Lumin U1 mini or T2

I’m considering these models. One has a DAC and the other doesn’t.  They’re not too far off each other in price if I were to sell my DAC.

Does anyone have any experience with these that they could share. Or offer any alternatives if you’ve heard them. 

I've just started using a Lumin U1 Mini with my Chord TT2/HMS. The U1 Mini replaces am Ultrarendu, which in turn replaced an SOTM SMS 200 Ultra, Tx USB Ultra and SPS 500.

The U1 Mini is a small but noticeable step up in resolution and clarity. I bought it primarily because I wanted to go from multiple boxes (streamer, SPDIF converter and two linear PSUs) to a single box. If it sounded as good I would have been happy. The fact that it sounds better is a bonus.

I considered the T2 or the X1 for a true one box solution but have generally been unconvinced by Sabre based DACs in the past, and am happy with the Chord DACs.

Thanks @rossb. I was looking to upgrade my SOtM 200 linked to a Qutest. (Would you say streamer or DAC would be the better upgrade?)

Very nearly went your path exactly. I bought an SMS 200 Ultra with sps500, which sounded good but kept cutting out. Did the trifecta beat the Ultrarendu? 

Then I was looking at the Ultrarendu, but also wanting to make some space. Which led me to the U1 mini. Would you consider one of the external LPS upgrades?

The obvious upgrade for your Qutest is a TT2 or HMS (or both). The TT2 is a clear step up from the Qutest, and will make a more noticeable difference than a streamer upgrade. But the Qutest is still a very capable and engaging DAC (I use one in  my living room system, and could easily have lived with it in my main system).  In your position, depending on your financial position, I think I would upgrade to the TT2, then the U1 Mini, then the HMS. If you can't stretch to the TT2 right now, I think the U1 Mini is still a worthwhile upgrade.

I preferred the Ultrarendu (with linear PSU) to the Trifecta, but can't really put my finger on why. It just sounded a bit more engaging and musical to me. Also, the Ultrarendu worked a bit better - the software was easier to use, it appeared on the network instantly (the SOTM took minutes), no dropouts.

I have been thinking about a linear PSU for the U1 Mini but I like that it is one box, and it is sounding so good that I'm not sure how much benefit a linear PSU will be. I will probably do it eventually, but right now I am happy with how it is performing with the internal SMPS.

PS You're in Melbourne and I suspect Aleksandar has a T2 in stock - why don't you see if you can get a demo against your Qutest?

PPS A linear PSU is also a good upgrade for the Qutest.

Edited by rossb