Opera Consonance X5 experience?

https://www.osbornloudspeakers.com.au/x5-and-x5-pro

Hi all,

I listen to a lot of hi res files from my PC via JRiver. The current set up is a bit convoluted but produces good results.

PC via USB to SPDIF converter -  coax out to Klein Dac - analog out to amp. I don't have wifi or a network, my internet is NBN hard wired to the PC. I use an external HD (4TB) to the PC to store and play the flac files.

I'd like to shorten the path and also improve the source side of things (the PC CPU lacks the grunt to run DSD etc. and is likely an easy source for improvement in SQ). The X5 looks like an option insofar as I could run the HD directly into that and then usb to the dac which would open up DSD and make an easier set up as my PC is a little far from the amp meaning longer and multiple cable runs.. 

Does anyone have experience with this (or similar) unit and / or are there other or better options not involving going down the whole network / streaming path?

Thanks for any and all suggestions :thumb:

Blurb:

The X5 is essentially a Digital USB Streamer interface. It connects via wi fi or by LAN or plug a USB Hard Drive into it and it can be controlled by a phone or Tablet. It will connect to an external DAC by USB or into a coaxial in on the Digital in on any DAC or CD Player using a Box 1.1 Interface. It will also connect to the Internet to allow Streaming.

The X5 is a specially designed HD streaming device. It connects a DAC through the USB2.0 port and uses a simple browser. It will play both stored and network files.The browser UI is simple and easy to use.

1. Supports USB memory device(U-disk, hard drive).
2. Supports DLNA protocol and NAS play.
3. Supports RJ45 network port and USB wireless adapters.
4. Supports all high resolution music formats, (up to PCM 32bit/384kHz), supports DSD64, DSD128 and DSD256.
5. Control software includes a special browser.
Due to its unique design it will work with all Consonance DACs professionally.

x5.jpg

Edited by lemarquis

I have the opera Suzanne in my main system.  I use it with the “dock”, which allows direct Ethernet connection.  I mainly have music on an SD card in the unit itself, and also add an external HD via USB on the dock.  It can be controlled via wifi devices using 8player app.

The sound is really quite impressive for what is essentially a portable digital player.  It’s only downfall is a somewhat clunky interface, and updates for firmware only come every so often.  However if it’s the sound quality you’re after, it’s great.  It also doubles as a portable player, and drives headphones really well, so you get good value if you travel and so on.

Anyway, feel free to PM.  You’re welcome to try it in your system.  I may be selling it, only as the family don’t use it (they won’t make the effort to learn, and they almost exclusively stream Spotify now), so I’m considering a Bluesound Vault 2i or similar.......

Cheers, Mat

Edited by Mat-with-one-t
  • Like 1

Hi Mat,

Looks like a nice unit and doubles as a source so quite handy. I'm really looking for something that can take the place of the PC side of duties and go into my main Dac.  The x5 looked like it might do the job, but probably also has a clunky UI. 

I like the sound that I've got but looking for a way to simplify the delivery whilst maintaining the SQ of the Klein set up :afro:

Gotcha.  That’s partly my interest in something like the Bluesound - built I. dAc supposedly really good, but can use an external one.  Simple UI with streaming or playing local content.  That sort of thing.  There’ a Node 2i for sale used somewhere.  I’m waiting for the “Vault” version so I can rip about 1000 CD’s......

• Like 1

I think I'll eventually get there too but for the moment I'm a bit Old School with the JRiver running the show from the PC which to me has better library 'skills' than fiddling with an android app (which may also require wifi??). This is where I get stumped by all this streaming and network talk. 

I was over at Greg's the other day and he uses one of the Opera Pro streamers with in-built Dac and controls it from a tablet. That looks cool but would mean a big change from my current set up, not to mention budget which has now been stretched for a little while :S

The X5 looks like a modestly priced means of emulating the mac mini type set up used quite a lot around here, with potentially superior sonics, hence my post here to see if anyone has used it or a similar set up.

Edited by lemarquis

I heard the x5 at a mates place setup next to an Auralic Aries (femto clocks + linear psu version)..

The x5 was ok, and seemed to work fine, however we both thought the Aries was the better unit sonically.

• Like 1

This might be out of the question due to your price restraints(don't I know about that!) but it's made life easy here.

Have a read when you have a moment.  Aria Piccolo  and this is the latest model(I sold  my cdp and a bluesound node 2(the amp model) and bits and pieces to arrive at the purchase price which is way below the quoted rrp's ) Aria Piccolo+

They pop up here too>>> For Sale

• Like 1

Thanks Luc. Looks very tasty. I will keep it in mind, especially if one pops up here at a good price. 

The X5 looked like a readily affordable option so would still like to hear anyone's impressions of it or similar. 

Edited by lemarquis