Saladman

LS50 Passive Buyers Remorse

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying g that excellent performance can’t be had from passive speakers, rather that active will likely become the dominant market option in time.  I expect that what will be achieved is better performance per cost, at least in the middle of the market.

1 minute ago, Buffle said:

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying g that excellent performance can’t be had from passive speakers, rather that active will likely become the dominant market option in time.  I expect that what will be achieved is better performance per cost, at least in the middle of the market.

That's pretty much what I said about that middle ground. For the foreseeable future though I think the stratospherically priced flagship speakers will remain passive. If one day class D amplification surpasses all other options at a fraction of the cost of its A/AB counterparts things may look very different, but at least to me that hasn't happened yet. Once upon a time solid state was going to replace valves and produce better sound at a fraction of the cost yet even today the finest solid state amps cost about as much as the finest valve amps. I suspect class D may end up doing the same thing yet again, but only time will tell.

36 minutes ago, Ittaku said:

I seriously doubt the crossover in Kef's passive speakers is that bad that it would be rate limiting so much that good quality source and amplification wouldn't make them sound a lot better. Separate dedicated amplifiers per driver just means even cheaper amps since you now have multiple amps - yes I understand (more than most in fact since I design and build speakers) the advantages of each driver having its own amplifier but I argue that if you stuck those passive LS50s with high quality source and amp they'll definitely sound a lot better than the actives, but at a price premium.

I never presumed the passive version has a bad crossover, but I presume the active one is superior and I reckon if you stare in the mirror long enough you will too. And amps don't really matter. 😏

1 minute ago, Satanica said:

I never presumed the passive version has a bad crossover, but I presume the active one is superior and I reckon if you stare in the mirror long enough you will too. And amps don't really matter. 😏

No thanks. Time to agree to disagree.

40 minutes ago, Ittaku said:

No thanks. Time to agree to disagree.

Oh that time was quite some time ago. Sorry, I just disagreed one more time. 😏

4 minutes ago, Satanica said:

Oh that time was quite some time ago. Sorry, I just disagreed one more time. 😏

Agreed

[moderator post] With that, we have probably long past point of remorse for the buyer, so think best close this thread. Its served its purpose. If thinking other things to discuss probably best start another thread [end moderator post]