Need New receiver HDCP 2.2

Hi All,

Having upgraged to the jvc x7900 at the start of the year. Im finding myself needind a

receiver with HDCP 2.2.

Currently running a Denon x4100. Love the Denon sounds fantastic. But i have to plug projector HDMI direct to player every time i want to watch 4k bluray.

I dont want to spend a great deal this time around. Sick of AV receivers going out of date when the next codec comes out.

Need a receiver with 2 outputs. Its connected to a 75 inch 4k tv and the JVC projector.

Noticed on ebay this Yamaha RX v685. Will sound quality differ a great deal. Love the Audyssey on the Denon. Setup the subs perfectly.

What else would be recommended around the 1k mark

@mercury10

sound quality between AVRS indeed does differ. not only power supplies, analog stages, dacs, power stage, av pre stage, processing and implementation. I am not sure why would take such a step back to the under $1k yammy. keep in mind the equivalent current denon to replace yours is the x4500 worth nearly $3k ! your current denon also has dual outs just not compatible 

https://www.audiotrends.com.au/denon-avr-x4500h.html

yes av gear does progress at quite a rate, I wish had asked in the first place re the x4100 as I know I was going around telling all folk not to buy the pre hdcp2.2 units, not only displays but also airs and such even if they said 4k because we knew they were not going to support hdcp required for 4k uhd :) 

if you don't want to replace your denon, there is a way round. you can buy a splitter unit that will strip hdcp... just about all do... but have to pick choose to find one that will also pass 4k uhd.... check with @EZYHD alternatively buy a more expensive bluestream unit.... its brought in the country by qualifi and most BPP stores have them. in early days of uhd one of them was happy to lend me one. you put these ither before or after the denon and will do the trick. borrow one to try if unsure. your jvc also has edid B on hdmi 2 in which is also worth exploring as provided for older avrs. and thos using can comment more.

you can also get a player that has dual out... eg the upper market panasonics and such... this will pass one signal to your avr for audio another to projector for picture... this is for non compliant AVRs...

so few ways to cut this... just no need to dump a good avr for a very below budget one in the cheap yammy....

2 minutes ago, mercury10 said:

Thanks. Will look into the bluestream splitter.  Is it a big downgrade to the Denon avr3500. Looks promising price wise.

Can say with personal experience they do 100% go up as go up range, in every facet. Rather than pushing self to lower model I’d just wait till get refreshed and then buy when discounted or 2nd hand when folks upgrade.

also the denon Marantz units are cousins so can also look out from Marantz equivalent will find exact same menus etc so won’t find have to relearn everything !

Yes mercury as noted if your happy with your denon get a dual hdmi uhd player and feed its video into a uhd splitter like Al mentioned to feed your JVC and 4k tv . 2 options for the player are the sony Irek mentioned if you want dolby vision capability [ is your tv dv compatible ?] or the Panasonic ub420 which is hdr10+ and close in price :)

Differences like HCX video processing and sacd playback between the 2 ..

I Have the Panasonic ub420 player.

Anyways i bought a Sony SDr 1080 from ebay pretty cheap just to see what all the fuss is about.

Its great that i can just plug everything in and HDR and 4K now work through TV and projector via

all sources. Shield and Player, but man the sound is real tinny.

So many people rave about the sound of these Sony's but the Denon 4100 is infinitely better sound wise.

Just doesnt sound like its able to drive the speakers. Is there any thing to be aware of setting up these things.

I may sell both and get a Denon 4500w .

Even the sub sounds very flat and its a SVS PC13 ultra

15 minutes ago, mercury10 said:

Anyways i bought a Sony SDr 1080 from ebay pretty cheap just to see what all the fuss is about.

Its great that i can just plug everything in and HDR and 4K now work through TV and projector via

So many people rave about the sound of these Sony's but the Denon 4100 is infinitely better sound wise.

Just doesnt sound like its able to drive the speakers. Is there any thing to be aware of setting up these things.

unfortunately do get what you pay for :D 

definitely go the upgrade .... :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mercury10 said:

The maximum power consumption on the Sony is 240W. Class A/B amps have max 70% efficiency - spread that over 7 channels and you've got 24W per channel, all channels driven.

Agree you should upgrade to an AVR with some decent grunt.

The flat sounding sub probably just needs some decent room equalisation, which the Denon has.

• Like 1

Hi All,

I'm in a similiar boat. Bought a Benq W5700 4K projector at Easter and realised my AVR is too old. I will be watching 4K content mostly from Netflix and Youtube. Is there a workaround for my old AVR? Like buy an Apple TV 4K and connect audio to the receiver and video to the projector. Is this possible even though it only has 1 HDMI port? 

On 29/04/2019 at 8:46 PM, Quark said:

The maximum power consumption on the Sony is 240W. Class A/B amps have max 70% efficiency - spread that over 7 channels and you've got 24W per channel, all channels driven.

Agree you should upgrade to an AVR with some decent grunt.

The flat sounding sub probably just needs some decent room equalisation, which the Denon has.

Definately miss Audyssey from the Denon. Was tempted by a Yamaha 2085. But the lack of Audyssey through me.

Dont understand why all manufacturers dont use it. There own systems are pretty crap from what ive seen.

Just now, mercury10 said:

Definately miss Audyssey from the Denon. Was tempted by a Yamaha 2085. But the lack of Audyssey through me.

Dont understand why all manufacturers dont use it. There own systems are pretty crap from what ive seen.

Anthem's ARC and Dirac Live are other good room correction software. Yamaha's YPAO has improved, but they are too opaque about how it's implemented in different AVRs.