Guitar amp speaker connection advice please

Darryl

Hi SNAers.

This might be a stupid question, but at the risk of public embarrassment I'm going to ask anyway.

I use a Peavey Classic 30 combo guitar amp with a speaker that has two lots of connections like this:

1706491681_CelestionSuper65G12N-65sidebottom003.JPG.861a4f31e287316572c618b8acdfb14a.JPG

A speaker cable is attached to one set of connections (factory built like this). That cable runs up into the amp and can't be removed from the amp end.

In case the Peavey amp goes down, I want to be able to connect a back up amp head.

I'm wondering if I can connect a lead like this to the other set of connections?

1001787354_speakerlead.thumb.jpg.cde545570b7451ee5f86bb5a34e89dd3.jpg

Sorry for the large pic!!!!

Normally this second lead will sit in the bottom of the cabinet not being used, however it would be connected to the speaker. If the main amp goes down I'm hoping I can plug this lead into the second amp and use the Peavey speaker without having to faff about disconnecting and connecting the speaker leads at the speaker end.

At no time would both amps be on at the same time.

The second amp is similar in wattage and I'm aware of using the correct ohm connection on the back up amp.

Both are valve amps by the way.

Hope this makes sense. Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers, Darryl.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Darryl said:

I'm wondering if I can connect a lead like this to the other set of connections?

Not if the original amp is still connected, otherwise the secondary resistance of the tube OPT will be in parallel with the speaker and the load seen by amp 2 will be the driver in parallel with OPT2 and that will be a much lower impedance load than just the speaker on it's own.

• 6 months later...
On 16/04/2019 at 12:54 PM, Darryl said:

Hi SNAers.

This might be a stupid question, but at the risk of public embarrassment I'm going to ask anyway.

I use a Peavey Classic 30 combo guitar amp with a speaker that has two lots of connections like this:

1706491681_CelestionSuper65G12N-65sidebottom003.JPG.861a4f31e287316572c618b8acdfb14a.JPG

A speaker cable is attached to one set of connections (factory built like this). That cable runs up into the amp and can't be removed from the amp end.

In case the Peavey amp goes down, I want to be able to connect a back up amp head.

1001787354_speakerlead.thumb.jpg.cde545570b7451ee5f86bb5a34e89dd3.jpg

Sorry for the large pic!!!!

Normally this second lead will sit in the bottom of the cabinet not being used, however it would be connected to the speaker. If the main amp goes down I'm hoping I can plug this lead into the second amp and use the Peavey speaker without having to faff about disconnecting and connecting the speaker leads at the speaker end.

At no time would both amps be on at the same time.

The second amp is similar in wattage and I'm aware of using the correct ohm connection on the back up amp.

Both are valve amps by the way.

Hope this makes sense. Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers, Darryl.

Can you tell me the model of your amp and its cost, if you remember, I'm looking for a budget option, Peavey amps are cheep but not so popular on amazon, so I'm in two minds