Sign in to follow this  
Islander77

Eugene from Tasmania

Posted (edited)

Hi everyone,  I'm new here and just wanted to introduce myself. 

I'm Eugene from Tassie living fully offgrid among hundred acres of bush,  but still love my hi-fi stereo, which is currently in the storage unfortunately, until I finish owner-building house first. 

I'm very glad I've found this forum - so much useful info!

I love DIY very much and have Troels Jenzen Next kit lying around (have had it for 4 years now), hoping to build a pair of beautiful speakers one day (when I have slightly more time) :)

Until now I was using quite simple but effective setup: Cambridge Audio StreamMagic >> Wyred4Sound DAC2 >> Exposure 3010 integrated amp >> Dali Icon 6.

However I'm thinking about fully rebuilding the system (maybe will go valve amp way) once I build Jenzen Next's

Edited by Islander77

Welcome to the forum Eugene.

Nice to see another Tasmanian.

Lots of audiophiles living off grid down my way in Cygnet

Paul

Welcome Eugene, I hope you like it here and I look forward to your posts.

Thanks guys! 

Paul,  great to know other audiophiles do exist in Tasmania,  I've been living here for the last 9 years and haven't met a single soul who was seriously into hi-fi. I'm on the other side of the river though - Carlton River area. 

11 minutes ago, Islander77 said:

Thanks guys! 

Paul,  great to know other audiophiles do exist in Tasmania,  I've been living here for the last 9 years and haven't met a single soul who was seriously into hi-fi. I'm on the other side of the river though - Carlton River area. 

Pff, you're in Tassie, A-K-A Gods country. You only have to drive 3 or 400 km's and that's as far as you can go, they can't hide. There are heaps of hi fi types down there, they will find you. :D 

Am jealous, have been to Tassie in 2016 and 2018 and my heart stayed there last time, it didn't come back with me.

Welcome.

On 24/04/2019 at 6:33 PM, Darren69 said:

Pff, you're in Tassie, A-K-A Gods country. You only have to drive 3 or 400 km's and that's as far as you can go, they can't hide. There are heaps of hi fi types down there, they will find you. :D 

Am jealous, have been to Tassie in 2016 and 2018 and my heart stayed there last time, it didn't come back with me.

Welcome.

I left my heart here in Tasmania from 2004 to 2016. Finally moved here and love it.

Posted (edited)
On 24/04/2019 at 6:33 PM, Darren69 said:

Ha! Same happened with me.  We went to Tassie on holidays just for a week 10 years ago.  On our last day we couldn't resist and bought block of land.  In another 2 months moved here permanently.  No regrets so far :) well, the only issue is when you want to buy new hi-fi component it's impossible to listen to it first... 

Edited by Islander77

23 minutes ago, Islander77 said:

Ha! Same happened with me.  We went to Tassie on holidays just for a week 10 years ago.  On our last day we couldn't resist and bought block of land.  In another 2 months moved here permanently.  No regrets so far :) well, the only issue is when you want to buy new hi-fi component it's impossible to listen to it first... 

I am in NE NSW and it's the same here re hi fi stuff, you need to go to Brissy. I guess you can still drive there.

Family stuff anchors me to where I am, maybe I need to be more self centred. :D 

I love the cooler weather as well, the partner doesn't like cold but she knows I would keep a good fire going. :D 

On 24/04/2019 at 6:20 PM, Islander77 said:

I've been living here for the last 9 years and haven't met a single soul who was seriously into hi-fi. I'm on the other side of the river though - Carlton River area. 

Hi Eugene, I think you nailed it there.

You're just on the wrong side of the river. We'll never meet...  😏

And with 100 acres, you won't have time anyway. I have 123, and it's taken a long time to learn to say 'no' to all the demands, enough to chuck a few speaker boxes together.

I'm a long-term fan of Troels, so looking forward to hearing of your Next build.

And the house, solar, etc - maybe the divas'd let me do a visit some time?

There's a few of us tucked away in the corners.

Welcome!

Thanks Brian, believe it or not, but when we decided to buy an acrage few years ago, we submitted two offers - one in Mountain River and one where I'm now. The Mountain River one got rejected :)

I've just finished building shed and about to start the house.  Will take awhile to finish everything as designed, as I plan to do 90% of labour myself. You are definitely welcome to come once there is something to look at :)

Welcome Eugene. Very nice part of the world and I spent a lot of my earlier years down that way as my parents had a shack (not a bloody "holiday house" like these mainlanders call 'em) at Carlton Beach. I have vivid memories of playing glo-in-the-dark frisbee at Carlton River with my then teenage sister's boyfriend in the '70s much to her annoyance.

I found SNA a year ago and it has been an incredible source of great info if not somewhat damaging to the hip pocket!

Enjoy.

Hi Eugene and Welcome. I just recently moved to Tas, housesitting/animal sitting until we find our spot. I had a brief meet up with Anthony Holton of Holton Audio in Launceston on the way down south....(we are currently in the Cygnet area). Great bloke and very nice handbuilt SS amplifiers. 😉  All the best with your build. (And audio build too!)

1 hour ago, akjono said:

Hi Eugene and Welcome. I just recently moved to Tas, housesitting/animal sitting until we find our spot. I had a brief meet up with Anthony Holton of Holton Audio in Launceston on the way down south....(we are currently in the Cygnet area). Great bloke and very nice handbuilt SS amplifiers. 😉  All the best with your build. (And audio build too!)

I am in the Cygnet area too.

Pm sent

@Islander77, @wartman, @akjono - I'm having a couple of us down to my shed this arvo, if you are interested.

PM if so.

I haven't made it to Anthony's yet, but am very keen.

4 hours ago, Islander77 said:

The Mountain River one got rejected :)

You shouldn't have mentioned the subwoofers 😧

4 hours ago, Islander77 said:

just finished building shed

That's all you need. Well, that's my excuse...

Might need to pop over for some inspiration. Architect design?