BioBrian

Gestating large sensitive passive 15" augmenting subs

On 24/05/2019 at 9:50 AM, BioBrian said:

What were the advantages of a sphere again?

At these frequencies.   Zero.

On 24/05/2019 at 10:36 AM, BioBrian said:

It's almost equal to what comes out the front

Almost exactly equal.

that gives us  silly grins and knocks on the door. But it's stuck inside the box, with the only possible escape being by moving the cone

Perhaps nothing like as much as you think.

Sounds transmits through the cone

Sound pressure does not generate enough force to "move the cone" (or at least not as much as you think - given the quote above)

These things are not at all the primary concern for the SQ of your sub.    I'd urge you to focus on "what matters".

That has to be a lot of distortion, my little brain tells me.

If you take measurements of an otherwise identical dipole (open baffle, no box) vs a monopole (box) .... then we can see there isn't a lot going on.

I've been tossing around the idea of using lots of baffles with smaller-than-usual holes (an extreme would be like a silencer??), making the air have to 'work' a bit harder, and lose more energy; less large reflections from open surfaces. But I suppose that's just 'stuffing' on a larger scale.

Not quite sure I follow what you're suggesting .... but I'm curious.   However I think this "energy dissipation thing", is likely energy which doesn't exist (or isn't a problem) ..... so no matter what neat solution we come up with - it's not going to actually solve a problem.     But like I said, if you can explain the idea a little more!?

On 24/05/2019 at 12:22 PM, Grant Slack said:

Hello, Linkwitz described the problem as somewhat intransigent, requiring either impracticably small or impracticably large enclosures to mitigate the effect.

In the end, we kinda got SL around to the idea that this wasn't "no box" sound .... it was "dipole" sound.

If you think about the magnitude of "distortion" we are dealing with here, between:

The radiation of monopole vs dipole

Reflections, etc .... caused by the box+air attached to one side of the driver

We're not even in the same universe .... when considering a "reasonable" box.

On 24/05/2019 at 12:22 PM, Grant Slack said:

IMO the back-energy does not so much present as non-linear distortion, but as an effect on the frequency response.

YES!   (That's what I'm saying above)

On 24/05/2019 at 12:30 PM, Auracle said:

Also, keep in mind that you can never really have equal energy from a cone driver as they are physically different on each side

That's true.... but the differences are surprisingly small, until you reach quite high Hz (and even then).

On 24/05/2019 at 12:44 PM, soundbyte said:

solution for me, I cannot do woodworking too well.   I feel it works well, others may think not, but that is their prerogative.

The key (as we've been saying all through the thread and above by Grant) is the frequency response.    OB subwoofers won't work well without EQ (which isn't allowed here).

Otherwise, it would be a suggestion .... although I do think that the benefit is in the upper subwoofer to 200Hz odd range.   For a true subwoofer only, I'd go for a box.

11 hours ago, jasonphilip said:

The Twins I recall, some utter nutter with pairs of 10Kw neodymium magnet 150mm voice coil 21' monster bass drivers.

This one here? Another Taswegian...

Sadly now persona non grata...

@BioBrian

Anything happening with the new subs as yet?

Entering your second trimester (try mister)?

Posted (edited)

@soundbyte

Hah! Not sure how to continue the analogy - "pregnant pause" is the best I can manage at the moment.

Truthfully though, it's been death by a thousand frosts, as dreaming about a heating system has taken priority. I can only manage a few minutes at a time in the Barn (lucky to get over 5 deg lately), and the process of thinking there has proven too much of a challenge.

I did put some tape on the floor to try getting an idea of the projected (actual) size, and my present design all looks a bit silly. Too long and thin? 1500mm would make them the same height as my DTQWT-12s, but I doubt they would ever be set up side-by-side seriously. 1200mm would be more practical, especially in cutting from 8 x 4 sheets of plywood; this would mean much wider baffles though, and limit any future option of a floor-standing option, as they'd just take up too much space, especially in their triangular shape.

There's also an acoustic question - I'm not really on top of the the whole "augmenting subs" thing, as in: where is the best room placement for them, to fill nulls. Reading today from @Audiophile Neuroscience and his mate "Barry", I started worrying about exciting modes if placed in the ceiling corners. But to counter modes, maybe this is what is needed?

I suppose I'd have the option of lowering them down the walls - would make a couple of nice tables/shelves to rest drinks & nibbles on at the next GTG...

Hope you're enjoying your new cosiness!

Edited by BioBrian
ocd issues, modes/nodes, whatthehell

Oh, and forgot to mention, I'm also a bit "shatto Le Tour"...

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, BioBrian said:

There's also an acoustic question - I'm not really on top of the the whole "augmenting subs" thing, as in: where is the best room placement for them, to fill nulls. Reading today from @Audiophile Neuroscience and his mate "Barry", I started worrying about exciting nodes if placed in the ceiling corners. But to counter nodes, maybe this is what is needed?

I am coming in way too late to this thread but "Barry" is this guy

http://www.discogs.com/artist/389175-Barry-Diament?sort=year%2Casc&limit=500&noanv=1

Not sure if this is any use to you but here is a quote from somebody (not Barry)who is an acoustic engineer and who has a masters in physics

"When you build a reverb chamber for acoustic testing, the classic speaker position to stimulate all the room’s resonant modes is in the tri-corner [the point where two walls and the ceiling or floor intersect]. This is a room made from concrete two-feet thick coated by two inches of polished marble, and that has a reverberation time of fifteen seconds. The classic position for the measurement microphone to pick up all those resonances is also in a tri-corner. "

Edited by Audiophile Neuroscience

25 minutes ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

an acoustic engineer and who has a masters in physics

Welcome, David, to my low-key thread. I've enjoyed your posts elsewhere, especially as you favour acoustic rather than DSP solutions to bass issues. Can you lure your mate down this way at all? You never know - one american guy told me the fly fishing here was legendary...

Your participation would be much appreciated.

Pregnant pause sounds about right.

What was the result of your ultra"sound"?

With two 15 inchers involved they are probably only going to be called boys?

2 hours ago, BioBrian said:

I suppose I'd have the option of lowering them down the walls - would make a couple of nice tables/shelves to rest drinks & nibbles on at the next GTG...

GTG?.......GTG in the snow?........Coldest GTG ever?.......How about next weekend?

Four days should be enough time to build and finish the total build!

No need for a beer fridge either it would seem at your place, just place the beer out near the paddock gate.

You could always put up a few rails on the walls, use ceiling mounting facilities and mount the boxes so that they are movable (hang the two boxes from 2 or 4 endless chains), then test in different places, you should have enough room?

Welding cables for the sub wiring to reduce resistance on such long runs?

Seriously, I hope that you can work out what you are going to do with the build.

I will wait patiently for the birth of the twin subs.

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, BioBrian said:

Welcome, David, to my low-key thread. I've enjoyed your posts elsewhere, especially as you favour acoustic rather than DSP solutions to bass issues. Can you lure your mate down this way at all? You never know - one american guy told me the fly fishing here was legendary...

Your participation would be much appreciated.

Hi Brian,

I cannot be of any help as I would never to presume to offer advice if I have no experience in the area. I have never built subs or incorporated subs into my system apart from one minor attempt many years ago, just for fun.

I can only speak from my experience of full range floorstanders, their placement in the room and room treatments/ Eq I have used and researched for bass control .

I'm sure you already know that if you want to maximally stimulate room modes and reinforce resonances, place the source bass driver in the corner. Obviously that's usually the opposite of what most want to achieve with floor-standing stereo loudspeakers. If the source is placed out from the corners it cannot stimulate all of the possible room mode resonances, just some of them, depending on that driving location. It is only those stimulated modes that need to be spaced out to give a more even distribution of resonant frequencies ( the ones that are not stimulated obviously don't matter). I only mention the latter as some people think that a particular room may have all sorts of uneven mode distribution based on the room geometry, however it is the speaker placement and how low the speaker goes which will determine if the modes get stimulated at all.

Hey good luck with your project, I will be keen to see how it turns out.

Oh by the way, I see what you did there with "lure" and "fly fishing" haha

Barry would be a huge plus to the forum, such a wealth of knowledge and a true gentleman.

Cheers

David

Edited by Audiophile Neuroscience

17 hours ago, soundbyte said:

What was the result of your ultra"sound"?

Sadly, the radiologist said it's unlikely I can achieve full dilation in 3 days. And a Caesar would be too dangerous. We'll just have to hold our breath for the next GTG date (except me - better get onto those breathing exercises).

Meanwhile, I'll just keep feeding the beasts. Need more plywood, BUT... usual story down here - can't do that until you've done this, and you can't do that until you've done this, etc etc.

I borrowed a friend's elderly Hilux to get the first load of ply, and had a sore leg (and mild PTSD) for a few days after enduring the perched position and needing several tonnes of force to get the brake to understand my intentions. (Not to mention the near-death experience of getting back in my car, and discovering the brake DID work). So, having a trailer just sitting here, I decided that's how to do the rest. NO - first I had to get a towbar fitted, then re-do the trailer wiring and swap plug type, fit new reflectors, repair lights, re-weld a couple of suss joints, spray some zinc around, take it for inspection, be told someone had stuffed up the original data entry, had to buy a new compliance plate and sets of letter and number stamps, stuff up one and have to buy another compliance plate, spend 4 hours stamping the thing, pay the inspector, pay the new rego, and wonder what the hell was all that about. Now it's raining for weeks on end, with no letup in sight. Hmm.

So now I'm starting a flirtation with Daphile on my music server - in an attempt to get DSD-512 happening. Better than cleaning out the bottom drawers, I suppose.

23 hours ago, BioBrian said:

I 'm not really on top of the the whole "augmenting subs" thing, as in: where is the best room placement for them, to fill nulls. Reading today from and his mate "Barry", I started worrying about exciting nodes if placed in the ceiling corners. But to counter nodes, maybe this is what is needed?

All of the answers depend on each other .... and the best answer depends on exactly what you're trying to achieve.

• Max SPL required
  • Frequency range required
  • Possible positions in the room where subwoofers can go (be realistic)
  • Ideal size of the subwoofer (be realistic)

If you don't know the answers to these questions.  Good.  Stop.  Don't avoid answering them.   Figure out the answers ... and they will lead you to clear "you have to do this".

I can add to the (above) list of hurdles conquered - fitting new bearings, tyres, and tubes to the trailer. Cost, from tow bar to safe(?) trailer, now over $1300, but it finally did the job.

@Upfront  "Stubborn" works, Linc! Thanks again for your kind offer.

1988370094_Newplyarrives.jpg.e9e0c2f5efe69292acc628ec3db50ccd.jpg

Driving past the sites of 2 previous nasty trailer accidents brought up some vivid memories; I can't describe how relieved and pleased I am to have this lot here.

On 17/07/2019 at 7:17 PM, davewantsmoore said:

exactly what you're trying to achieve.

• Max SPL required
  • Frequency range required
  • Possible positions in the room where subwoofers can go (be realistic)
  • Ideal size of the subwoofer (be realistic)

If you don't know the answers to these questions.  Good.  Stop.  Don't avoid answering them

Well, thanks to lots of feedback and encouragement from you and others, and my patented set of rhodium-plated blinkers, I think it's pretty well plain sailing from here.

I did some more reading about augmenting subs, and it confirmed that 4 is a good number to deal with room modes. And that this should be the first step, before room treatments (and EQ of whatever flavour). I'll have 4 x 15" passive drivers in the room - 2 as part of the stereo "fronts", and these 2 to fill the nulls.

The size is set at 320 litres internal (good old WinISD), first trial of placement in room is decided (and variable), drivers ready.

Just have to find that saw, stuffed away in the bowels of the Barn in the frantic cleanup for the Holton day.

I've been wishing for one of these for ages, and finally got one. Much neater than some others I'd seen. Cool toy!

Now it's easy to check distance of each speaker from the listening position. It remembers and shows the last 2 measurements - perfect for the job.

https://www.jaycar.com.au/mini-laser-distance-meter-20m/p/QM1626

7 hours ago, BioBrian said:

I've been wishing for one of these for ages, and finally got one. Much neater than some others I'd seen. Cool toy!

Now it's easy to check distance of each speaker from the listening position. It remembers and shows the last 2 measurements - perfect for the job.

https://www.jaycar.com.au/mini-laser-distance-meter-20m/p/QM1626

Yes, one of the handiest tools I have too! 🙂

SS