What digital file did you download today

Not sure if this type of thread has already been started. I download a lot of digital files to play via my Pi server and DIY AK4495SEQ DAC from both high-rez sites and just plain old iTunes. With the iTunes files I up-sample to 24/96. They just sound better when this is done. 

Today I downloaded (from iTunes);

Cassandra Wilson and Karl Weigl. A little disappointed with Cassandra but at least the Weigl file excited.

98A1D85F-12A8-46DF-88F3-29987D3F6D31.jpeg

6BAEE634-B671-4E26-AA8D-AAEE44456FE4.jpeg

Edited by mwhouston

Aaron Martin - A Room Now Empty

Found this album on Tidal while utilizing the "Roon Radio" feature. Decided to buy the vinyl as it was inexpensive, comes with the download immediately as per Bandcamp's standard procedure.

This highlights how all the formats compliment each other - discovered via a streaming platform, purchased on physical medium which also includes the high res digital files, covering my fix of having both the vinyl and a digital copy.

a1483714191_16.jpg

• Like 4

I listen a lot to Audiophile Classical and Audiophile Lounge streaming via my Pi (320kbs). If I like a track or whole album I can download from iTunes,  convert to 24/96 and be playing it all within 20 mins or so. Most are around the $17 mark but I have some excellent classical works for $10. 

The immediacy of listen and like to download and playing is just so convenient and quality is mostly extremely good. My whole Pi/DIY DAC setup cost only a few hundred dollars and the please I get from it either streaming or playback has been immeasurable. My DAC will play up to DXD but via the Pi DSD128. Problem is the higher the Rez the greater the cost. DSD(64) I find more than enough for about $25 an album. 

• Like 1

The Giornovich I just downloaded. On a quick listen on Presto it sounded good. 24/48 FLAC.

The Bartoli album (24/96) I downloaded a month ago after reading a write-up in Stereophile. It is as good as the reviewer said it was. Bartoli at 52 is at her peak (as the reviewer said) but I think we can look forward to a lot more good "stuff" from her.

Bartoli.jpg

Gio.jpg

Edited by mwhouston

51A3A078-B0C1-45F3-B3A1-6C2B8DA2A48D.jpegOnly had a brief listen to the demo tracks. If it’s pure pop it’s not for me but when it bridges pop/jazz I’m in.

Good music for a start. Lots of clean undistorted guitar.  More pop than jazz but nice and laid-back. Easy listening. 

Edited by mwhouston
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, mwhouston said:

51A3A078-B0C1-45F3-B3A1-6C2B8DA2A48D.jpegOnly had a brief listen to the demo tracks. If it’s pure pop it’s not for me but when it bridges pop/jazz I’m in.

Good music for a start. Lots of clean undistorted guitar.  More pop than jazz but nice and laid-back. Easy listening. 

Listening to it on Tidal ATM (thanks to this thread)... Loving in particular so far:

- I love you more than you’ll ever know

- Here but I’m gone

Kind if Tracy Chapman meets Norah Jones meets Joan Armatrading?

AmAZinG soundstage.

Edited by furtherpale
  • Like 2

My Pi DIY DAC setup should do DXD. From the Pi via USB DSD128 is as good as it gets though the DAC will go to DXD. Also I’m using DoPCM.

My first DSD128 download. Yet to listen. An acoustic Jazz group recorded in a church in DXD. 

24F7A34B-5E1B-4EC0-8668-16C81D25B910.jpeg

Edited by mwhouston
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, hired goon said:

a3819759476_14.jpg

Various Artists - Disintegration Revisited -- cover versions of the The Cure's Disintegration album. FLAC.

a2808638645_14.jpg

Stone From The Sky - Break A Leg -- instrumental stoner rock. FLAC.

a0615750554_14.jpg

36 - Circuit Bloom -- Ambient. Part of a 29 album bundle available at Groupees for US$12. FLAC.

--Geoff

Go back on your medication. Now!

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, yaniskaty said:

Decided to buy the vinyl as it was inexpensive, comes with the download immediately as per Bandcamp's standard procedure.

This highlights how all the formats compliment each other - discovered via a streaming platform, purchased on physical medium which also includes the high res digital files, covering my fix of having both the vinyl and a digital copy.

Most of my downloads have been the result of hearing the music first from either FM radio or streaming. 

• Like 1