unused LAN 4 port, and the issue follows the cable.  Thanks for the suggestion @Cruncher -

Capture.JPG.501cdee63a205f892e5c4463d9e15845.JPG

So, next I'll speak to my ISP and see if I'm being throttled.  After that, I'll likely have to call a tech out to fault find if it's the cable or the previous 2x boxes.

Unless it is the Dark Blue cable going into the port labled "L/A   1G" in your photo then there is not much we can do. If you pull that cable and the modem 'Wan' port goes down then that is an easy test. My cable changes colour somewhere inside the walls of my house.

Some routers have statistics on the ports and we can check them.

On 29/04/2019 at 11:45 PM, Cruncher said:

If possible, it would be nice to get the Ethernet port that points towards the WAN link back to 1Gbps. I am not sure in practice how much difference it would make

None.

Check for packet loss on the link ... if insignificant, then there's no problem.

Edited by davewantsmoore