Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
NKMA

DSPeaker (Anti mode) connection to Sub woofer

Recommended Posts

Hi All, 

 

I recently acquired an Anti-mode from here to improve the Bass situation with my speakers and although the volume has reduced and i have to turn it up a bit, the overall bass has improved and music is sounding much soother (less echoing) and better now. 

 

Digital Source -> DAC -> Anti Mode (RCA In and XLR out)  -> Integrated Amp -> Speakers

 

I had left my subwoofer out of the calibration and now want to include it. However currently, my Sub (Rel S/3) is connected to the speaker posts in the integrated amp through the Neutrik cable that came with it.  Any ideas on how to connect the subwoofer to the Antimode?

 

Thanks in advance for your assistance..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I understand things correctly with your current setup you should simply run the calibration again with the subwoofer on.

 

Presumably, you already have the gain\volume and the crossover and the phase control to where you think they should be on the subwoofer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Satanica said:

If I understand things correctly with your current setup you should simply run the calibration again with the subwoofer on.

 

Presumably, you already have the gain\volume and the crossover and the phase control to where you think they should be on the subwoofer.

Thanks @Satanica, I haven’t connected my subwoofer to the Antimode yet. Only to the Amp. Is that enough? Does it automatically do the sub as well?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, NKMA said:

Thanks @Satanica, I haven’t connected my subwoofer to the Antimode yet. Only to the Amp. Is that enough? Does it automatically do the sub as well?

The way you setup your subwoofer is not a separate channel from your speakers.

Think of it as an overlap and extension of your current speakers which is defined by the crossover setting.

 

With your current setup your Antimode has no idea of your subwoofer and has no way of doing so.

But when it measures your left speaker the subwoofer will also be contributing to bass frequencies.

And when it measures your right speaker the subwoofer will also be contributing to bass frequencies.

The Antimode should correct the overall frequency of your left speaker and your right speaker with the subwoofer contributing.

Edited by Satanica

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Ah, makes sense, thank you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have a look at the following link which provides some connection examples.

 

http://www.dspeaker.com/en/technology/anti-mode-technology/anti-mode-20-dual-core-connection-examples.shtml

 

The way I did it with a 2ch system with a subwoofer and the Dspeaker 2.0 was to either connect the sub passively off the speaker or amp terminals or actively via the RCA connections on the Dspeaker 2.0, as others have said the Dspeaker treats the 2ch left and right and sub as a combined left and right channel. You just need to ensure the level matches your 2ch speakers.

 

JDH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

An excellent little device, mine services my subwoofers only and it works a treat, an absolute keeper.

 

I like to keep my mains away from and DSP, I think it sounds nicer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, jdh500 said:

Have a look at the following link which provides some connection examples.

 

http://www.dspeaker.com/en/technology/anti-mode-technology/anti-mode-20-dual-core-connection-examples.shtml

 

The way I did it with a 2ch system with a subwoofer and the Dspeaker 2.0 was to either connect the sub passively off the speaker or amp terminals or actively via the RCA connections on the Dspeaker 2.0, as others have said the Dspeaker treats the 2ch left and right and sub as a combined left and right channel. You just need to ensure the level matches your 2ch speakers.

 

JDH

Thanks @jdh500. What does the last line mean? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Posted (edited)

Also @jdh500, @Darren69 - I have a vitus amp and do I take the pre-out from the amp to antimode and then rca to the subs? This way speakers will be out of the equation?

 

Edited by NKMA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, NKMA said:

Also @jdh500, @Darren69 - I have a vitus amp and do I take the pre-out from the amp to antimode and then rca to the subs? This way speakers will be out of the equation?

 

My pre amp has all of the 'outs' active at any time. So I can run outs to the mono blocks and to the Anti Mode, simple as that.

 

So depending on the 'outs' available, one can run XLR or RCA to the Antimode and onto the subs.

 

Alternatively, one can run a digital from the DAC to the Antimode as well.

 

Do you have the manual?

Edited by Darren69

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Darren, checked the manual and it says Preout can be connected to power amp for biamping (not my need) or to active subs.

Will try with this setup without the speakers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I hook my subs to the DSPeaker through an RCA cable with a splitter at the sub end, I have the same sub as you only twice as many. :)

 

You can just leave it like Satanica suggests but you will need to tell the unit what configuration you are running during the calibration process.

 

You can run RCA from the integrated to the subs if you have RCA-Outs on the unit. I think this would sound better, I never liked the sound of the Neutrik setup at all but hey, just leaving as is and running the calibration might tie it all in in your system, in your room, who knows, you have a few ideas there to play with.

 

Also looks like there is an upgrade ready to be uploaded t the unit, will do that later on as well (Feb 2019).

Edited by Darren69

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


58 minutes ago, Darren69 said:

I hook my subs to the DSPeaker through an RCA cable with a splitter at the sub end, I have the same sub as you only twice as many. :)

 

You can just leave it like Satanica suggests but you will need to tell the unit what configuration you are running during the calibration process.

 

You can run RCA from the integrated to the subs if you have RCA-Outs on the unit. I think this would sound better, I never liked the sound of the Neutrik setup at all but hey, just leaving as is and running the calibration might tie it all in in your system, in your room, who knows, you have a few ideas there to play with.

 

Also looks like there is an upgrade ready to be uploaded t the unit, will do that later on as well (Feb 2019).

Thanks for the suggestions Darren, tried the amp pre-out to Antimode and RCA out to the Sub, this sounds better as the speaker volumes are much better..

 

I did try as Satanica suggested, but only selected 2.0 channel and not the 2.1 setting, yes a few options to try.

 

Antimode has only one set of L/R RCA out. How do you connect two subs in them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, NKMA said:

Thanks for the suggestions Darren, tried the amp pre-out to Antimode and RCA out to the Sub, this sounds better as the speaker volumes are much better..

 

I did try as Satanica suggested, but only selected 2.0 channel and not the 2.1 setting, yes a few options to try.

 

Antimode has only one set of L/R RCA out. How do you connect two subs in them?

One to the L and one to the R with an Audioquest RCA splitter at the sub end so I can connect to both the L&R 'ins' on the sub. I use Canare cable and connectors.

 

Just a note- remember you can use quite a few combo's on ins and outs but you canna use both XLR and RCA in at the same time.

 

http://www.dspeaker.com/en/technology/anti-mode-technology/anti-mode-20-dual-core-connection-examples.shtml

 

I have heard more than once that I should try the subs in 'mono' which I am also yet to try. All sorts of fun with this stuff, it's a great unit. If you really want excellent integration and room correction, I don't think you can beat the DEQX units but much more $$.

 

As I have already said, I prefer the subs only to be treated and the mains au natural with a bit of room treatment. If one has bass issues in a room then that is very hard to treat with acoustic treatments, I have compromised with my little Anti Mode. :) 

 

Did you see the update there ready to download to the device? Last one my machine had on it was the 2014 version, don't know if it will make any difference to what I use it for but I just uploaded the latest version, was easy following the prompts.

 

 

Edited by Darren69

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, Darren69 said:

One to the L and one to the R with an Audioquest RCA splitter at the sub end so I can connect to both the L&R 'ins' on the sub. I use Canare cable and connectors.

That makes sense, thanks.

 

Did read about not using two inputs at the same time.😊. Don’t want to blow it up just yet..

 

Yes I did read about DEQX, over 5k, so have to save for it and will look out in the second hand if anything pops out.

 

My laptop could not see the Antimode, so will have to try with my computer - for the update.

 

Also my room challenge is Bass is only around the corners and back walls, so I might get another Sub..

Edited by NKMA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If anyone is interested I have a couple of Dspeaker anti-nodes 2.0s, thinking of selling one and keeping the other.

 

Will eventually get around to advertising it or wait for someone to post another want to buy add !!!

 

JDH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...