Audio Technica LP120USB Turntables $80 on ebay.

My Turntable should have been delivered but the delivery time has not totally elapsed yet.

You cant ask the seller for postage tracking  if he has changed his username. There is no tracking with this item anyway. I contacted Ebay chat (Not easy to find), and they cant help until delivery is late. I am interested if they refund(they should) or if they will refuse and make me utilize PayPal.

What do we say to the God of Postage?    Not today!

On 26/04/2019 at 6:32 PM, seaninbrisbane said:

Absolutely no risk if PayPal was used for payment.

I'm afraid this is a popular mis-conception.

Paypal does not offer insurance on lost/damaged/scam items.

They simply debit the Seller's PayPal account for your money, to return, in these cases.

If the Seller pulls up stakes, closes their accounts, and delists all associated cards before you make your claim, you're on you're own I'm sorry.  ?

I have made over 700 purchases on eBay and have been scammed about 4 times - ie, no further contact from seller, no proof of postage, scratched LP sold as mint. PayPal have always reimbursed with no trouble whatsoever. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, seaninbrisbane said:

I have made over 700 purchases on eBay and have been scammed about 4 times - ie, no further contact from seller, no proof of postage, scratched LP sold as mint. PayPal have always reimbursed with no trouble whatsoever. 

I've done 4 times what you have over the last 20 years (I joined US eBay in 1997), and had many more disappointments.

They get it from the Seller's acct - it's the only 'protection' they afford.

Read their T&C's - it's all in there.

Anyway, your C card might also cover you if PayPal/eBay don't.

Good luck and hoping for a quick resolution.

• Like 1

• Volunteer
2 hours ago, candyflip said:

They get it from the Seller's acct - it's the only 'protection' they afford.

Read their T&C's - it's all in there.

Does that mean if the seller’s account has been hacked then you have no hope?

1 hour ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

Does that mean if the seller’s account has been hacked then you have no hope?

I have bought from a hacked sellers account and was refunded. Usually if the seller has plenty of feedback and there are multiple items that are too good to be true it is a hack. If the seller has low or zero sales they never get anywhere near the paypal money as ebay hold it back for a month.

• Like 1

Ebay like to promote themselves as a safe place to buy stuff as compared with dodgy gumtree (which they own) and scary facebook  and the hardly need to be mentioned boiling frog Trading Post, so they generally look after buyers very well. Sellers.... not so much.

• Like 2

Perhaps when it looks too good to be true, it is too good to be true.

Instead of buying something that was clearly a scam,  some more research and advising ebay of the scam would have been a more prudent action that could have been taken, saving other less informed people of being ripped off.

Crying that we are now ripped off, unfortunately does not get much sympathy here.

Edited by metal beat
  • Like 5

On 02/05/2019 at 9:55 PM, metal beat said:

Perhaps when it looks too good to be true, it is too good to be true.

Instead of buying something that was clearly a scam,  some more research and advising ebay of the scam would have been a more prudent action that could have been taken, saving other less informed people of being ripped off.

Crying that we are now ripped off, unfortunately does not get much sympathy here.

It wasn't clearly a scam.  eBay would not have removed the listing just because it was a bit cheap. Nobody has been ripped off.

1 hour ago, seaninbrisbane said:

It wasn't clearly a scam.  

Sorry mate, but apart from the seller specifically stating in the ad "this is a scam", every single ebay scam/hacked account alarm bell was ringing.

The seller had no prior history of selling electronics. Suddenly, he lists 30 brand new turntables at 1/5 of the market price, including free shipping. Turntables aren't cheap to ship - the boxes are large. He would barely have broken even for each sale to WA or NT, and have made, say $30-40 profit for each sale to the east coast, after ebay and paypal fees and shipping costs. It simply didn't add up.

As the saying goes... if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is. :)

Edited by pete_mac
  • Thanks 1