Cd player options

I recently had a thread about cheaper blueray players and the conclusion was a dedicated cd player would give a better sound for music. I also use the hifi for tv/movies but I'm not worried about A/V quality for now. I have found a marantz cd-63 ki, what are people opinions on this cdplayer or am I better to look at something newer like rotel cd-12. Both are for sale locally under $500

A dedicated CD player will almost certainly be better than a cheap bluray. 

Another option, probably as good: Do you currently have a bluray player? If you do, you could simply add a separate dac and use the bluray as a transport. Very reasonable dacs can be had used for well under $500. 

There's a Rega Apollo in the classifieds that is very musical and has a real touch of class at the price - even at retail 10 years ago. 

Adding a DAC to a blu-ray player is often the standard advice; however, much in digital replay depends on the quality of the transport as well as the SPDIF digital output, so I would advise against it.

• Like 1

The blue ray player I have is a sony ubp x700. It has great reviews for its price. And can play many audio formats but it is not its strong point. I have a basic DAC for the tv but it is something that will be upgraded later on. For now I am seeking an option to get the most out of my cds. 

3 hours ago, was_a said:

There's a Rega Apollo in the classifieds that is very musical and has a real touch of class at the price - even at retail 10 years ago. 

Adding a DAC to a blu-ray player is often the standard advice; however, much in digital replay depends on the quality of the transport as well as the SPDIF digital output, so I would advise against it.

That rega player does look quite good. And favourable reviews too

I can't comment on the model/ brands comparison, but based on name alone I'd look at the marantz first. Check out where the marantz fits into their range (midrange, high end, whatever) and which generation of theirs it is. If you have a chance to listen then do so.

What are the issues in a cd player? Laser age, the transport's solidity, the dac's ability to handle inputs and outputs, ability to play CDRs and similar burned media.. others will add their views 

Edited by ThirdDrawerDown
  • Like 1