Recommend me some home theatre speakers

Hi,

Interested in replacing my current front 3 speakers (will likely do the surrounds and atmos when funds allow)

Currently equipment

Speakers - Vaf DCX, DC6cc, DC6 surrounds, DC3 atmos

Sub - Seaton Submersive 

AVR - Denon 6200

Amps - Emotiva XPA-5 A700 on atmos and zone 2/3

Room is 4.1x4.4 with a extra cutout of 0.6x2.8 that my gear/tv sits in. Mixed use room with tv and protector. One side is floor to ceiling curtains, the rest is taken up with BD storage cabinet etc. Happy to modify/replace my AV cabinets to allow for vertically orientated cc speaker if required. 

Room is used for either movies or tv, zero two channel duties. 

I have listened to the Krix MX30 and loved the sound, but as this is a mixed use room I cant install something like this. I contacted Krix and they recommended the in room Megaphonix, but not sold on this. The other idea I had was Triad Silver LCR's. When contacting Vaf, they have recommended just replacing the centre with a i91. 

Does anyone have any recommendations about what I should look at? Checked into the west coast hifi shop in Joondalup and didn't get inspired. 

Current budget for the front three would be $8k, that's a hard number and can't go over unfortunately. Of course, less would be preferred to get a good result. I am definitely open to second hand as well. 

(note: I know there are some Triad Platinum LCR's for sale, after speaking with the Triad AVS guru, my room is just too small for these, and I would be better served with the Silvers) 

IMG_3081.thumb.jpg.d8f330af073206ead942e8dbb601938d.jpgIMG_3080.thumb.jpg.d1eefa8407db3355fef0385d3ca07333.jpgIMG_3082.thumb.jpg.1e3e87635a6a382914174b235696b431.jpg

Thanks all

Cheers

what don't you like about your existing speakers ?

before spending $8k, try re-positioning your main speakers.

they shouldn't be in a line with the centre, pull them forward so they form a curve with the centre the furtherest away from you.

you may need to move the sub too.

Edited by michaelw

13 minutes ago, michaelw said:

what don't you like about your existing speakers ?

before spending $8k, try re-positioning your main speakers.

they shouldn't be in a line with the centre, pull them forward so they form a curve with the centre the furtherest away from you.

you may need to move the sub too.

I was happy with my speakers, but after attending a demo of a MX30 soundwall system I can just feel my system is lacking. 

I can't pull my speakers any further forward. I have a drop down screen that blocks the top 5cm of the speakers (not in front of any drivers). So I would need to bring them right into the room which the wife would not allow. I could move the centre back slightly, but then I fear the cabinet its situated it would cause negative effects. 

Hi, 

I would go with upgrading center speaker, with your budget you can get Vaf Signature i66MKllcc  + power amp for the 3 fronts. The new center speaker with power amp I would set up as a "large". 

Saying that I am assuming that i66MKllcc has similar sound signature. 

Edited by Irek

forget about the MX30... unless putting that in...no point thinking about it. do your head in :D 

I would follow VAFs advice of replacing the centre with the i91 centre... no need to replace the mains ...

Id also relocate the centre speaker ... can it not go on the top shelf of the unit there ? makes no sense why it is put in such a low shelf it would be firing at your shins and not doing it any favours at all :)

move the centre if you can as high up as can to ear level. the top shelf would still; have below the telly so not blocking it and shouldn't be hampered by the drop down screen ? even before getting the new centre I would move current one up and re calibrate.

having your mains in that alcove and against walls there would be helping them ...but if can do anything cant do anything ? 

15 hours ago, Irek said:

Hi, 

I would go with upgrading center speaker, with your budget you can get Vaf Signature i66MKllcc  + power amp for the 3 fronts. The new center speaker with power amp I would set up as a "large". 

Saying that I am assuming that i66MKllcc has similar sound signature. 

A centre upgrade is the minimum upgrade for sure. I have been eyeing off the i66, looks like a fantastic speakers. I have the Emotiva XPA-5 for the 5 main speakers, would you think i would need a better amp for the front three? its already quite a powerful amp. 

15 hours ago, betty boop said:

forget about the MX30... unless putting that in...no point thinking about it. do your head in :D 

I would follow VAFs advice of replacing the centre with the i91 centre... no need to replace the mains ...

Id also relocate the centre speaker ... can it not go on the top shelf of the unit there ? makes no sense why it is put in such a low shelf it would be firing at your shins and not doing it any favours at all :)

move the centre if you can as high up as can to ear level. the top shelf would still; have below the telly so not blocking it and shouldn't be hampered by the drop down screen ? even before getting the new centre I would move current one up and re calibrate.

having your mains in that alcove and against walls there would be helping them ...but if can do anything cant do anything ? 

The MX30 is a bit of a dream.........one day i'll have a dedicated room and be able to have a proper setup. 

That centre really does need to be moved, i put it there 6years ago and has never moved. I'll move it up to the top and see if that helps a little.

Yup, unfortunately with the room layout, i cant move the speakers too much. I will toe them in slightly, but that is the extent of what i can do. 

15 hours ago, Irek said:

Theoretically the mains can be moved/changed to in wall speakers.

Thats true, but as i have a brick house it would be quite a undertaking. Would be easier to build a false wall for everything to be recessed into. I did think about doing this and bringing the TV out level with the main room wall. Would look pretty cool and give me that baffle wall. 

This was a design i was playing around with. This was with Krix Megaphonix. Never progressed to working on the cabinets below the screen but it gives you the idea. Shallow recessed box for the tv, and flush mounted speakers for the LCR. This would mean i would need to replace my tab tensioned screen with a acoustically transparent one, quite a expensive exercise. 

Not sure if it has WAF approval, and with a little one on the way, the TV might make a easy target for sticky fingers. 

Good thought experiment though

Capture.thumb.JPG.bd05d4b478c33ead3ccc6a6149f0b896.JPG

13 hours ago, Mat-with-one-t said:

Heh I thought there was an oddly placed rear woofer, and I the. Realised it was a cat house thing.....

haha yes! that's the cat's hangout. Though a sub woofer would put out less noise than my cat. Noisy bugger

Edited by Johnny_Boy
edits

3 hours ago, Johnny_Boy said:

The MX30 is a bit of a dream.........one day i'll have a dedicated room and be able to have a proper setup. 

This was a design i was playing around with. This was with Krix Megaphonix. Never progressed to working on the cabinets below the screen but it gives you the idea. Shallow recessed box for the tv, and flush mounted speakers for the LCR. This would mean i would need to replace my tab tensioned screen with a acoustically transparent one, quite a expensive exercise. 

If you like the MX30 I'm surprised Krix didn't recommend the MX20? The MX20 would slot into the 2.8m opening.

That would also go together with an AT screen, which it seems you are not so keen on cos you intend on dual function using TV and tab tensioned screen?

Alternative to Krix would be what I'm using - SLS Audio.

7 minutes ago, WasM said:

If you like the MX30 I'm surprised Krix didn't recommend the MX20? The MX20 would slot into the 2.8m opening.

That would also go together with an AT screen, which it seems you are not so keen on cos you intend on dual function using TV and tab tensioned screen?

Alternative to Krix would be what I'm using - SLS Audio.

If it was a dedicated room, the MX20 would be top of the list. 

Being a dual use room, its hard to have a wall of speakers. My sketch above was just me playing around, i dont think i would get approval from the finance minister to build a false wall. I think in reality it will be either floor standers or smaller stand mounts and not in wall stuff.

Just had a look at the SLS Audio stuff, they look like pro cinema speakers? Smallest one is for 50-75 seat cinemas, would me massive overkill for my small room. Any idea where to even see prices for these? The two suppliers look like they only deal with commercial installations.

Cheers for the suggestions though. The more options the better.

have also stumbled across M&K Sound that looks pretty good. Though the speakers are ugly as all hell lol

Consider ditching the centre speaker.

And, what about the Krix floor standing model?

https://www.krix.com.au/megaphonix-in-room/

Alternatively, check out Power Sound Audio speakers from which you can buy from Deep Hertz Audio.

http://www.deephzaudio.com/Power Sound Speaker Index page.html

I don't know if you can get these in Australia but I like the look of the MTM-210T model.

https://www.powersoundaudio.com/collections/speakers/products/mtm-210t

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Johnny_Boy said:

If it was a dedicated room, the MX20 would be top of the list. 

Being a dual use room, its hard to have a wall of speakers. My sketch above was just me playing around, i dont think i would get approval from the finance minister to build a false wall. I think in reality it will be either floor standers or smaller stand mounts and not in wall stuff.

Just had a look at the SLS Audio stuff, they look like pro cinema speakers? Smallest one is for 50-75 seat cinemas, would me massive overkill for my small room. Any idea where to even see prices for these? The two suppliers look like they only deal with commercial installations.

Cheers for the suggestions though. The more options the better.

have also stumbled across M&K Sound that looks pretty good. Though the speakers are ugly as all hell lol

I thought they would be overkill also but having them in the room, setup and dialled in they aren't overkill at all. But I have a larger room than you and my room is dedicated and treated.

The cost would surprise you. Keeping in mind I bought mine almost a year ago - for 3xLCRs and 4xsurrounds I had them delivered for just over $6k. You don't need the surrounds.

Using the leftover from that to fund an AT screen and you're set.

I agree with the MK sound comment but these things aren't meant to look good. They're supposed to be hidden and sound good.

For what its worth I prefer the Krix/JBL/Klipsch sound and not liked the MK Sound much. SLS Audio are a touch warmer sound and slightly less forward presentation. Kind of 'less in your face', more 'Jackie Chan than Connor McGregor' if you get my drift... you're welcome to pop around if in Perth SOR.

Mk sound are very good, heard at audio trends but yes these are behind at screen and in wall ... so don’t see

though I think you are confusing things unless planning an at screen setup in your lounge which wouldn’t have thought congenial to a multi use setup more for a dedicated room ?

if was doing dedicated room I’d do a krix wall without thought :) but other wise your panel and drop down screen makes most sense.

partly room and acoustics particularly front seem constrained by the little alcove where squeezing everything in.

i would just do centre update. If wanting to do more I’d turn whole room around to have front stage better spread can still do panel with drop screen in front. I will say though it looks a very large couch for the room so that itself might restrict how can orientate in any case :)

• Like 1

with an $8K budget, for primarily home theatre usage,  I can whole heartedly recommend getting 5 x PSA MT-110 (95dB/1w/1m) for $4250 (delivered with 5Year warranty) and I'd add a PSA S3000i subwoofer (very, very similar subwoofer to your SubMersive) for an additional $2599  http://www.deephzaudio.com/Specials.html for a total of $6850.

This is essentially what I have and  can't fault it in any way

This setup - in that room - would handle pretty much anything you could think and of at extreme MV levels

Edited by jamiebosco
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, WasM said:

I thought they would be overkill also but having them in the room, setup and dialled in they aren't overkill at all. But I have a larger room than you and my room is dedicated and treated.

The cost would surprise you. Keeping in mind I bought mine almost a year ago - for 3xLCRs and 4xsurrounds I had them delivered for just over $6k. You don't need the surrounds.

Using the leftover from that to fund an AT screen and you're set.

I agree with the MK sound comment but these things aren't meant to look good. They're supposed to be hidden and sound good.

For what its worth I prefer the Krix/JBL/Klipsch sound and not liked the MK Sound much. SLS Audio are a touch warmer sound and slightly less forward presentation. Kind of 'less in your face', more 'Jackie Chan than Connor McGregor' if you get my drift... you're welcome to pop around if in Perth SOR.

$6k for the lot seams reasonable. I may take you up on the offer to have a look at your system (im NOR) but can make the journey out. 

22 hours ago, Satanica said:

Consider ditching the centre speaker.

And, what about the Krix floor standing model?

https://www.krix.com.au/megaphonix-in-room/

Alternatively, check out Power Sound Audio speakers from which you can buy from Deep Hertz Audio.

http://www.deephzaudio.com/Power Sound Speaker Index page.html

I don't know if you can get these in Australia but I like the look of the MTM-210T model.

https://www.powersoundaudio.com/collections/speakers/products/mtm-210t

My Center is definitely the weakest part of my system by far. That was going to be replace regardless but there are so many options out there. 

I did contact Krix and they recommended the megaphonix speaker. It just seems so thin and flimsy at 190mm thick. I no that doesn't matter, but just seems small. I dont know if it would look weird in my system. 

Power sound looks to be almost identical to the Krix in terms of drivers etc. It might have the edge with the better tweeter. The price is also better than the Krix. 

21 hours ago, betty boop said:

Mk sound are very good, heard at audio trends but yes these are behind at screen and in wall ... so don’t see

though I think you are confusing things unless planning an at screen setup in your lounge which wouldn’t have thought congenial to a multi use setup more for a dedicated room ?

if was doing dedicated room I’d do a krix wall without thought :) but other wise your panel and drop down screen makes most sense.

partly room and acoustics particularly front seem constrained by the little alcove where squeezing everything in.

i would just do centre update. If wanting to do more I’d turn whole room around to have front stage better spread can still do panel with drop screen in front. I will say though it looks a very large couch for the room so that itself might restrict how can orientate in any case :)

Can't do much about the room layout. Everything is pretty well set where it is without replacing all the furniture. 

Center will be replaced, just dont know if i will regret doing that over the full front stage. 

The two centers i am looking at if i keep my L/R would be the i91 ($1449) or i63 ($4799). I just am unsure that will deliver what i am hoping, or maybe what i am after is not available without a dedicated treated room. 

21 hours ago, jamiebosco said:

with an $8K budget, for primarily home theatre usage,  I can whole heartedly recommend getting 5 x PSA MT-110 (95dB/1w/1m) for $4250 (delivered with 5Year warranty) and I'd add a PSA S3000i subwoofer (very, very similar subwoofer to your SubMersive) for an additional $2599  http://www.deephzaudio.com/Specials.html for a total of $6850.

This is essentially what I have and  can't fault it in any way

This setup - in that room - would handle pretty much anything you could think and of at extreme MV levels

Price on the MT-110 is very good, especially the 5 channel package at $850/speaker. Do you know any dealers in Perth?

This whole process is a maze thats for sure. I think lots of demo's are in my future

No, Peter (DeepHz) is the only PSA dealer in Australia, absolutely TOP bloke, honestly as good as it gets. He is also a member here ,there aren't too many people/companies that I can wholeheartedly recommend - but Pete/DeepHz is one

The MT-110's are a very neutral sounding speaker and very good value (IMHO), as far as high sensitivity speakers go, they are pretty hard to beat in Australia, maybe something like the EV ZX1-90 - but they will have even lower WAF.