Sign in to follow this  
mpearce38

Pioneer PL-740 replacement Cartridge

My dad has Pioneer PL-740 turntable, it circa 1980s and has been in storage for some time. He wants to play some of his old records but the stylus us missing. I can get a replacement from UK around $100AUD (PN-5MC) but was thinking if I would be better off replacing the cart? any recommendations?

An AT95E for $59 at JB will do the job nicely. 

However the original cart/ stylus is actually a high output moving coil and sounds quite stunning. I've had one before and is quite articulate in the top end and has plenty of good MC energy in spite of its spherical stylus. The stylus assembly includes the coils and is in effect a snap in cartridge replacement. For optimum sound the original replacement will be very good. For a quick solution the AT95E is adequate. 

Edited by Mr Thorens

From what I remember it was a P mount.

2 hours ago, Mr Thorens said:

However the original cart/ stylus is actually a high output moving coil and sounds quite stunning. I've had one before and is quite articulate in the top end and has plenty of good MC energy in spite of its spherical stylus. The stylus assembly includes the coils and is in effect a snap in cartridge replacement. For optimum sound the original replacement will be very good. For a quick solution the AT95E is adequate. 

6 hours ago, Mr Thorens said:

I have also used the Pioneer 5MC, nice sounding high output MC,  so at that price worth getting the stylus as @Mr Thorens advises. 

Thanks Mr Thorens for the info exactly what I was after. I'll source the original cart from the UK unless there is a local supplier you can recommend

1 hour ago, mkaramazov said:

I have also used the Pioneer 5MC, nice sounding high output MC,  so at that price worth getting the stylus as @Mr Thorens advises. 

looks like