SOLD: FS: Krell FBI - Fully Balanced Integrated Amplifier - 300 watts Class A

SOLD

Item: Krell FBI
Price:  $7500 FIRM, this is a bargain considering the competition it has in that price point
Item Condition: Absolutely mint
Reason for selling: I need a Preamp to run an active crossover for my biamp system.
Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
Extra Info:

I never thought I would sell this amp but an unexpected change of speakers has forced me back down the pre/power route. I need a preamp to drive an active crossover so I can no longer have a one box solution.

The FBI is a D'Agostino design and as such is an absolute sledge hammer. Over engineered, endless power on tap and reliable. Rated at 300 watts into 8 but Stereophile benched it at 430 into 8. This thing will drive anything into any load. Has sliding Plateau Biasing so the amp does not run that hot until driven hard, any valve amp gets hotter so don't be deterred by the Class A operation. The only thing to consider is the shear weight of the unit at 50kg, 3KVA toroid contributes to a lot of that. The tranny weighs as much as the Vitus integrated alone.

At the time of purchasing the Krell I had a 84db pair of speakers hooked up to a Vitus RI100 integrated. These two integrateds aren't even in the same realm of performance and current capability, the RRP of both units does suggest the Krell "should" be a better performer and in my opinion its not a matter of preference, The Krell is better in every aspect, especially in driving a difficult speaker, the Vitus really struggled but I do like to listen loud. Still both amps are listed as 300 watts but one clearly did not sound like it. If any one local wants to bring their RI100 I am happy to A/B them, actually I would welcome it. I lived with both units for a few months while the Vitus was up for sale.

This Krell is not a bright or a hard listen. It has a diffuse open treble, liquid mid-range that good Class A designs are renowned for and that typical Krell bass control. Its musical amp and does not deserve the typical stereotype applied to Krell gear. The FPB range was stellar.

I am the 2nd owner of this amp. The original owner had it specially ordered in through Len Wallis at a cost of $27k. Do some research on the internet and at the time of release (around 10 years ago) it was considered the best integrated available. The excessive RRP hindered sales and I doubt many were sold here in Australia as they were never stocked, order only.

Enough talking it up, this is a bullet proof integrated capable of driving any speaker. A pre/power combo to better this all in one unit would cost well over the 7.5k price tag.

Has all the bells and whistles, CAST inputs, HT bypass, Balanced/XLR inputs, Pre and Tape Outs. Original heavy duty 20 AMP IEC cable included, as well as original factory packaging and remote.

Description: Two-channel, solid-state integrated amplifier with 1 pair CAST inputs via 4-pin bayonet connectors, 1 pair balanced via XLR connectors, 3 pairs single-ended via RCA connectors, 1 pair tape via RCA connectors. Speaker outputs: 4 on binding posts. Preamp output: 1 pair single-ended via RCA connectors. Preamplifier section: Frequency response: 20Hz–20kHz, +0.0/–0.05dB. Power amplifier section: Maximum output power: 300Wpc into 8 ohms (24.8dBW), 600Wpc into 4 ohms (24.8dBW), 1200Wpc into 2 ohms (24.8dBW). Maximum output voltage: 138V peak–peak. Voltage gain: 36.4dB. Signal/noise ratio: 108dB, A-weighted. THD: <0.04% at 1kHz, <0.3% at 20kHz. Input sensitivity: 0.741V RMS. Power consumption: 70W standby, 185W idle, up to 1800W operational.
Dimensions: 17.3" (445mm) W by 10.3" (265mm) H by 20.5" (525mm) D. Weight: 124 lbs (56kg) shipping, 104 lbs (47kg) net.
Serial Number Of Unit Reviewed: 514060200005.
Price: $16,500 USD. Approximate number of dealers: 200. Warranty: 5 years parts & labor.
Manufacturer: Krell Industries, 45 Connair Road, Orange, CT 06477-3650. Tel: (203) 298-4010. Fax: (203) 891-2028. Web: www.krellonline.com.
Read more at https://www.stereophile.com/content/krell-fbi-integrated-amplifier-specifications#Pqk762A4BC9jUCal.99

Pictures:

IMG20190427143927.thumb.jpg.1c562d75d9cc00fbde2a009fcafa53c2.jpgIMG20190427143953.thumb.jpg.8fe64002c7f442e036a2942c8a94b23b.jpgIMG20190427144023.thumb.jpg.38178968533b9a2a1fde355c5194a0f7.jpgIMG20190427144035.thumb.jpg.28d229703a323da23b46d2546f104431.jpgIMG20190427144105.thumb.jpg.f08c60776e8e458c9eab0525784fbfeb.jpgIMG20190427144130.thumb.jpg.ef4ef62809ead456564e947476a9f521.jpg5a38843690527_FBI20Silver20open_jpg_b24ba0cdf108453cb86ec87c7671b972.jpg.59aa86cf822bfe6a10a4925f0d096a02.jpg.e49d7332370d7e80e8ac302777717718.jpg

Edited by kelossus
  • Like 6
  • Love 1

Guest jakeyb77

Want!!!!!! 

It just speaks for itself. Wow.

I’m turning my internet off till somebody buys this 

Edited by jakeyb77

Krell amps are sometimes thought to be a bit attacking and forward sounding, but I don’t think it is the case. I own an original Krell KSA-50 pure Class A dual mono power amplifier and on some of my various system set-ups it sounds sublime ...everything seems ‘right’ about it and makes me question the use of valves?

This Krell FBI-300 amp is likely to be of the same ilk.

Cheers,

Steve.

The Original Krell KSA-50 Class A amplifier ... 

CE902CF1-9A49-4404-B7AA-70A06744ECF7.jpeg

Edited by Steve M
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Steve M said:

Krell amps are sometimes thought to be a bit attacking and forward sounding, but I don’t think it is the case. I own an original Krell KSA-50 pure Class A dual mono power amplifier and on some of my various system set-ups it sounds sublime ...everything seems ‘right’ about it and makes me question the use of valves?

This Krell FBI-300 amp is likely to be of the same ilk.

Cheers,

Steve.

The Original Krell KSA-50 Class A amplifier ... 

CE902CF1-9A49-4404-B7AA-70A06744ECF7.jpeg

D'Agostino is on record saying the original KSA50 was the most musical amp he designed. No better endorsement then the designer himself.

• Like 1

The only thing confusing about this  add is why it is being compared to a ri100?

Very odd, it's like a vitus owner saying how much better his  amp is than  a cambridge.

Don't get me wrong! The krell is a monster. But vitus has finesse.  

Apple to oranges. 

I think amp wars are  a ridiculous exercise. Alway have really. 

Good luck tasty looking amp

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Matyk said:

The only thing confusing about this  add is why it is being compared to a ri100?

Very odd, it's like a vitus owner saying how much better his  amp is than  a cambridge.

Don't get me wrong! The krell is a monster. But vitus has finesse.  

Apple to oranges. 

I think amp wars are  a ridiculous exercise. Alway have really. 

Good luck tasty looking amp

Comparing Krell to Vitus is hardly like Krell to Cambridge. Though if you were to hear both you might think so...Just kidding.....Kinda.

It is the only Integrated I have had on hand at the same time to compare with. Given both amps have the same resale value and my extended ownership of both I feel it is worthwhile mentioning.

Happy to do a house demo to anyone who has a RI100 locally if they can assist with unloading/loading the Krell into my car. I am very confident in the differences between both amplifiers having heard them with multiple speakers.

Edited by kelossus
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, kelossus said:

Comparing Krell to Vitus is hardly like Krell to Cambridge. Though if you were to hear both you might think so...Just kidding.....Kinda.

It is the only Integrated I have had on hand at the same time to compare with. Given both amps have the same resale value and my extended ownership of both I feel it is worthwhile mentioning.

Happy to do a house demo to anyone who has a RI100 locally if they can assist with unloading/loading the Krell into my car. I am very confident in the differences between both amplifiers having heard them with multiple speakers.

It looks amazing. 

Priced to sell quick too.

Goodluck, 

Edited by Matyk

Hi Chris,

I'd be very interested for my 800D2s - if only it had some tone control or equalisation.  (Sacrilege some might say...... try getting flat bass response in a Queenslander.)   

Did you buy this from another stereo.net member from Northern Sydney in November last year?  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 72sporto said:

Hi Chris,

I'd be very interested for my 800D2s - if only it had some tone control or equalisation.  (Sacrilege some might say...... try getting flat bass response in a Queenslander.)   

Did you buy this from another stereo.net member from Northern Sydney in November last year?  

Ahh tone control on an integrated? Mcintosh would be your best bet there or maybe an outboard processor like a DEQX, Dirac etc.

Yes I bought from a SNA member last year.

23 hours ago, 72sporto said:

Hi Chris,

Try some soft foam bungs in the ports...

I own a Vitus R1-100 and the quality is without saying awesome. But i find more or less exactly what you have found. for what is a 300 w int amp i find I have to drive it pretty hard to power my Magico A3's. i dont listen to ear bleeding levels either. I wonder if the amp is slightly dark sounding hence it makes you think the sound is quiet? I cant be sure. I thought the Vitus would have ooodles of power but it seems to struggle a little. the sound is very good a touch on the warm side which i like. It is interesting your comparisons. The last krell i owned was the FBB 300CX which was awesome but that was a while ago and I was running sonus faber amatis then.

If you were in perth I would snap you up on an a/b test.  I might do a bit of research on this amp as i know very little about it.

GLWS

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gareth65 said:

Check out the stereophile review...the FBI is effectively a FPB300cx packaged with a preamp stage "based on the KCT.."

I read that also.

The FBI's transformer is the same size as the FPB400CX (nearly double the size of the 300CX) so I think there may be slight alterations/improvements.

The FBI is wired internally with the CAST hookups.

Edited by kelossus

13 hours ago, Krell_audio said:

I own a Vitus R1-100 and the quality is without saying awesome. But i find more or less exactly what you have found. for what is a 300 w int amp i find I have to drive it pretty hard to power my Magico A3's. i dont listen to ear bleeding levels either. I wonder if the amp is slightly dark sounding hence it makes you think the sound is quiet? I cant be sure. I thought the Vitus would have ooodles of power but it seems to struggle a little. the sound is very good a touch on the warm side which i like. It is interesting your comparisons. The last krell i owned was the FBB 300CX which was awesome but that was a while ago and I was running sonus faber amatis then.

If you were in perth I would snap you up on an a/b test.  I might do a bit of research on this amp as i know very little about it.

GLWS

The Vitus is definitely a dark sounding amplifier. It reminds of the older Classe models which are fantastic with very solid bass.

With the 84db Martens I could turn the Vitus all the way up. To full volume, +6db or whatever the volume control went up to. The Krell barely went over half way and it only has 3db more gain so you can rule that out as the culprit.

I don't like cranking low efficiency speakers. They don't handle volume as well.

Edited by kelossus

Weekend bump. Had a few PM's but no one has come up with the cash yet. Would be hard to find a pre/power combo to better the FBI at the price point.

Edited by kelossus

On 04/05/2019 at 11:07 AM, kelossus said:

Weekend bump. Had a few PM's but no one has come up with the cash yet. Would be hard to find a pre/power combo to better the FBI at the price point.

Not too sure about that, think the KGB can give it a run for its money.

2 minutes ago, extract said:

Not too sure about that, think the KGB can give it a run for its money.

That went straight over the top of my head for the first minute. You had me looking me googling "KGB Power Amplifier".

• Like 4