Ozflyer

Improve midrange vocals

Hi - I would like to improve the midrange and vocals, make them a bit weightier.

Replacing the amp and speakers are out of the question.

is there anything that can be done with interconnects ?.

My Amp is a musical fidelity m6i, speakers are DALI Rubicon 8's , source is Bluesound Node 2i connected to AMP via RCA Atlas Equator cables.

Any recommendation of brand / type of cable will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Posted (edited)

I would try and get hold of a R2R ladder type dac if you can.

Definitely gave me more body to the vocals and midrange to my music.

Edited by rocky500

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, rocky500 said:

I would try and get hold of a R2R ladder dac if you can.

Definitely gave me more body to the vocals and midrange to my music.

Something like a TDA1541 based dac with a tube buffer or output stage :thumb:

Edit: maybe PCM1704.

Edited by Muon N'

Posted (edited)

Trying to voice a system that much with cables is the wrong approach and can only lead to expensive frustration and disappointment. Unfortunately you're going to have to look at the electronics (or speakers) as suggested by others.

Edited by Ittaku

Agree, it’s a tough thing to voice a system through cables. Minor adjustments to suit individual preference - sure. Changing timbre and sonic signature - unlikely. 

Might sound crazy, but you could try adding a sub. Amazing what a good sub can do for the entire spectrum not just bottom end. Other options 

1. Get an external dac to sit between node and amp. Although the dac in the node is actually pretty good 

2. Get a minidsp or something and adjust eq to preference. 

3. Speaker positioning - free and highly effective. I would start here. 

4. Setup a roon server - I have no idea why but I always found that roon had fleshier/more weighty vocals then bluos. 

Im not familiar with the speakers but the rest of the gear is OK, so I would encourage you to start with speaker positioning and room treatment. 

What source material are you using?

Posted (edited)

Seems more like a speaker problem to me.

Cables can and do help improve a given system,but they should not be used as tone controls and cannot change the fundamentals of speaker reproduction, if there is a perceived /subjective deficiency in the system.

It certainly isn't your amplifier that is the problem. However ,for a cable recommendation I highly recommend Aurealis Litz speaker and IC cables. They are the best cables I have ever used and Geoff will allow you a 100%  obligation free trial in your own system.

https://www.aurealisaudio.com.au/

Edited by rantan

2 hours ago, Ozflyer said:

Bluesound Node 2i connected to AMP via RCA Atlas Equator cables.

while this is a good streamer and source... I dont personally think built in dac/analog stage is upto quality of amp and speakers. would consider a good dac to partner ... something good  in the midrange.... I run some pretty old dacs so won't comment to suitable alternatives....

6 minutes ago, rantan said:

It certainly isn't your amplifier that is the problem. However ,for a cable recommendation I highly recommend Auralis Litz speaker and IC cables. They are the best cables I have ever used and Geoff will allow you a no obligation free trial in your own system with zero pressure.

yes certainly not amplifier... if anything mf is very strong in the mid range rendering vocals beautifully....

6 minutes ago, rantan said:

Seems more like a speaker problem to me.

could be the case... not enough experience with them to comment...but if a speaker deficiency its going to take a bit to overcome elsewhere in the chain! to point changing speakers will be just as easy... more midrange focussed speakers that mate well with mf are b&W, focal, pmc, monitor audio to name a few am familiar with :)

Posted (edited)

I tend to agree with Betty above. If you’re discounting speakers then look at quality of your source - it’s not really up to the other elements. Can you borrow a few different Dacs to try?

Also, are you streaming your own files from a computer - what type of file?

Or a service like Tidal - what quality?

The other consideration, as mentioned above, is how speakers are positioned in the room.

Edited by buddyev

Yep, first up is to move your speakers around. Don’t forget to mark the floor where the speakers are now, then try new positions, that part is free.

Are you able to provide a sketch and photo of your system in the room?  Different positions, toe in, bringing in speakers from the wall etc.  are things to try.

After that different DAC, measuring and equalisation, a preamp.

Agree with the others that changing cables are not likely to give much improvement...