Sign in to follow this  
sound dust

Naim ND5 XS 2 vs Auralic G1 + Chord DAC

Hi All,

I’m contemplating a fairly comprehensive upgrade on my existing digital front end. Currently I have a Sonos Connect and Rega DAC. Having already got some Naim gear being a Supernait, I felt Naim and there new gen2 streamers would be a good start.

However Auralic with their G1 have really knocked it out the park. I was was thinking as an alternative option of teaming the G1 with a second hand Chord Hugo1 or 2Cute or Qutest DAC.

These two options would come in at very similar costing. Interested in some thoughts on these two. Pros and cons, recommendations and any experience that people may have.

Thanks

John

Hi John, You are not alone. I started a digital front end upgrade a few months ago .. am currently running RoPieee -> chord Hugo2 -> Naim NAP300 . Naim is making some kind of announcement on May 8 about a new product, there are a number of us hoping it will be a streamer product (upgrade to the 272) so whatever you do I would wait until May 8...

So are the rumors a gen 2 preamp streamer? If so not sure if that will suit my budget or needs, I think I’m after more of a pure streamer.

In a similar boat. Have heard the NDX2 and ND555. Also seen the new ND5 XS2 but no luck listening. Was told as a DAC it's not much good (for the price) but maybe OK for the streaming functions. 

The sound of the 2 higher models is fantastic but pretty pricey. 

I don't know of anything else that functions as well as these. The addition of Chromecast is a big plus for friends and family and. They can use their own apps so easily. 

Primare have 2 options in the new Prisma range that might be OK too but I think the Pre35 is too expensive if you already have a good preamp or integrated 

Hmm, the G1 is perhaps sounding the better option. I like the way you can upgrade the DAC over time if you wanted to.

Plus I suspect G1 + Hugo will sound better than the Naim. I was keen on the system synergy, and I do like the Naim house sound. Surely the DAC isn’t that bad?

Was also thinking the PS Audio DirectStream Junior. Was it always 6k? Ouch, thought it was originally 4.5k?

Always best to listen to as much as you can. 

I too really like the Naim house sound. I preferred the ND555 over the Dave as a DAC. The 555 was used as the streamer for both. Way out of my price range though. 

IMG_20190223_141519295.jpg

10 hours ago, sound dust said:

So are the rumors a gen 2 preamp streamer? If so not sure if that will suit my budget or needs, I think I’m after more of a pure streamer.

There are lots of rumours, none with any substance behind them. Personally I am hoping for a preamp streamer but knowing naim’s penchant for multiple boxes, and the fact that their Dac is due for a refresh as well it might be a streamer product and a Dac product.. who knows. It it is just a new MuSo we will all be disappointed!

@Bunno77 there are a lot of Naimers using the NDX2 or the 555 with external Dacs.. I guess it says a lot about the streaming quality of Naim equipment..but not much about their Dacs. Seems a shame to spend all that money and only use half the box..

Yeah I think that part of the reason the Aries G1 is so popular, great streamer, just add the DAC of your choice.

I think I’m leaning towards the Aries G1.

Well the announcement from naim today disappointed many, including me. A new Muso. A triumph of marketing over substance. Now I too need to go find a new streamer/preamp. 

Yes doing a demo on the weekend on the ND5 XS2, a good chance to see how it stacks up sonically and how it functions. This will go a long way on deciding my streaming future :)

Ok, demoed the NDS XS2, it’s very nice, in the setup demoed it was very detailed, a little bright in the mids and treble, but knowing Naim that’s not them, I’d say it was the KEF speakers, very detailed, nice bass but mids and treble was uninspiring.

Back to the Naim, well sorted device, could be more than most will ever need.

I think at this point the Naim or the Auralic are great devices, it really comes down to what the final price is.