Saladman

LS50 Passive Buyers Remorse

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, TerryO said:

Seriously does a newbie asking a reasonable question deserve this kind of spray?

It wasn't meant to be personal. It was meant as something for everyone to consider.

When you think about it asking a reasonable question about Hi-Fi sometimes ends up being a complete failure. Why? Because the answers will vary from who responds in the range of Yes, No, to Maybe. In other words no consensus at all.

So getting back to my question(s) which nobody has had a go at answering. That is, if burn is real what is the point of evaluating a product that has not been? Or evaluating a product that one does not know how far it has progressed through the "burn in process"?

Edited by Satanica

2 hours ago, Hydrology said:

The future is ACTIVE...

Take it as you are being sarcastic. As ACTIVE speakers have been around for a very long time.

I think active speakers are becoming popular, and same time many probably think this is a new technology due to wireless concept.

5 hours ago, Satanica said:

So getting back to my question(s) which nobody has had a go at answering. That is, if burn is real what is the point of evaluating a product that has not been? Or evaluating a product that one does not know how far it has progressed through the "burn in process"?

At least at my level, when I take home electronics (that is worth a lot) to evaluate, I make sure to insist on getting ones that have at least 200 hours on them according to the store. Therefore whether the component in question is subject to burn-in or not, it takes that out of the equation. I have purchased amps that did not sound anything like the sample I auditioned until they had burned in.

1 hour ago, Ittaku said:

At least at my level, when I take home electronics (that is worth a lot) to evaluate, I make sure to insist on getting ones that have at least 200 hours on them according to the store. Therefore whether the component in question is subject to burn-in or not, it takes that out of the equation. I have purchased amps that did not sound anything like the sample I auditioned until they had burned in.

its pretty standard for most stores to have a burn in period for their demo gear. I remember this as far back as 20+ years ago. if borrowing for home demo they also usually give you a well run in demo model. no big deal. if not run in yet they let you know usually. again something to factor in. 

4 hours ago, Ittaku said:

But without gear having some sort logging system to say how many hours it has been on, you don't really know.

The store could lie or make an honest mistake, they whole thing still sounds risky.

Especially if something like an amp after burn in will sound "nothing like" a fresh one.

Also, where did you get this 200 hours from? What if it takes 2000 hours for an amp to burn in? Risky.

20 minutes ago, Satanica said:

But without gear having some sort logging system to say how many hours it has been on, you don't really know.

The store could lie or make an honest mistake, they whole thing still sounds risky.

Especially if something like an amp after burn in will sound "nothing like" a fresh one.

Also, where did you get this 200 hours from? What if it takes 2000 hours for an amp to burn in? Risky.

Valve amps have tube hour counters on them.

10 hours ago, vinilink said:

Take it as you are being sarcastic. As ACTIVE speakers have been around for a very long time.

I think active speakers are becoming popular, and same time many probably think this is a new technology due to wireless concept.

Not being sarcastic at all. You are correct on both points, but it doesn't change the fact that active systems are on the rise. People like minimalism and will usually take performance hits in favour of aesthetic. The active system can offer this without the compromise.

1 hour ago, Hydrology said:

Not being sarcastic at all. You are correct on both points, but it doesn't change the fact that active systems are on the rise. People like minimalism and will usually take performance hits in favour of aesthetic. The active system can offer this without the compromise.

some been saying this for 2 decades plus... theres nothing new about actives... eg just about everyone likely have an active speaker in a subwoofer. there is some distinction between active and passive though and thats related to xover. in a subwoofer that makes sense to make active as passive xover for that is likely going to be wasteful. but for a little stand mount like the kef here ?

to give example on contrary the top very top of B&W standpoint in the 805D3 is very much passive and what does it have for cross over ? one very high quality mudorf capacitor... sometimes less is more.... and its not like B&W are some strangers to active speakers...most will remember their snails from decades back that were fully active... and certainly nothing about minimalism but certainly had a lot going for them in the aesthetics more from their snail nature.

I think in many cases also have to be careful of the word active particularly where really its just powered... what are awe talking when we use the term active or powered then ? is it really only difference then between having the amp in the speaker or out ? there are plenty of active speakers people run with multiple power amps in tow as well so its just another animal that can come in its many forms. 

clearly in this case the ref wireless is for convenience to try make easy for folk ie here's a speaker we'll choose power amp for you. you'll still need to use an umbilical power it and get source into it :) 

4 minutes ago, betty boop said:

but for a little stand mount like the kef here ?

Running active where active means active crossover (as opposed to just having the amps on the inside ) can be very good in the case of standmounts. 

Just look at SGR or Kii or D&D or devialet