White Van speakers

Guest Muon N'

Guest Muon N'

The first vid shows the inner workings of this scam, the second vid is funny :D

Like always, if it sounds too good to be true.

There's a warehouse in the western suburbs of Melbourne where they come from, people say they can hear them having a pep talk in the morning just before they leave. Something like go get em and take them for all you can. Takes a special kind of a-hole to do this sort of thing.

I've come to think there must be a special school somewhere that teaches 'holeness because I couldn't think up some the **** that goes down.

Pretty sure they have courses extending well into the upper echelons of power and not just street level scams.  That's how we got things like the banks charging dead people.

Not sure if there's another school somewhere for incompetence because there seems to be a lot of that with the NDIS. Documented case of them expecting a guys legs to grow back for example.

I moved to Melbourne in 2000 and was here for all of two days when i decided to go to Chadstone to see what it was all about. I just parked my car near DJ's when a white van pulled up near and a bloke hopped out carrying on about something. Yep, had a special deal on speakers for me.

Problem is they play on greed and people wanting just such a great deal. I fell for it for a second and asked what type of speakers. He and his mate then got out and slid open the door of the van.  Cannot remember what the speakers looked like as when that door opened I thought I was going to be "Robert Allenby'ed" (except as best I recall I hadn't been to the strippers and was pissed off my head - do appreciate it was also 16 years prior to Robert being "Taken"). 

Common sense kicked in and clearly this was BS. I said thanks but no thanks and scuttled away in my not so manly half trot to the safety of daylight and dj's.

1 minute ago, eman said:

I've come to think there must be a special school somewhere that teaches 'holeness because I couldn't think up some the **** that goes down.

The language in the sales pitch is on par with some of the claims made from other whacky HiFi offerings made from materials or properties that don’t exist 

All snake oil 

But alas I have never been stopped by a white van salesman 

I’ve come across the white van guys a few times over the years never bought off them.One day I was connecting a phone line in a factory in Moorabbin and who was the customer?the white van guys.I said nothing till I was about to leave.I can’t remember what I said exactly before but  it was along the lines of your a bunch of scammers,laughing as I walked out 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Full Range said:

But alas I have never been stopped by a white van salesman 

I have, the top of Bathurst St next to Sydney Town Hall many years ago. I was into Hi-Fi then and particularly speakers but may have also been aware of the WVScam so turned them down.

A mate of mine actually fell for it some time later, he wasn’t into Hi-Fi but is one of the most financially astute people I know...go figure. Never had the heart to tell him about his proud new purchase.

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, wasdork said:

One day I was connecting a phone line in a factory in Moorabbin and who was the customer?the white van guys.

It's a pity that the location of these warehouses isn't made public so disgruntled buyers can go and get their money back under Australia's refund policy, it might make them think twice about carrying out this scam.

• Like 2

Guest Muon N'

I ran into one van in a Bunnings carpark Oxley, once.

Edit: the fact that these mobs still operate after decades has me thinking they are here to stay, best to just raise awareness of them.

Edited by Muon N'

If someone is offering a product at discounted prices, is it greedy to take it?  From my perspective, I don't describe the punter wanting a bargain as greedy, only the scamming salesman.

On ‎25‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 4:07 PM, Muon N' said:

The first vid shows the inner workings of this scam, the second vid is funny :D

Jam Audio Limited?  I know where they can jam their speakers...  and audio limited is right!

• Like 1

If your out an about in the north and west bits of Bleak City then beware of @Yngvi image.png.d8950a461b0c9f0a1d44206356b4cc83.png

he drives a white sedan with a commodious boot and he's notorious for selling horns. German manufactured or  at least designed in Germany and built with meticulous attention to detail in the Democratic People's Republic of Korea at the Pyongyang hifi factory

What he shows you...

image.png.87eb646b117ae98e1f458826cf2a8ad4.png

What you get out of the big white cardboard box with "SPEEKER! Thiss Whey Up!" stamped on the sides

image.png.e3643f6d61fe0a4653f680ce34d7b7cf.png

Tall shifty looking bloke with a nervous disposition,darting eyes and appalling taste in shoes, yellow crocs to be exact.

Forewarned is forearmed !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I use to get approached a lot by these guys in a white van, especially when I was constantly working in Melb CBD.    They pull up beside you with a big smirk on there faces and yell out “Hey bro, interested in some bargain speakers ? “.      And of course you know very well it’s s big rip off and politely tell them no,  have mouths to feed and one on the way...”.  

One day the same guy approached me twice, in one day!   What was he thinking; I fit the profile of an audiophile waiting for bargain?    

Funny I don’t see them around anymore.

I haven't seen any of these guys in ages.

If you want a bit of a laugh, try asking them some technical questions like frequency range, sensitivity and impedance. It makes them really nervous and lost for words and they very soon give up.

On another note, I have absolutely no sympathy for people who buy these. if they are that stupid then they probably don't want/need decent speakers anyway.

Many years ago I did meet a friend-of-a-friend  who bought some named "Scanlab" and he told me that he had been reliably informed that they were made by B&O for "Scanlab" and that they were elite Danish quality.   Who was I to shatter his fantasy?xD

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

This is what they can look like on the second hand market, when someone has realised they've been duped. In this case it's not just speakers but a  home theatre package with projector and screen. Some even have amplifiers too.

A semi functioning website is sometimes an optional extra so potential buyers can check out the "RRP" of the product.

782906357_SpeakerScam1.PNG.a45feaefdca5c044c1786037449c7382.PNG

2024134414_SpeakerScam2.PNG.763b1c96512f7056aeea95743c074426.PNG

548651826_SpeakerScam3.PNG.f7cbbb97ebf309cf40e1895a4d9879c9.PNG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sub Sonic said:

This is what they can look like

At least you get nice shiny colourful boxes.

Might even sound good to someone interested in this sort of stuff.

Edited by Hazzzy
  • Like 1

A lot of these end up on Gumtree. Some for tens of dollars by the ones who realise they are garbage, but others trying to recoup their losses will list them in the high hundreds to thousands of dollars.

21 hours ago, bob_m_54 said:

A lot of these end up on Gumtree. Some for tens of dollars by the ones who realise they are garbage, but others trying to recoup their losses will list them in the high hundreds to thousands of dollars.

You mean as new in boxes, only unpacked to take photos, etc. Which really means I found out their rubbish and want someone else to bail me out.

• Like 1

I was approached many years ago in a  Sydney suburban pub carpark by a white van. At the time I had never heard of this scam.

Needless to say it all sounded very dodgy. I just said no thanks and they drove off.

23 hours ago, HypnoToad said:

You mean as new in boxes, only unpacked to take photos, etc. Which really means I found out their rubbish and want someone else to bail me out.

Yep they're the ones. May also include in the decription, "Unwanted Gift" "Moving and don't need them in our new place".