Sign in to follow this  
Brad24

What are the Ania carts that come with Rega P6 like?

I’m considering stepping up my TT to a Rega planar 6 & was wondering what the Ania carts that are an option are like.

I see that you can buy a P6 with no cart.

Would a better option be to buy the TT with no cart & but something like a Ortofon 2M black?

thanks

Hi Brad,
If you have a suitable photo stage, the Ania is well priced bundled with the P6. It’s a little more forgiving than the 2M Black, which some find overly forward. The Ania does subtle layering better, but the Black has more impact and kick.
I really enjoyed both cartridges and would happily use either again. Any chance you can hear them?
Mick.

3 hours ago, AussieMick said:

Hi Brad,
If you have a suitable photo stage, the Ania is well priced bundled with the P6. It’s a little more forgiving than the 2M Black, which some find overly forward. The Ania does subtle layering better, but the Black has more impact and kick.
I really enjoyed both cartridges and would happily use either again. Any chance you can hear them?
Mick.

Hi Mick

Ive got a Schiit Mani phono stage in my set up at the moment.

Not sure if it’s up to the task of working well with P6 TT.

Ill see if I can talk a dealer into letting me hear them

cheers mate

Posted (edited)

I am relatively new to vinyl, so absolutely take this with a grain of salt.

I took one home with me on Thursday with a Dynavector p75 MKiv phono stage. My previous dabble was with a project carbon esprit with an Ortofon 2m Bronze and phono box DS.

The first four hours were a let down, then about 4 hours in over side one of Tracey Chapman (eponymous) Mint 1st press it really opened up (I replayed side one and it was noticeably improved). I’m expecting it will slowly improve over the next few weeks.

I ran it through the phono box for a few albums, and it clearly kicks the **** out of the old TT/Cart... but the Dynavector is clearly on another level.

Quite a few apples and oranges in there, but I know my digital (TEAC VRDS’s and MoFi CD’s, MQA) and it clearly beats digital 9 times out of 10 (though I don’t have any of the MOVs/Back to Blacks they make using the CD master - all mint NOS and MoFi etc).

I did also try it with a shoot demo (so a run in) Musical Fidelity MX-VYNL, which sounded thin and tinny.

Edited by furtherpale

Hi, I have an RP6 with a Ortofon 2M black, very happy with it and I'm sure you will be as well, love my Vinyl as it just sounds better!!

Lots of options available to you really, depending on budget of course. The Hana carts have always been reviewed favourably and I would love to acquire one someday to try. The late great Duc supplied me with a wood bodied DL103r and an inexpensive SUT to run into my Graham Slee MM phono stage. Probably not quite as detailed as my 2M Black, but has a warmer sound (for want of a better expression). So getting into MC could be something to look at as well.

Which ever way you go don't forget to report back. I love to hear how the journey progresses for us punters!

1 hour ago, furtherpale said:

I am relatively new to vinyl, so absolutely take this with a grain of salt.

I took one home with me on Thursday with a Dynavector p75 MKiv phono stage. My previous dabble was with a project carbon esprit with an Ortofon 2m Bronze and phono box DS.

The first four hours were a let down, then about 4 hours in over side one of Tracey Chapman (eponymous) Mint 1st press it really opened up (I replayed side one and it was noticeably improved). I’m expecting it will slowly improve over the next few weeks.

I ran it through the phono box for a few albums, and it clearly kicks the **** out of the old TT/Cart... but the Dynavector is clearly on another level.

Quite a few apples and oranges in there, but I know my digital (TEAC VRDS’s and MoFi CD’s, MQA) and it clearly beats digital 9 times out of 10 (though I don’t have any of the MOVs/Back to Blacks they make using the CD master - all mint NOS and MoFi etc).

I did also try it with a shoot demo (so a run in) Musical Fidelity MX-VYNL, which sounded thin and tinny.

Thanks for the info & reply

Did you get the Ania cart with your TT?

49 minutes ago, Jebediah said:

Lots of options available to you really, depending on budget of course. The Hana carts have always been reviewed favourably and I would love to acquire one someday to try. The late great Duc supplied me with a wood bodied DL103r and an inexpensive SUT to run into my Graham Slee MM phono stage. Probably not quite as detailed as my 2M Black, but has a warmer sound (for want of a better expression). So getting into MC could be something to look at as well.

Which ever way you go don't forget to report back. I love to hear how the journey progresses for us punters!

Thanks, no probs, will do

1 hour ago, The Bluesman said:

Hi, I have an RP6 with a Ortofon 2M black, very happy with it and I'm sure you will be as well, love my Vinyl as it just sounds better!!

Hey mate, cheers 

1 hour ago, Brad24 said:

Thanks for the info & reply

Did you get the Ania cart with your TT?

Yup :)

Update for you... maybe at hour 30... and it’s noticably opened up again tonight.... truly stunning.

Everything I have is MoFi, NOS 60s/70s or brand new full analogue remasters.

MQA/DSD etc can eat ****!!!