Sign in to follow this  
mitchlim

One of the best ways to adjust Azimuth

Posted (edited)

I have been using Analogmajik for few months, because I realized that it was hard for me to adjust cartridge e.g. azimuth, VTA, VTF, anti skating, based on my ears, the software has been helping me a lot.

Before, I just took the eye levels for the adjustments, and proved it could be far from balance, due to the some issues of cartridge itself, which basically built by hand instead of machine.

My Linn LP12 and other tonearm e.g. SAEC, they are not able to adjust azimuth, therefore, I needed to put a tiny piece of paper in between headshell and cartridge if adjustment needed. Lately, I received a newsletter from Decibe HiFi about a product called Cartridge Enabler, it mentioned a point that it could help to adjust the azimuth by tighten one side of screws more than the other. It costs not much but only a small piece of Enabler and few washers, but did not stop me for a trial.

I have already installed them with two tonearms, and the results are surprisingly good, you can see the photos below for the test results, the R and L crosstalks were just 0.1 db (my previous best was 0.5 db, which I was already very statified) , the antiskating THD was just 0.01% between R&L. 

In addition to the above benefit, I also noticed after adding the enabler, the bass was more fuller and more texture, I highly recommended this product. 

IMG_3925.JPG

IMG_3926.JPG

IMG_3928.JPG

Edited by mitchlim

Nice writeup. I have been looking into this software, but to be honest, the price puts me off.

Would you regard it as a large "upgrade"? What made you take the plunge, so to speak?

It's a fantastic product that takes just about all the guesswork out of cartridge installation and alignment.

It does have a learning curve,  but if you want to get the best out of an analog system, it's invaluable if you're prepared to put in the effort.

More info for anyone interested: https://www.stereo.net.au/news/magic-way-to-calibrate-a-phono-cartridge

Posted (edited)

I do agree that the software was not cheap, since I have five turntables by using this software does save me time. 

To be honest, the improvement after the adjustment is not night and day, but still noticeable. 

I do not have a good pair of ears , it is hard for me just based on ear to adjust. At least this software is more scientific. 

Edited by mitchlim

Also I do have a Fozgometer, but it only helps on azimuth, so

analomajik is better value in general 

One more point worth to address - the software should able to address whether the cartridge is faulty or not. A faulty cartridge eg a suspension issue , the VTA, Resonance tests would not able to get a pass numbers. 

I had two preowned cartridges just could not reach a pass number, and finally I sent to VAS NY for inspection and turn out that both suspensions needed to replace or adjustment. 

Nice Posting M--Interesting to see it runs on MacBook Pro--unaided(?)

My Adjust+ was PC only and I needed Virtual Box to run on with the Mac OS.

It is indeed a pity more Arms do not allow these Adjustments that can elevate  Lp playback to a level above what one is sonically finding adequate.

Kudos🙂

Willco 

I use my old 2009 MacBook Pro but installed window in boot camp 

50 minutes ago, mitchlim said:

...I do not have a good pair of ears , it is hard for me just based on ear to adjust. At least this software is more scientific. 

I would disagree.  Your ears are good because you said you can detect the subtle improvements the software-recommended adjustments made.  Cloth-ears would say that the changes didn't make any difference.

You may not have developed the experience to be able to analyze the sound and know how to adjust the setup to improve it, but that's another skill, and one that would develop from a lot of practice.  The software has been developed to help people like you. 

Just now, audiofeline said:

I would disagree.  Your ears are good because you said you can detect the subtle improvements the software-recommended adjustments made.  Cloth-ears would say that the changes didn't make any difference.

You may not have developed the experience to be able to analyze the sound and know how to adjust the setup to improve it, but that's another skill, and one that would develop from a lot of practice.  The software has been developed to help people like you. 

Thank you for your kin word. It has been a good learning curve to me