Gale 401C: Which Amplifer to use?

Hi all,

I recently purchase a pair of Gale 401C's and am a little unsure of what I should be using to drive them.

I read a lot about power. The original specs suggest at least 60WPC, and I read of people using 200+. Everything I read states that more power is the way to use these speakers.

I was also told recently that stable current is perhaps more important than the power rating. I'm not sure how to utilise this comment - do amps have a 'current stability' rating?

I currently have a Dussun T6 (100wpc into 8, integrated) and recently bought a Classé 15 (175wpc, power amp) purely to power these speakers.

I blew the Classé (d'oh) and the repair technician is suggesting the amp is too big for the speakers.

Any thoughts on a good combo for these Gales? Is the Classé 15 overkill, or otherwise unsuitable? Would the Dussun do the job? Some other recommendations?

Keen to do this right. Cheers

• Like 1

The Classe 15 is a fantastic amp and would suit the speakers perfectly. As long as the Classe is in fine working order there will be no shortage of current, its a powerhouse.

The amp is not too big for the speakers, ignore that comment. I wouldn't change a thing.

• Like 2

I’ve used a Kenwood L1000 power amp, rated at 180w which drove them very well.

The surprise for me was the Bakoon which only has 15w. It was the best I heard the Gales as long as you were listening at moderate volume levels.

Cheers Dave.

• Like 2

Thanks for the input.

Technician suggests the pairing is like running a Formula 1 engine on small wheels. I'm not sure whether he's familiar with the 401c - with it being rather power hungry for the size.

Waiting to hear back from Atilla, who I'll also ask about the pairing and recommendation for amp choice.

Seems like a good match by everything I read. My main concern is damage to either device, which seems to be the technicians suggestion.

You can run Gales with  many amps but you won't come close to hearing what they can do unless you power them with one that has excellent current delivery as well as loads of watts. You need an amp with a big power supply ie lots of capacitance and big transformers otherwise they tend,at best, to sound polite and at worst to burn out the crossovers. Over the years I found that a lot of folk who sold on their Gales had not ever powered them with substantial enough amps and so had never heard them at their best.

The Classe looks to have the goods and so is probably worth repairing given the cost of finding a compatible replacement amp.

Edited by Ozcall
  • Like 2

Stick to the Denson.The best amp I have heard at any price but the problem with Gales is they do need high current amplification.Gales are good but not that good.My friend went from Gales to ATC 3 way speakers & ended up bettering those to the Dynaudio C2 speakers with my recommendation.His is very happy now & kept his same amplification at the same time.

So if you want the final result in what to do keep your amplification & get better speakers 

34 minutes ago, Conrad1970 said:

Stick to the Denson.The best amp I have heard at any price but the problem with Gales is they do need high current amplification.Gales are good but not that good.My friend went from Gales to ATC 3 way speakers & ended up bettering those to the Dynaudio C2 speakers with my recommendation.His is very happy now & kept his same amplification at the same time.

So if you want the final result in what to do keep your amplification & get better speakers 

Which model ATC did your friend buy and how much did they cost?

43 minutes ago, Conrad1970 said:

A good pair of Gales produce a sound that is a very well balanced set of compromises. There are I am sure better speakers out there of course but very few imho that manage the compromises so well , which is why after nearly 20 yrs in  high-end hifi retail I returned to using 401's as my main speakers.

Gales did vary in quality ,even straight from the factory back in the 70's but a good pair are hard to beat for their, increasing ,second hand price.

Edited by Ozcall
  • Like 3

48 minutes ago, Peter_F said:

Which model ATC did your friend buy and how much did they cost?

ATC SCM40 

RRP $8500

Bought second hand for $2500.

Wants to sell them now as no longer required 

Edited by Conrad1970
Edit more info

Guest Music monster

I’m driving my gale

gs401c with McIntosh and the sound is very good, I cart believe these speakers were introduced 45 years ago and still sound so good.gary the music monster ?

• 2 weeks later...

I use a Yamaha AV with 80W pc for general use and switch to Yaqin 100b valve amp for music. Valve amp is as sweet as. More than enough power. I think the concept that you need some huge amp to drive the Gales is inaccurate. I have the Gale 401b set. Fully renovated with new caps, resistors and pots. Drivers all have renewed suspension and boxes stuffed with Dacron rather than fibreglass. Tweeters original. Only problem ever was a blown valve when playing interstellar blu-ray and the rocket was lifting off. My house roof was also lifting! The 100b amp is up to 60w pc depending on mode.

Edited by beachboy2
sp

• 1 year later...
On 30/04/2019 at 5:37 PM, beachboy2 said:

I use a Yamaha AV with 80W pc for general use and switch to Yaqin 100b valve amp for music. Valve amp is as sweet as. More than enough power. I think the concept that you need some huge amp to drive the Gales is 'inaccurate. I have the Gale 401b set. Fully renovated with new caps, resistors and pots. Drivers all have renewed suspension and boxes stuffed with Dacron rather than fibreglass. Tweeters original. Only problem ever was a blown valve when playing interstellar blu-ray and the rocket was lifting off. My house roof was also lifting! The 100b amp is up to 60w pc depending on mode.

"I think the concept that you need some huge amp to drive the Gales is inaccurate." 

No , IT IS MOST DEFINETLY NOT INACCURATE. The fact that you can get ok sound out of Gales with an avr or higher powered valve amp and that you like that sound is not unusual but in order to make them perform at thei best you need a power amp wih high current output even if the power is only 50w eg the Krell KSA50. At best you have yet to hear what your speakers can do and at worst the crossover will go on fire. This is onw time you should believe  the 'hype' .

Edited by Ozcall

Well I have said this before but the secret to getting the Gales sounding their best is a good valve preamp.Something with a big open soundstage like the Suprateks.Or even one of the Ming Da D.H.T preamps.To me they are very much like the Magicos in their sound .Both can sound a bit tight and overdamped but when you get the preamp and power amp right they really free up.

• Like 2