Yamaha CD-3 repair

Hey Guys,

I picked up a Yamaha CD-3 for next to nothing with remote. Had a feeling something would be up with it but the price was "why not" scenario.

Guy said it worked, was just fussy with CD's, well it's fussy, but fussy with all CD's. I gave it a spin and it's doing (what seems to be common for them) to pick track 2 and play for 40 odd seconds then skip back to about 10 seconds in.
I opened it up, cleaned it up, cleaned the laser etc etc. hoped for the best but same result.

I can't find replacement lasers for them on the net, however i am wondering (as it does sound really good) if it's able to be repaired? @vintagejapan 

If not, i'll just hang onto it and wait in case i find another one for parts or something. It's in good nick and i feel remotes are few and far between so yeah.

https://audio-heritage.jp/YAMAHA/player/cd-3.html

Cheers.
Josh

Dug a little further in, looks like the belt to shift the transport laser forward/backwards is gone! fingers crossed new belts and another good clean gets this old girl functioning again.

Cheers.

Edited by JoshG
  • Like 1

On 21/04/2019 at 1:03 PM, JoshG said:

I can't find replacement lasers for them on the net, however i am wondering (as it does sound really good) if it's able to be repaired?

The fault is hardly ever with a laser itself.

It is usually some mechanics that drives the laser, or some dirt, brittle gear or - as you have found out - a stretched belt.

Guest Mr Thorens

I agree the CD3 is a nice sounding player. One of the early second generation with unique Yamaha single channel DAC that had channel sharing to deliver the stereo output.l at a time when DAC chips were expensive. Also had a decent audio section. The larger brother of the the CDX-2 which was my first CDP in 1985 and the first to retail under $500. Doesn't have the resolution of the modern ones but sounded good.  

On 21/04/2019 at 3:03 PM, JoshG said:

Hey Guys,

I picked up a Yamaha CD-3 for next to nothing with remote. Had a feeling something would be up with it but the price was "why not" scenario.

Guy said it worked, was just fussy with CD's, well it's fussy, but fussy with all CD's. I gave it a spin and it's doing (what seems to be common for them) to pick track 2 and play for 40 odd seconds then skip back to about 10 seconds in.
I opened it up, cleaned it up, cleaned the laser etc etc. hoped for the best but same result.

I can't find replacement lasers for them on the net, however i am wondering (as it does sound really good) if it's able to be repaired? @vintagejapan 

If not, i'll just hang onto it and wait in case i find another one for parts or something. It's in good nick and i feel remotes are few and far between so yeah.

https://audio-heritage.jp/YAMAHA/player/cd-3.html

Cheers.
Josh

Not familiar with it sorry JoshG. I hope you get it sorted.

• Like 1

On 23/04/2019 at 3:41 PM, Mr Thorens said:

I agree the CD3 is a nice sounding player. One of the early second generation with unique Yamaha single channel DAC that had channel sharing to deliver the stereo output.l at a time when DAC chips were expensive. Also had a decent audio section. The larger brother of the the CDX-2 which was my first CDP in 1985 and the first to retail under $500. Doesn't have the resolution of the modern ones but sounded good.  

I could be wrong but I remember that the 2 generation Yammies had 3 laser tracking,  also one of the 1st manufacturers using LSI compared to the original 1st Yammie CD player.  the SQ on the very 1st Yammie,  forgot the model number uses all discrete components, that populated the circuit pcb, weight a tonne and was expensive, they al sounded different.

Wooo! playing like a champion with new belts.

Thanks for the input all. Happy days! - I am really happy with the sound and can't complain for $23.00 haha

cd-3.jpg

On 26/04/2019 at 12:05 AM, Addicted to music said:

I could be wrong but I remember that the 2 generation Yammies had 3 laser tracking,  also one of the 1st manufacturers using LSI compared to the original 1st Yammie CD player.  the SQ on the very 1st Yammie,  forgot the model number uses all discrete components, that populated the circuit pcb, weight a tonne and was expensive, they al sounded different.

Yes correct, it's in audio-heritage -  "The 3 head system is adopted as an optical head part. In this method, three beams are obliquely irradiated, and the error between the preceding beam and the following beam is detected to perform precise high-speed servo. 
Furthermore, the New ALPC circuit is carried and the stable reading is enabled by controlling the reflected light quantity from the disk automatically."

Yep LSI too. It's really not a bad player!

Guest kryten2001
31 minutes ago, JoshG said:

Wooo! playing like a champion with new belts.

Thanks for the input all. Happy days! - I am really happy with the sound and can't complain for $23.00 haha

cd-3.jpg

Awesome stuff. I do love my "vintage" yamaha gear.. (Doesn't seem vintage to me until I realise how long ago it was).

Great stuff man.

edit: just noticed the PS1..... Love it.

Edited by kryten2001

• 1 year later...

hi just got a cd3 free. no remote but decent condition. the belts are totally gone they are like a black paste. where can i buy new belts and do you remeber the size.  

• 6 months later...
On 05/07/2020 at 1:36 AM, nascar said:

hi just got a cd3 free. no remote but decent condition. the belts are totally gone they are like a black paste. where can i buy new belts and do you remeber the size.  

Did you manage to find them? I can look it up for you if not, im 99% sure i got them from ebay

Hope you got it sorted! Its still my main player