Sign in to follow this  
Cshez

Richter Mentor V

Hi! 

First time posting here! I’m looking for purchasing advice in relation to the Richter Mentor V speakers. I have a Pro-ject Debut Carbon Esprit and a Marantz 2252b and I’m looking at the Mentors to replace Klipsch R15M speakers that I got to start my system off.

There’s a bit of information/reviews on the smaller Merlin’s online, but not too much info on the Mentors.

Does anyone have any opinions or sage wisdom in relation to the Mentors and how they would go with my setup?

Cheers

Forget the forgettable Richters and try these.

15 minutes ago, rantan said:

Forget the forgettable

What didn't you like about them @rantan specifically?  What made them forgettable, are they both equally forgettable or is one better or worse than the other?

The cabinet construction and finish of the Merlin is pretty damn good at that price point.

What didn't you like about their performance. I have my own reservations. I would be interested to hear yours.

Posted (edited)

@allthumbs

I have read here that Brad Sehran was involved in the design of the Merlin and Mentor V5 speakers :)

Edited by Muon N'

Posted (edited)

Having previously worked in the industry for several decades, I have heard just about every Richter speaker ever made.

The older Ralph Waters designs were and are superb,with the Wizard in particular attaining almost cult status. After Ralph sold the name and the company they were bought by an Australian company who decided to take production off shore, which does not necessarily imply poor quality, but IMO with each generation they became just ordinary and after hearing most of the latest range I just feel like their heart is not in it.

You will  find them routinely discounted, even on  the company website and I just feel that there are so many superior choices on the market. The irony here is that with the latest range I really, wanted to like them and I commenced my auditioning with great optimism and left very sad indeed.

I also freely acknowledge that buying and auditioning speakers in particular, is very subjective and I have no joy in saying what I have posted and certainly have no axe to grind. In point of fact, I love supporting Australian companies.

Brad Serhan has been involved with the company in recent times and he is a guy for whom I have immense respect, having known him since he started building speakers in his bedroom at home and I found it difficult to correlate his undoubted skill and knowledge with the current range of speakers.

I wish I could say something different and positive but that is how I see (hear ) it and ultimately this is just one person's opinion.

Edited by rantan

Posted (edited)

Those Orpheus Aurora 3 speakers do use some nice drivers, Audax midwoofers that are really expressive if the crossover allows them to be. And the tweeter is  Audax also.

Hopefully the inductor on the two woofers is an aircore type, can't find any pics.

Edited by Muon N'

8 minutes ago, Muon N' said:

Those Orpheus Aurora 3 speakers do use some nice drivers, Audax midwoofers that are really expressive if the crossover allows them to be. And the tweeter is  Audax also.

Hopefully the inductor on the two woofers is an aircore type, can't find any pics.

They really are superb drivers. I had Audax drivers in a pair of Kelly KT3 speakers and the midrange in particular was just amazing.  if I had the space and for $550 I would buy them without hesitation. For a speaker that good it is a stonking bargain

@rantan If I bought them I'd be looking at a re-work of the XO's :)

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, rantan said:

They really are superb drivers. I had Audax drivers in a pair of Kelly KT3 speakers and the midrange in particular was just amazing.  if I had the space and for $550 I would buy them without hesitation. For a speaker that good it is a stonking bargain

I had a similar Audax midwoofer in my Harlequin Mkll's, not sure if the exact same 170mm model as there were a few that visual looked the same. I gave the XO's a large gauge air core inductor and they became a new beast with a level of expression that was way beyond what the stock one allowed.

Edit: I should have kept those.

Edited by Muon N'

7 minutes ago, Muon N' said:

If I bought them I'd be looking at a re-work of the XO's :)

@Muon N', not clear if you are talking about the Orpheus or the Richter speakers.  For what its worth I did some close comparison of the Voicebox and the Richter Merlin, and in that vocal midrange I think you can hear Serhan's touch and they are pretty close. 

My feeling was if they had perhaps designed the crossover for a 65Hz Bass instead of 55Hz they would have had killer speakers.

I think you get, left, right and centre, but the music seems to always emanate from the speaker box, alas.

For the OP who posted his questions concerning the Mentors of which I have not had a chance to listen to Serhan was involved in both the design and development of the Merlin and Mentor, so in shorthand what you read about the Merlin is probably true for the Mentor.

Thanks for all of the replies, really appreciate it. Those Orpheus 3’s look like a really great deal. Unfortunately, I’m in Brisbane and they are listed as pickup only.

I suppose the crux of my question was at ~$750 mark, how do the Mentors stack up against other bookshelf speakers? What else should I be looking at if not the Mentors?

Obviously the Orpheus 3’s are in another ballpark, given they are significantly more expensive new and floorstanding. Apples and oranges?

Jeez guys you're really making me question my decision to sell these the aurora 3s.

@Cshez if you don't find anything locally pm me maybe we can work out some shipping options.

I've actually not had any nibbles for the speakers amazingly enough... Maybe just the time of year? 

Hi, I am suggesting take the amplifier with your favourite music to the shop and try at least few brands. Are you absolutely sure you don't want to go with floorstanders? If you definitely prefer bookshelf speakers than I would start auditioning from kef LS 50. 

Hi, I am suggesting take the amplifier with your favourite music to the shop and try at least few brands. Are you absolutely sure you don't want to go with floorstanders? If you definitely prefer bookshelf speakers than I would start auditioning from kef LS 50. 

Thanks, I’m not opposed to floorstanders, but in terms of looks they need to pass the test that is my fiancé.

maybe we can work out some shipping options.

Does anyone have any suggestions/experience packing and shipping floorstanders from Melbourne to Brisbane? Is it economical? Companies?