Hi-def from Amazon

43 minutes ago, Luc said:

@buddyev  Russ can you watch/listen to things like YT via your laptop/PC into your monitor or TV screen(obviously through your system I mean, or one of them)?

You mean stream YouTube from my computer into my sound system? Probably can, but never really bother with it. 

I have a YouTube app on my TV / Apple TV so that plays through the system but rarely look at it. 

1 hour ago, buddyev said:

You mean stream YouTube from my computer into my sound system? Probably can, but never really bother with it. 

I have a YouTube app on my TV / Apple TV so that plays through the system but rarely look at it. 

Do you know the Tiny Desk Concerts on NPR? If you don't then you should have a bit of a look, there is some fantastic(no hyperbole here) mini concerts and I don't know how they do it but the broadcast SQ is just great. I know you like world music and you'll find some great acts there. If you have a lazy hour or two then try a few of them. They're on YT but I actually prefer going through NPR to read up on the acts. 

Here's a short one for instance:   Yo Yo Ma

They go from 10 to 20 minutes and you'll come across all types here.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Luc said:

Pfft! It's related in a kinda way ?

Tiny Desk is great (especially check out Dolores O'Riordan) but sorry nothing to do with Amazon hi rez streaming. Completely changes music streaming if it comes to Australia.

• 3 weeks later...

According to Sir Zingmore's linked article:

Amazon high def will be better def than CD red book (no spec given)
Tidal offers  CD red book 16bit 44kHz and also 24bit 96kHz.
Spotify premium offers  lower than CD red book

Can someone inform me what Spotify's best bit depth and kHz is?

One has to keep in mind that if you're a music lover, the resolution/sample rate is one factor, the other factor is library depth on offer in your preferred genre.   We know Spotify has good depth in most genre's, but personally I'm not sure about Tidal (or a future high-def Amazon).

• 3 months later...

Released today. looks to be great and better value than any of the other hi res / mqa offerings

Not in Australia yet from what i can gather but im sure with a VPN much like how others obtain Qoboz this can be had.

I wonder if Spotify will follow?  I am a Tidal user but really dislike the constantly poor suggestions and rap bias etc so this Amazon offering is of great appeal.  I stream through a bluesound node but now i also have potentially more ext DAC choices.  Hoping it comes here as it presents a great win/win, Amazons music library is also said to be every bit as good as the others.

Here are few links of its roll out today

https://www.cnet.com/news/amazon-music-hd-launches-to-compete-with-tidal/

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/amazon-music-hi-res-audio-885366/

https://www.theverge.com/2019/9/17/20869526/amazon-music-hd-lossless-flac-tier-spotify-apple

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/amazon-music-hd-hi-res-streaming/

• Like 1

On 18/05/2019 at 7:31 PM, marten said:

Amazon high def will be better def than CD red book (no spec given)

sounds more like another version of Tidal

Amazon Music HD offers customers more than 50 million lossless HD songs, with a bit depth of 16 bits and a sample rate of 44.1kHz (CD quality). In addition, customers can stream millions more songs in Ultra HD (better than CD quality), with a bit depth of 24 bits and a sample rate up to 192 kHz.

In the past Roon has had no luck getting Spotify to partner with them, perhaps Amazon will.

Edited by blybo

28 minutes ago, ray4410 said:

read the info below the sign up page,

DIGITAL SERVICES AND CONTENT MAY ONLY AVAILABLE IN THE US.

It might be possible using a VPN, its how others are getting around the geo blocks associated to Qoboz.  From the links I posted earlier it said Germany, Japan and the US.

I actually contaced Amazon Australia customer service this morning to ask more on the potential release, they popped me through to their music dept and at first their music dept knew nothing about it which I thought was atrocious.   I asked him to google it and he sought further information and said it was not yet here (clearly noted in each article I had read) but he did say it was something he'd send to their business team. 

If there was a contact option and they received enough demand I would think it could float here sooner than later.

• Like 1

i just received this email also

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************

Hello .........

This is Anil form Amazon. As discussed I have forwarded the feedback to our Business team.

Please be assured each suggestion will be read and definitely taken into consideration as customer feedback like yours helps us continue to improve the service and products we provide.

We're constantly working to improve our Music experience.

I would like to thank you again for taking time to share your thoughts regarding Amazon Music.

Thank you for contacting Amazon and have a good day.

Best regards,

***************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Just further to this.

I logged into my USA and UK  Amazon accounts, it allows you right to the log in for the HD music trial, no issues...I actually thought it was a goer, but right at the finalisation it notes my credit card is based in AU it blocks you from the final step. 

Pretty sure with Qoboz or other and using a VPN the difference is/was you could use your PayPal account to pay and that didn't lockout the process like a local credit card does.

There are way more tech savvy folk on here that might find and share a way for us to trial this but these are my findings thus far.

4 hours ago, 08Boss302 said:

There are way more tech savvy folk on here that might find and share a way for us to trial this but these are my findings thus far.

Same issue for me.

I've also contacted Amazon Australia and they've also submitted a request to their Business Team.

Hopefully more people do this.

17 minutes ago, rand129678 said:

I've also contacted Amazon Australia and they've also submitted a request to their Business Team.

Hopefully more people do this.

Agreed

I think the more they see the request/demand the better chance of the roll out here.  This evening I am going to give their current service a sign up for the 30 days free so I can just play around on their page and see how it works and their content depth etc.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, 08Boss302 said:

I think the more they see the request/demand the better chance of the roll out here. 

It's definitely a question of when, not if.

They've gone with the top 4 markets to start with - Australia is right up there though, so we're next in line (hopefully).

image.png.f008b0bfc529bcdcfa28da8e32430578.png

Edited by rand129678
  • Like 1