FYI - Epson Projector Recall

interestingly as a past owner of 9000 series epson projector. I too got an email from epson to advise. long since sold mine but this is quite something. basically anyone with 9000 series projectors which I can imagine a ton of them out there would need to be inspected and have a lanyard attached in case of falling ? seems like quite a job for epson to commit to ! 

...who puts their projector next to the stove?!

“If the projectors are ceiling or wall mounted in a location that can result in their exposure to smoke, steam or vapours containing oils and solvents, the plastic casing can be weakened near where the projector is attached to the ceiling mount and the plastic may crack. “

5 minutes ago, Cigar nuke said:

...who puts their projector next to the stove?!

“If the projectors are ceiling or wall mounted in a location that can result in their exposure to smoke, steam or vapours containing oils and solvents, the plastic casing can be weakened near where the projector is attached to the ceiling mount and the plastic may crack. “

seems to be a current trend with open plan living... apartments and such. a nephew of ours and partner live in an apartment where kitchen and lounge are alongside ... possible I guess ... 

seems to be a current trend with open plan living... apartments and such. a nephew of ours and partner live in an apartment where kitchen and lounge are alongside ... possible I guess ... 
Yes for sure. Sometimes I have seen it mounted right above the kitchen sandstone counter top. The vapor and heat from the stove top and oven right behind rise to the top. The plastic can go yellow and brittle over the years and eventually crack I suppose. No known failures in Australia at this time.
  • Like 1

Mine is about 5m from our stove (in a different room, but very open) and has been up for >5 years. I got voice mail when I called yesterday. I assume the wire solution would wrap around the entire unit.

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

Not here. Finally managed to get through to them after a month with them failing to return weekly messages and they basically said if the projector isn't oily to touch or yellowing that they weren't concerned. I asked if they'd share details of their wire fix regardless, which they weren't willing to do (I assume for liability reasons).

• 2 weeks later...

I received my 9300 from Epson last week (refurbished) which included in the box the safety wire that supposedly should be installed.

However, there appears to be nowhere on the unit where it can be attached?

The instructions with the safety wire says to clip it onto the mount used for a security cable but the 9300 doesn't appear to have such a thing (has a miniature "slot" that is used with a Kensington microsaver security system). Why would Epson only supply half the parts to do the job ?

Just looping it around the unit wouldn't do the job as would just slip out 

Any ideas? don't bother?

• 3 months later...