Hi-def from Amazon

6 hours ago, 08Boss302 said:

Just further to this.

I logged into my USA and UK  Amazon accounts, it allows you right to the log in for the HD music trial, no issues...I actually thought it was a goer, but right at the finalisation it notes my credit card is based in AU it blocks you from the final step. 

Pretty sure with Qoboz or other and using a VPN the difference is/was you could use your PayPal account to pay and that didn't lockout the process like a local credit card does.

There are way more tech savvy folk on here that might find and share a way for us to trial this but these are my findings thus far.

Hmm, I might have found a loophole as I managed to subscribe but can't play anything:( I might try to get a VPN trial to  give it a go

• Like 2

Just now, rand129678 said:

So it accepted your Australian credit card as payment for the 90 day trial?

Yup, I just noticed that someone else created another thread and my post was moved there, this is the link I used, https://www.amazon.com/music/unlimited/hd

I was using my tablet with a Telstra sim on it, not sure if that was the trick

17 minutes ago, hlov said:

Yup, I just noticed that someone else created another thread and my post was moved there, this is the link I used, https://www.amazon.com/music/unlimited/hd

I was using my tablet with a Telstra sim on it, not sure if that was the trick

You have incredible luck. Be sure to grab a Powerball ticket tomorrow!

Just double checking - an Australian credit card AND it's Australian billing address worked for you?

Doesn't work for me. And I tried it on my Telstra SIM iPad too.

Edited by rand129678
  • Haha 1

There'll hopefully be a work around that pops up or better yet Amazon Au gets on board soon

I'm also hoping it's a good service to use on phone, desktop and with Bluos. 

I'm with Tidal for its SQ but Spotify wins out on functionality and all other points incl use with Bluos 

Once I start the free trial of what Amazon Au currently offers it'll give an intro of potential things to come 

40 minutes ago, rand129678 said:

You have incredible luck. Be sure to grab a Powerball ticket tomorrow!

Just double checking - an Australian credit card AND it's Australian billing address worked for you?

Doesn't work for me. And I tried it on my Telstra SIM iPad too.

05B0DCE7-B731-4D3C-A177-FC7E1EB89021.png

@hlov are you 100% sure that's the new HD plan? And not just the regular Amazon Music plan (which is available in Oz).

I don't see any of the HD or ultraHD symbols in your screenshot.

There should be a few ultraHD Miles Davis albums.

Can you have a look for the symbols. Try on the Desktop app if you can.

image.png.b93d47553d66491b2926dadc863f9379.png

image.png.489b988421f94ea5eb8ce21411d3040f.png

Edited by rand129678

3 minutes ago, rand129678 said:

@hlov are you 100% sure that's the new HD plan? And not just the regular Amazon Music plan (which is available in Oz).

I don't see any of the HD or ultraHD symbols in your screenshot.

There should be a few ultraHD Miles Davis albums.

Can you have a look for the symbols. Try on the Desktop app if you can.

image.png.b93d47553d66491b2926dadc863f9379.png

image.png.489b988421f94ea5eb8ce21411d3040f.png

You are right, can’t see any of those, weird as I select the 15 USD or whatever the price was and when I tried the HD link again it opens  the Australian amazon music for signing up even after I have registered this morning and it shows that on the mobile app, it’s vpn time now, just found a 14 days trial

16 minutes ago, hlov said:

You are right, can’t see any of those, weird as I select the 15 USD or whatever the price was and when I tried the HD link again it opens  the Australian amazon music for signing up even after I have registered this morning and it shows that on the mobile app, it’s vpn time now, just found a 14 days trial

No worries at all.

They've locked it down the way Apple iTunes has been locked down for years. To sign up for a US account you need a US credit card with US billing address.

A VPN won't help, just like it's never helped with iTunes US store.

But hopefully we won't have to wait too long.

Send Amazon Music AU a request like a couple of us have done. Doesn't hurt.

• Like 1

I’ll bet Spotify and Apple Music have the ability to spin up the equivalent high-rez service within a software dev cycle or two, but in terms of ROI and customer requests it hasn’t made it to the top of their list yet. Hopefully, this will get it across the line.

However, if it flops it could also kill it off for 5+ years or more.

On another note, hopefully it will bring down the price of Tidal.

• Like 2

Can only hope.

I am with Tidal mainly due to SQ, but have done a Deezer trial, Spotify trial, and Qoboz trial. 

Spotify for me wins so easily in terms of function and keeping things on track with your listening habits. 

(Small Rant)

Last night I signed up for for a 30 day (local) amazon music subscription.  Putting aside their current bit rate and SQ etc, I have to say, they've got a long way to go IMHO.  Along with SQ its also Important for me to have a decent overall user experience, functionality and personalisation options. 

Straight from the get go with Amazon Music Its pretty hard to find genre options.  The general browse/search bar is tucked in the top corner which is ok, but hardly sensible.  If you look up a band or artist their albums are not presented chronologically which can make finding an album harder if the discography is large.  Not the be all and end but live albums and compilations are not separated from the studio offerings either.

Unfortunately, unless I am missing something there does not seem to be a favorite artists option either, where you can build a catalogue of your fav artists - you can create a playlist of the artist  and this might be Amazons Music way of letting you choose which albums of that artist you'd like from them and you name the playlist as the artist but for me that is not ideal.

You can drag and drop songs and albums though and create playlists of that nature.

Not sure if I am missing something with all the above gaps as I see them, but with the release of HiRes one would hope they do a major over haul of their desktop and mobile app and follow the likes of Spotify and or Tidal and Apple Music etc with some of the options they provide their subscribers on the service. If/When HiRes comes to Amazon AU i'll definitely check it out

Without question If Spotify released even just FLAC level tomorrow, I'd be back over there without question, for me, nothing has come close to their set up.  I have no social media so none of that stuff appeals to me with any streaming service but the sheer usability and way its set up with suggestions and the like wins easily IME however OMMV of course.

Thanks for the 'initial impressions' user report, @08Boss302 .

Is there a User Guide / FAQ / Instructions for Amazon Prime? Or even a Help system once you have signed up?

Also, are you confirming that there is no HD service on the AU subscription?

Regards,

Grant

Edited by Grant Slack

10 minutes ago, Grant Slack said:

Thanks for the 'initial impressions' user report, @08Boss302 .

Is there a User Guide / FAQ / Instructions for Amazon Prime? Or even a Help system once you have signed up?

Also, are you confirming that there is no HD service on the AU subscription?

Regards,

Grant

Definately no HD service here yet sadly.

I dont have Amazon Prime but have registered 30 days free on Amazon AU music unlimited which i think is at 320kbps - so equal to Tidal premium and Spotify extreme etc.  You dont need prime to get Amazon Music but i think it gives a you few extra dollars off.  Not an issue on the free trial though.

This morning i spent some time googling and running through the help menu on Amazon Music but could not see anything to answer the gaps as I see them.  Oddly, in my searching there was lots on Tidal from a few years back where it was behind the 8 ball, but they have by the sound of it made mammoth changes to be where they are now in terms of options etc.  I think the leaders here are Apple and Spotify without question and the others mimic with a slight spin - same / same but different kind of thing LOL

• Like 1

Amazon will be happy to make a loss on this business like may others to win over more shoppers. That's why it will be around forever. 

But yes appears to be no perfect solution, the fact that its not tied to MQA is great, I hate the fact that you need purchase specific streamers or DACs to get the full MQA experience.

Spotify is without doubt the leader in streaming, their user interface is the best by far and lookout if they ever decide to go HD, everyone else will die a slow death but some people will be happy to pay less for the same sound quality and accept a lower user experience.... probably tight asses like me to be honest!

• Like 2