Sign in to follow this  
Bolts

Open, dynamic headphones under $1K

On 03/06/2019 at 6:07 PM, feanorean said:

Love how ppl on this forum seem to always recommended headphones that they are selling for some reason ;-) I'd suggest anyone thinking of buying a Grado to audition beforehand. It's a very niche sound signature. Just my experience YMMV

I definitely agree, I feel like grados are sold through a strange sound signature and aesthetics instead of technical ability and finesse of sound. Other than that if you have older ears that don't pick up higher frequencies as well, grados may be a option.

7 hours ago, gary chen said:

I definitely agree, I feel like grados are sold through a strange sound signature and aesthetics instead of technical ability and finesse of sound. Other than that if you have older ears that don't pick up higher frequencies as well, grados may be a option.

Grados are more imperfect (especially peaky) than some brands, but in the end few if any headphones are fully satisfactory without EQ. An EQ'd SR325 or PS500 can sound quite good.

Posted (edited)

Like every brand of headphone, Grado has fans and detractors, but you can count me as a definite fan. Their latest releases GS2000/3000 have a smooth yet extended treble that has to be heard to be appreciated. Timbre of instruments and vocals is second to none, bass isn't overdone especially in the GS2000, and they have an airy natural sound that only Stax cans approach, plus the comfort factor - they are light on the head. Just a word about A/B demos in shops. This won't tell us the full story, you have to live with something for a while and have long listening sessions to really ascertain the quality of a headphone, or any transducer really. I find sources in shops really suspect, laptops into the DAC of the day, or whatever is going. Just my opinion. 

Edited by goldiver