Sign in to follow this  
WasM

Stereophile CDs

Several years ago Stereophile produced several Test CDs which were used as sources of reference material, both for recording and playback.

What impressed me weren't the discs or recorded material but the supplied leaflet/booklet which gave in-depth info and explanations for the recordings and how they are supposed to sound.

I managed to borrow a set off a friend to have a listen back in the mid/late 90s.

I'm interested to know if anyone has a copy/copies of the different discs, or use other material with well documented/written explanations.

I'm not after anything specific but am interested in broadening my sound scope.

i have four discs, 1 editors choice, test dics 3,2,1, never used them, didn't have a CD player at the time,  borrowed a test LP, after listening to this it indicated how bad my hearing loss was, 1975 could hear to 16000 khz, 2009, only some 9000 khz and nothing above, hearing aids now +tinitus, still enjoy listening to music almost every day

If you really want to drive yourself to distraction you could get a copy of https://www.amazon.com/Critical-Listening-Skills-Audio-Professionals/dp/B009CUSFE2 

Don't be put off by the absurd price - look at the secondhand listings.  The book comes with a CD of examples that you walk through with the lessons in the book.

Another interesting option is the Nordost System Set-up and Tuning Disc Version 1. It has 47 tracks ranging from Pink Noise, White Noise , Bas Drum, Snare Drum and through to 21 Low Frequency Tones and a Burn-In track. I never use it so if you want it , its yours . Cost of posting is $9. There is a second version from Nordost but not sure what else it offers.

Cheers

Mick 

Isotek do one and I think hifi news and reviews did/do one ? 

Yep there are a few around. Not sure how you do it (equipment -wise) but the Nordost disc claims you can measure all the "nodes" in your listening area. Not sure I would want to know how lousy my sound room is.

Cheers

Does the Nordost disc come with any written material/guide/explanation?

About 8 pages of notes referencing the 47 tracks on the Nordost disc. Not sure what the newer version of my  covers; if you go to www.nordost.com there should be info on the new disc. Just had a quick look and apart from including 2 discs it doesn't give too much away. Anyway its yours for $9 postage.

Cheers

Mick

I was just about to post some thing similar. Thanks for the idea @WasM there is some good option here i will have to explore