Using a counterweight from different arm

How much difference to the sound would using a a counterweight from a different arm make.

I have a project 9cc tone arm when i bought the table they sent the wrong weight it didnt fit properly.

So they sent me another one which was also wrong it was to light but then they sent me one more and it seems to be the right weight as i can use it on the arm but when i looked it up because it looked different it seems to come of the 9cc eveolution arm and weighs 83g and is shorter and wider

I looked it up and the 9cc arm has a 80g weight that is for 8g - 11g cartridges.

22 minutes ago, Stephenfabre said:

How much difference to the sound would using a a counterweight from a different arm make.

None.

As long as you can set the correct tracking weight, that is all that matters.

• Like 1

I would add a couple of points to EV's post:

1. The c'weight needs to be able to fit onto your arm's c'weight stub!  :)
  2. Yes, you need to be able to set the correct tracking weight for your cart.  However, to get the right VTF - for your cart's weight - a lighter c'weight will need to be placed further away from the pivot point than a heavier c'weight.
  3. Optimal sound is obtained by having the c'weight as close as possible to the pivot point (ie. minimal inertia).

Andy

• Like 1

Guest kryten2001
2 hours ago, EV Cali said:

None.

As long as you can set the correct tracking weight, that is all that matters.

Oh wait what? You mean that counterweight I just bought for $10k that was cryogenically frozen before being super heated then shot through a hydron collector doesn't make my soundstage more 3D, open and expansive?

DAMMIT

26 minutes ago, kryten2001 said:

Oh wait what? You mean that counterweight I just bought for $10k that was cryogenically frozen before being super heated then shot through a hydron collector doesn't make my soundstage more 3D, open and expansive?

DAMMIT   

Yes it does make a difference.  I have a spare of the improved-generation version of the counterweight that I don't need any more.  If you want to upgrade I can let you have it for $8.5K (because it's used).  I can guarantee it will make a huge difference to me. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Guest kryten2001
25 minutes ago, audiofeline said:

Yes it does make a difference.  I have a spare of the improved-generation version of the counterweight that I don't need any more.  If you want to upgrade I can let you have it for $8.5K (because it's used).  I can guarantee it will make a huge difference to me. 

Forget it, I'm getting the one that's about to be announced that renders all existing counterweights obsolete. It uses exclusive polished transparent magnesium, hand crafted by monks. Comes in a nice wooden box too. Limited edition, $50k each.

You peasants can keep playing in the sandpit with your $10k counterweights whilst I enjoy an even more expansive soundstage.

I would add a couple of points to EV's post:
  1. The c'weight needs to be able to fit onto your arm's c'weight stub!  [emoji4]
  2. Yes, you need to be able to set the correct tracking weight for your cart.  However, to get the right VTF - for your cart's weight - a lighter c'weight will need to be placed further away from the pivot point than a heavier c'weight.
  3. Optimal sound is obtained by having the c'weight as close as possible to the pivot point (ie. minimal inertia).

Andy

Thanks andy that is what i was wondering because of the differnt positions that a heavier or lighter counter weight will be i was definitely not thinking of spending big dollars on a counterweight considering they are only $20 or so just wanted to see if getting the right one for the arm was necessary.

Heavier and lighter counterweight is used to make sure with your choose cartridge you can get closer to the pivot point. Most manufacturers will sell the heavier on the same price with the standard one. Just a matter of cartridge matching.

Saying that I disagree all counterweight is the same my preference is underslung counterweight. They do sound better to me. And they are not expensive to get

54 minutes ago, mloutfie said:

Saying that I disagree all counterweight is the same my preference is underslung counterweight. They do sound better to me. And they are not expensive to get

1 hour ago, Stephenfabre said:
12 hours ago, andyr said:

Thanks andy that is what i was wondering because of the differnt positions that a heavier or lighter counter weight will be i was definitely not thinking of spending big dollars on a counterweight considering they are only $20 or so just wanted to see if getting the right one for the arm was necessary.

Mahdie makes a valid point.  "Underslung" c'weights - which are not a centred cylinder but have more metal under the stub hole than above - do sound better.  Like this one:

1727670081_UnderslungCounterweight.thumb.jpg.5eb2eb40c954506953d4da302d2172b1.jpg

Andy

PS:  That c'weight could do with being heavier - so it could be 15mm, at least, closer to the pivot point.

Edited by andyr