velodyne dd18 thumping noise

On 02/07/2019 at 12:20 PM, fire said:

My baby just came home from Us, as per the photos I have taken, which showed couple of capacitors have been replaced as I am expected.

Just show someone else who has the same issues in future. 5f349d4f62f7cefba4b4a3fca4f8843d.jpg61c7d337f16edbb244753cd343a23010.jpg

Hi Fire, you have no idea how much your post and photos here have helped me out with my own situation. I have 3 x DD12's I'm trying to keep running at the studios and one of them seems to have become faulty. Symptoms seem similar to your experience. Powers up but won't pass a clean signal, just loud bursts of noise/distortion. After removing the amp module and looking at your post here to see what ebc electronics did for you, it seems those 3 caps in the power supply could be the culprit. I've since removed those and replaced them, two of the old caps did measure under spec so I'm thinking this could be part of the problem. I haven't put it back together yet to test whether it's solved the issue but will do soon.

The main reason I'm posting is that in your repaired photos there's two photos, one showing the caps in the PSU the other showing the bottom pcb on the amplifier side but I can't tell what was replaced here as you don't have a "before" photo showing that part of the PCB to compare to. Can you remember or elaborate what changed on that board?

fwiw.. I looked into a local authorised repairer and they wanted $1945 to swap out the amp with a new one. Which seems insane since this particular sub I bought used from Gumtree for $1500 a few years ago and my other two I bought new for $4-4.5k. I thought being somewhat handy with repairing electronics, that I'd look at the DIY option. I might also have my local pro audio tech look at it if my own attempts don't work out.  

On 13/03/2020 at 8:35 AM, renagade69 said:

It looks like they replaced 3 caps . The two in the front were replaced with 10V 1000uf and mine are 16v 1000uf on a 2007 year board. The rear larger one is a 2000uf 25 volt.  I am about to replace them myself. Thanks for the picture. 

Interesting your 2007 yo board has 16V 1000uF caps and 2000uF 25V. My 2004 board had 10V 1000uF and 25V 2200uF. I went with low ESR power supply rated caps on mine. Did just replacing these on yours fix your problem? 

Just an update on my DD12 sub repair. Replacing the 3 power supply caps alone didn't seem to solve the problem for me. I'll be getting my local technician to look it over in about 8-10 days time. Will update on my findings. 

• 1 year later...
On 25/4/2021 at 9:56 PM, Matt_Gray said:

Just an update on my DD12 sub repair. Replacing the 3 power supply caps alone didn't seem to solve the problem for me. I'll be getting my local technician to look it over in about 8-10 days time. Will update on my findings. 

hi

how did you go?

my DD15 appears to have developed the same problem. Random thumping even without source, very weird.

cheers