Hi,

im considering purchasing some Power Sound Audio speakers for my home theatre setup. Looking at either the 110 or 210 speakers 

Was as wondering if anyone in Perth has a theatre I could come listen to? With Deep Hz Audio being the solo Australian company for these speakers it’s quite hard to demo. 

Any help would be appreciated

thanks

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

I haven't owned any PSA speakers myself, but i have listened to them in person for sometime. They were the smaller bookshelf speakers. Looking at the catalogue it would have been the MT-110. They sounded very clean and detailed. Nice light bass, not over-powering to any extend at all. Looking at the specs of 70hz to 18khz i can understand why. You would need a sub if you want to get solid bass however. For the price here in AU, i am not sure if i would buy them, as i feel there are a few other options just as good (go lower) that would satisfy just as well. I think here in AU they are a tad overpriced. But that is curse with most imported items!   

8 hours ago, hatch said:

I haven't owned any PSA speakers myself, but i have listened to them in person for sometime. They were the smaller bookshelf speakers. Looking at the catalogue it would have been the MT-110. They sounded very clean and detailed. Nice light bass, not over-powering to any extend at all. Looking at the specs of 70hz to 18khz i can understand why. You would need a sub if you want to get solid bass however. For the price here in AU, i am not sure if i would buy them, as i feel there are a few other options just as good (go lower) that would satisfy just as well. I think here in AU they are a tad overpriced. But that is curse with most imported items!   

They are designed to play with a subwoofer though,even my MTM-210's are only good to 60Hz (though my AVR will always cross them over at 40Hz)

IMHO  there isn't many speakers available in Australia that can compete with them for Home Theatre use (without going to way more expensive options) , the MTM-210s are 8 Ohm, true 98dB 1W/1m sensitivity, can play at THX reference level if needed , have tonnes of midbass kick,  and have excellent off axis response.

In room, they give me a nice flat response out to 18kHz, and can handle being crossed over to multiple 15" subwoofers with ease - plus I think they sound great!

First speaker I've ever bought into the house that my wife actually commented on how much she liked the sound (and keep in mind they are pretty ugly speakers - so WAF is nonexistent)

62836273_SubMsOct201820hzto20Khz-Copy.jpg.3ed69c09411eea7c5d198e0513634acf.jpg

The only comparable product that I would consider in Aus at a similar price point would be something built by Paul Spencer @Red Spade Audio some AV8s or AV10s 

1 hour ago, Troyus_ said:

Thanks for the reply. WHat would you buy instead or for the same money that performs as well or better?

our very poor exchange rate now will be making these quite expensive now vs home country. i too woudl wonder on their value.

perhaps consider local krix ? 

I see in perth, perhaps go check out the krix setup they were demoing below ? as am sure will find something comparable in their range :)

13 hours ago, Troyus_ said:

Thanks for the reply. WHat would you buy instead or for the same money that performs as well or better?

-SVS Ultra Bookshelf (the cheaper SVS Prime is good, but the ultra is better).

-Neat Acoustics Motive SX3: (even the baby Neat IOTA are exceptional speakers sounding more like larger speakers than bookshelf and most likely my next purchase). These if bookshelf is the only option

Neat Acoustics are best speakers i have heard to date and have a set myself of a different model. They are hand-made in the UK...........but can be ordered in AU

-ELAC do some nice speakers in the price range, but my experience with them is limited.

12 hours ago, jamiebosco said:

They are designed to play with a subwoofer though,even my MTM-210's are only good to 60Hz (though my AVR will always cross them over at 40Hz)

IMHO  there isn't many speakers available in Australia that can compete with them for Home Theatre use (without going to way more expensive options) , the MTM-210s are 8 Ohm, true 98dB 1W/1m sensitivity, can play at THX reference level if needed , have tonnes of midbass kick,  and have excellent off axis response.

In room, they give me a nice flat response out to 18kHz, and can handle being crossed over to multiple 15" subwoofers with ease - plus I think they sound great!

First speaker I've ever bought into the house that my wife actually commented on how much she liked the sound (and keep in mind they are pretty ugly speakers - so WAF is nonexistent)

62836273_SubMsOct201820hzto20Khz-Copy.jpg.3ed69c09411eea7c5d198e0513634acf.jpg

The only comparable product that I would consider in Aus at a similar price point would be something built by Paul Spencer @Red Spade Audio some AV8s or AV10s 

No doubt they are great speakers. Something if chance allows one day i would like to demo for a longer period.

6 hours ago, hatch said:

-SVS Ultra Bookshelf (the cheaper SVS Prime is good, but the ultra is better).

-Neat Acoustics Motive SX3: (even the baby Neat IOTA are exceptional speakers sounding more like larger speakers than bookshelf and most likely my next purchase). These if bookshelf is the only option

Neat Acoustics are best speakers i have heard to date and have a set myself of a different model. They are hand-made in the UK...........but can be ordered in AU

-ELAC do some nice speakers in the price range, but my experience with them is limited.

I dont think SVS prime especially but even ultras are in the same league as PSA for cinema/HT experience? Dont see how little 6inch drivers from a bookshelf could compare to ten inch drivers and horns with 98% sensitivity. I have heard people say the SVS towers dont stand up to the PSA. I am wary to take your advice on the others at this point sorry.

In other news a wall of Krix looks sweet eh?

30 minutes ago, Troyus_ said:

I dont think SVS prime especially but even ultras are in the same league as PSA for cinema/HT experience? Dont see how little 6inch drivers from a bookshelf could compare to ten inch drivers and horns with 98% sensitivity. I have heard people say the SVS towers dont stand up to the PSA. I am wary to take your advice on the others at this point sorry.

In other news a wall of Krix looks sweet eh?

Maybe in that case you need to do some demo's in person ratehr than ask for advice online. Sounds like advice is of no use to you, unless it backs what you seem to really want - PSA!. Just buy them and move on. 

1 hour ago, hatch said:

Maybe in that case you need to do some demo's in person ratehr than ask for advice online. Sounds like advice is of no use to you, unless it backs what you seem to really want - PSA!. Just buy them and move on. 

Na thats unfair of you. Dont be upset cause I dont like your suggestion.

20 hours ago, Troyus_ said:

thats near where I work >< Doh missed it.

if near where work ? why not pop in anycase ? given this was not that long ago ? imagine still got something to check out ? 

33 minutes ago, Troyus_ said:

Na thats unfair of you. Dont be upset cause I dont like your suggestion.

he is correct to go actually demo... otherwise just going on others suggestions and opinions ? 

but yes overall woudl expect the svs prime not really in the ilk of krix, JBL, klipsch, PSA, Seatons and like....

Yea getting a demo is a good idea and midland seems like the go. Unfortunately a wall of mx30 speakers is 20k tho which is pretty rough. It’s easy to go down the rabbit hole with HT and get fixated on the biggest and best thing. 

I did see some place place where they had what looked like really nice kits to make up your own front stage. Had horns sorta naked on top of a midbass speaker type of deal.  Maybe something like that is worth a look also?

11 minutes ago, Troyus_ said:

Yea getting a demo is a good idea and midland seems like the go. Unfortunately a wall of mx30 speakers is 20k tho which is pretty rough. It’s easy to go down the rabbit hole with HT and get fixated on the biggest and best thing. 

The wall is THE lot though.... L&R Mains, centre, subs... pretty mcuh all need to add is surrounds in speakers.... there are certainly cheaper options if just wanting a L&R&C speaker and even from krix you can just do that if you want. and they have all sorts range covered :)

13 minutes ago, Troyus_ said:

I did see some place place where they had what looked like really nice kits to make up your own front stage. Had horns sorta naked on top of a midbass speaker type of deal.  Maybe something like that is worth a look also?

most if not ALL brands mentioned do this from krix, PSA, JBL, klipsch .... 

Problem is PSA on make the MT and MTM speakers. Basically 1 style. JBL Australia just sells bluetooth crap and soundbars. So anything from over seas is un-demod and super expensive (Id guess), Klipsh same deal - their high end stuff is super up there. 

HArd to find a good price to performance ratio

15 minutes ago, Troyus_ said:

Problem is PSA on make the MT and MTM speakers. Basically 1 style. JBL Australia just sells bluetooth crap and soundbars. So anything from over seas is un-demod and super expensive (Id guess), Klipsh same deal - their high end stuff is super up there. 

HArd to find a good price to performance ratio

um no, I heard JBL synthesis setup jsut the other week in a local retailer in a dedicated home theatre, so I dont believe that is true all JBL aust sell bluetooth crap and sound bars. I do believe they sell speakers for dedicated home theres and they were quite affordably priced I did think for what are. and same with klipsch. they make quite a range and i have heard their speakers from, affordable to quite high end. there is something i do believe for everyone :) I do believe both brands have good price for performance ratio. and same goes with krix its not al mega buck. but then it woudl be worth checking out exploring hearing systems within range to appreciate. 

who in retailer is demoing PSA ? in a dedicated home theatre ?? as declared in the opening post they are hard to demo....

I can think of far more retailers with klipsch, jbl and krix if thats being seen as a limitation. 

9 hours ago, Troyus_ said:

No one I know is demoing PSA. I never said there was or that Im comparing all to them. Some guy above thought I was tho. Genuinely not aware/know the stuff I should be looking at for home cinema.

I thought you said you cant demo JBL/klipsch suggested were difficult to demo and super expensive ?

11 hours ago, Troyus_ said:

JBL Australia just sells bluetooth crap and soundbars. So anything from over seas is un-demod and super expensive (Id guess), Klipsh same deal - their high end stuff is super up there. 

well as I mentioned I heard in demo only other week of JBL stuff ? certainly klipsch and krix is also easily demoed ? 

https://www.jbl.com.au/

Toy stuff.  Tell me where the good stuff is sold please?

probably just looking at wrong place. as said earlier jbl, like klipsch and krix even sell stuff for different price points. what looking at are  limited consumer devices for bluetooth and such.  see the local importers website, contact them for where to demo...

https://www.convoy.com.au/jblsynthesis/?s=synthesis

at a local sna gtg we got ot hear JBL synthesis and it wasnt OTT in pricing I dont think...

maybe get in touch with convoy on who retails it out your ways ? I know locally at least two other retailers in melb hifi and klappav ?

Genuinely not aware/know the stuff I should be looking at for home cinema.

THE best ways is to go check out systems, check out as much as can, demo will soon know kind of thing possible and what even can fit in your home. eg none of the systems talked off here would be remotely suitable for my place, but i have what is i think an appropriate system and happy with end result. so worth finding that out for self. 

just matter of checking out options... and same goes with PSA get in touch wiht local importer deephz, might be able to shed light any retailers demoing, though am unaware....

guess it comes down to op ability to find speakers to demo. if you cant and you have a dedicated room then do the real HT thing and go with horns... thats what krix and others do.

no good buying a set up of large fronts "matched" with a puny centre, thats just stereo with a centre as after thought, waste of money.

• Like 1

• Administrator

If you want to demo PSA before you buy them, you will need to contact the distributor and even then it might be challenging without retailers to demo it at.

Other brands and suggestions have been made but you seem to discount them right away. Sounds like you don't really know what you want yet, and without any further info given about what you are trying to achieve - movies/music/both, budget, room size, etc, this thread is actually going around a bit in circles.

Buy the PSA unheard direct from the distributor if you're really set on them, or as suggested, visit some retailers and hear what is on demo for yourself. It's you that has to listen to and live with them.

There are loads of suggestions we can all make based on experience and knowledge, but there's not a lot here you've told us to give us something to work to.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Troyus_ said:

Tell me where the good stuff is sold please?

The good stuff is down at Westcoast Hifi Midland, all you have to do is drop in for a demo. There are different versions of Krix wall of sound for HT duties. I did drop in to hear 'this wall of sound' and all I can say is my mind was blown by how good these systems are. Trust me get off ya bum and have a listen.

Maybe there's a local with PSA speakers you can demo?

I'm in QLD and my setup is nothing special, but you would be welcome to demo them if you were local.

I'll admit, I am biased, but I don't feel there is much in Australia that can match the PSA MT-110 for mainly Home Theater use at around $1k ea delivered (Peter usually discounts for SN members), moving up to the larger Krix, JBL Synthesis and Klipsch THX and Heritage models will definitely get you the performance you're after,but likely for more $$$. The Krix Megaphonix In-Room would be a great choice at $1395 ea though https://www.krix.com.au/megaphonix-in-room/

Fanatix1-500x500.jpg.97708def06bf0c05ccf748158550c4e8.jpg

The PSA's are made in the USA, have a 5-year warranty (Both TomV from PSA and Peter from DeepHz are fantastic to deal with) , use quality USA made compression driver and high efficiency woofer, have a true 95dB 1w/1m sensitivity (unlike Klipsch's heavily exaggerated numbers on the Ref line) 8 Ohm impedance (so easy load for AVRs), and  these can play at THX reference level using just an AVR if so required . They are BIG and UGLY though, but they are all go,not show. Are they the best? No - I've heard the Seaton Catalyst 12s, and they were better, but at around 5x the price - they'd better be!

Paul Spencer from Red Spade Audio wrote  2 short articles on home theatre speakers that I totally agree with

http://audio.redspade.com.au/home-theatre-speakers-part1.php

http://audio.redspade.com.au/home-theatre-speakers-part2.php

Edit* I should add that if you are not someone who likes to listen to movies loud (like -10dB MV and louder) probably most conventional Hi-Fi speakers should be fine. If you tend to listen at -20dB  and quieter pretty much any speaker you like the sound of will handle the 85dB peaks needed for that.

Edited by jamiebosco
  • Like 2