Your hifi system, and how guests say the darndest things

I had a friend's son visit. He was really into music but only had experience of a 3-in-1 and some basic headphones so he knew that headphones were better. He  wanted to listen to mine so he could compare with his. He liked mine (still an inexpensive pair) but decided he wanted to hear the big speakers as well. I sat him in THE CHAIR and put on one of his favourite albums (yes, he listened to albums!). 

His eyes got really big? and he didn't say anything for several hours.?

• Like 17
  • Love 3

We had some elderly friends come for lunch one Sunday and during the conversation afterwards it emerged that they had thought, "we should be nice and warm today", as they thought my speakers were space heaters. When they inquired about the cost of them I said a double digit figure, 25. The next question was, "Hundred?" When I then said thousand, the eyebrows went up and I was told, "You can buy a car for that much money".

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, JukKluk2 said:

I said a double digit figure, 25. The next question was, "Hundred?" When I then said thousand, the eyebrows went up and I was told, "You can buy a car for that much money".

Thing is 

That statement is true ?

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, JukKluk2 said:

We had some elderly friends come for lunch one Sunday and during the conversation afterwards it emerged that they had thought, "we should be nice and warm today", as they thought my speakers were space heaters. When they inquired about the cost of them I said a double digit figure, 25. The next question was, "Hundred?" When I then said thousand, the eyebrows went up and I was told, "You can buy a car for that much money".

I listened to a Henry Rollins interview where he talked about his hifi system which includes Wilson Alexandrias. His car was a Mazda 626. Man has his priorities straight !

• Like 4

On 20/04/2019 at 3:14 PM, JukKluk2 said:
"You can buy a car for that much money".

Yep had that one

Great Thread

Edited by gpatt
spelling

I had one niece sit for hours and really enjoyed and understood why I spend money and time on this passion.

My other niece was here with her husband and he said "I get it now", she kept looking at her phone while we listened to all different genres of music for hours and to her credit didn't pester him too much about leaving.

One of my brothers recently tried to put his stuff (cap, phone etc) on one of my speakers and even moved the soft toy aside. When I told him it wasn't a shelf he got upset and carried on. He also stated his crappy Harvey Norman system was not much different in sound. I bit my tongue, after all he is one of my brothers.

Edited by Whites
Word missing.
  • Like 5

@Whites A friend who is very particular about where people rest their drinks at her house (and fair enough), placed her wine glass on one of my speakers. She moved it, but didn’t understand what the issue was. 

So so I feel your pain. lol. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JukKluk2 said:

When I then said thousand, the eyebrows went up and I was told, "You can buy a car for that much money".

Wait till they tell you you can buy a house for that much money.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Goatboy said:

I listened to a Henry Rollins interview where he talked about his hifi system which includes Wilson Alexandrias. His car was a Mazda 626. Man has his priorities straight !

Was watching a Bill Kelliher interview today (Mastodon rhythm guitarist) and his old man had was an audiophile and had hi fi shops in NY for 30 years.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Darren69 said:

Was watching a Bill Kelliher interview today (Mastodon rhythm guitarist) and his old man had was an audiophile and had hi fi shops in NY for 30 years.

Goes a way to explaining his interest in music

1 minute ago, Goatboy said:

Goes a way to explaining his interest in music

True, but doesn't explain their average recording mastering efforts. :D 

Still bloody love them.

Edited by Darren69

2 minutes ago, Darren69 said:

True, but doesn't explain their average recording mastering efforts. :D 

Still bloody love them.

Lol. Dave Grohl champions analog sound, bought the Sound City mastering desk - which is an engineering feat and makes documentaries as an ode to great recordings. Yet, some of the worst pressings in my collection are Foo Fighters. I actually use one of their albums  to demo the difference between good and crap pressings. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Goatboy said:

Lol. Dave Grohl champions analog sound, bought the Sound City mastering desk - which is an engineering feat and makes documentaries as an ode to great recordings. Yet, some of the worst pressings in my collection are Foo Fighters. I actually use one of their albums  to demo the difference between good and crap pressings. 

Yes. Runaways by The Killers for me is an absolutely goose bump worthy song for me as it does pretty well describes my first marriage as a young and foolish man. But hardly phile worthy and one of my reference tracks, along with 'Heaven' by Angels And Airwaves. Just great music.

Thing is, the older I get the more I realise I am one part audiophile and three parts music lover so that wins out in the end, thank God.

JBL's should be here soon. ;) 

..a million miles away. Your signal in the distance...to whom it may concern...

Edited by Darren69
  • Like 3

When we have friends and guests over they often enquire about the music system and are keen for a demonstration to see if they can hear the difference from their music devices. I sit them in the main sofa which is in the exact spot that a standing wave forms. Play various tracks to show the detail and sound quality but then slip on “We are young” by Fun. When that super low bass hits their eyes go wide and every single person has laughed as they feel the physical bass pass through them. It’s always fun to be part of, to see the joy. 

Edited by KRSDarwin
  • Like 2

The wife had some girl friends over and when she was giving them a house tour she showed them The Death Star (my music room).

One of them asked her what I do in there.

My wife said I listen to records with the lights off and sometimes I have other guys over to listen to records with the lights off (my wife finds that hilarious).

Then one of them asked, "Do they touch each other?"...

Awkward pause....

My wife then laughed and said she calls us Hi-Fi guys, "Hi-Fi Homos".

Women!

:D

• Like 14
  • Love 1
  • Haha 6

Great thread! :-)

I recently had a listening party for family after my speakers arrived, (I even did a mini-presentation on converting bits to soundwaves) - whilst a number of songs got the appropriate oohs and aahs due to them noticing new sounds, placement and overall quality & detail...the only thing my brother (my brother!) could add was that I should just use Spotify  as its so much easier and the playlist could be shared...

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, furtherpale said:

“I prefer my stereo, I only spent $500 and you can hear what’s supposed to come out of the left and the right speaker... yours sounds like it comes from in the middle and moves around” (actually a paraphrase).

I think you win ?

”You got faulty speakers, the sound ain’t coming from where it should be ! And you paid a fortune !”

• Like 4

On 20/04/2019 at 6:05 PM, Goatboy said:

There is a BluRay on the Sound City mastering desk - the history and the recordings made in the studio.  All of which sounds quite listenable on the disk.  The finale is Dave Grohl (and his ego) doing a final recording on the desk/studio before he moved the desk and the studio demolished.  Basically Grohl playing with his idols (eg. McCartney).  For all the premise of the video being the quality the desk produces, this last section highlighting the music sounded compressed and horrible. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, audiofeline said:
  On 20/04/2019 at 5:35 PM, Goatboy said:

15 minutes ago, audiofeline said:

There is a BluRay on the Sound City mastering desk - the history and the recordings made in the studio.  All of which sounds quite listenable on the disk.  The finale is Dave Grohl (and his ego) doing a final recording on the desk/studio before he moved the desk and the studio demolished.  Basically Grohl playing with his idols (eg. McCartney).  For all the premise of the video being the quality the desk produces, this last section highlighting the music sounded compressed and horrible. 

I always (since early 90s) thought Dave Grohl was a bit of a knob, however didn't know why. Over the years the case has built to such proportions as to make it undeniable. Though there's a fair chunk of decent music he's contributed to and made. Also his rescue of the Neve desk from SoundCity is very much to be applauded - all the ego trippin aside.

• Like 2