Sign in to follow this  
Chironick

5 channel amplifier used in stereo

Hi brains trust 

Been thinking of adding a seperate power amp to my system. looking at a 5 channel amp for home theatre but wondering what happens when only using 2 channels? I would assume that the power per channel would increase when only driving 2 instead of the rated amount at 5?

TIA

1 minute ago, Chironick said:

Hi brains trust 

Been thinking of adding a seperate power amp to my system. looking at a 5 channel amp for home theatre but wondering what happens when only using 2 channels? I would assume that the power per channel would increase when only driving 2 instead of the rated amount at 5?

TIA

hi chironick. it depends on the amps in question and their design. if its undernourished in the power supply then yes using only 2 channels will give more power reserves. however many are limited by their power rails in any case so you get no more...

on other hand you can buy some power amps eg the local elektra theatre range. these have always been modular in that you can order them in 3-5 or 7ch.... still comes with the same power supply... and there is oodles of power in reserve it really doesn't matter whether you use 5 or 7 channels or only 2. and they do sound very good for 2ch in my experience. certainly better than most multichannel amps I've come across. ... but best bang for buck though rather than 3 or 5ch in my opinion is the  7 ch version. as $/quality watts and also resale.

ps if wanting just 2ch though... you could also by a  2ch dedicated  amp eg with the elektra mentioned(who make a 2ch reference) or there are many other brands as well widening up the choices hugely....if just want 2ch why get a 5 or 7 ch amp ? 

Well designed home theatre amps have seperate / individual amps for each Left/Right channel 

Also most will also have a seperate stereo channel that’s selectable 

So have a look at the specs of your amp and also the back of the unit to see what’s available 

On 27/04/2019 at 10:20 AM, betty boop said:

hi chironick. it depends on the amps in question and their design. if its undernourished in the power supply then yes using only 2 channels will give more power reserves. however many are limited by their power rails in any case so you get no more...

on other hand you can buy some power amps eg the local elektra theatre range. these have always been modular in that you can order them in 3-5 or 7ch.... still comes with the same power supply... and there is oodles of power in reserve it really doesn't matter whether you use 5 or 7 channels or only 2. and they do sound very good for 2ch in my experience. certainly better than most multichannel amps I've come across. ... but best bang for buck though rather than 3 or 5ch in my opinion is the  7 ch version. as $/quality watts and also resale.

ps if wanting just 2ch though... you could also by a  2ch dedicated  amp eg with the elektra mentioned(who make a 2ch reference) or there are many other brands as well widening up the choices hugely....if just want 2ch why get a 5 or 7 ch amp ? 

+1 to what Al said. I started off using only 5 channels of a  7 Channel Elektra Theatre amp. Stereo performance was great with decent power. I recently changed over to an atmos setup in my home theatre adding in a 2 Channel Elektra Reference amp for the mains and using the remaining seven channels on the seven channel amp for the center/surrounds/heights. The 2 Channel Elektra amp can be bridged to mono giving 1000w RMS into 8 Ohms, so my next step is to get another 2 Channel Elektra Reference amp, bridge them both to give 1000w for the front left and right channels 😁

Don’t forget the bi-amping potential (assuming your speakers can).