Suitable Amp - Monitor Audio Silver 100

Depending on the budget, I'd start by looking at options from Rotel, Rega, Arcam, Audiolab etc.

NAD doesn't go well with Monitor Audio, neither does Cambridge.  Both can get boring and sterile.

Edited by DJGopal
  • Like 1

Just about any 50+ watt amps from the usual suspects would be fine. MA's are not especially amp critical, but as always with most speakers, more quality watts give better results.

Keep a close eye on the FS listings here, there are always good bargains to be found.

Edit: I don't know your budget but this listing would be prefect.

Edited by rantan
  • Like 1

I have Monitor Audio speakers but not the silver so will keep it general. When looking for amps I had best success with Musical Fidelity (which are often referred to as a good partner for MA but might be too expensive) and Marantz.  Good luck!

• Like 1

Thanks for all the feedback ladies and gents. You’ve been very helpful. Just to throw another curve ball into the mix does anyone have and opinion on Class D amps vs Class A/B in regard to to sound quality and characteristics?

1 hour ago, JolB said:

Thanks for all the feedback ladies and gents. You’ve been very helpful. Just to throw another curve ball into the mix does anyone have and opinion on Class D amps vs Class A/B in regard to to sound quality and characteristics?

Class D are in general quite sterile sounding and can sometimes have a nasty sheen to them. 

Class D has its place, driving subwoofers with fast and accurate power.  Let it do what it's good at and use Class A or class AB for the music listening.

• Like 2

When I last auditioned several amps side by side (about 3-4 years ago) the class A/B amps generally outperformed their class D counterparts at the same price point. I understand class D technology is improving all the time, but I'd still need a lot of convincing in a home audition to purchase one.

So +1 for A/B from me. 

On 23/04/2019 at 10:59 AM, DJGopal said:

Class D are in general quite sterile sounding and can sometimes have a nasty sheen to them. 

Class D has its place, driving subwoofers with fast and accurate power.  Let it do what it's good at and use Class A or class AB for the music listening.

I'd question that comment. As always theres good and bad examples of everything. I've heard plenty of AB amps that are so-so. And the above comments probably refer to early versions of class-d amps. Also, if you dont spend a bit you are going to get a cheap amp no matter what. Good Class D amps are great, but theres many different types and implementations so do a bit of research and audition some of the better ones before taking anything for gospel.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hey,

I tried the NAD C388 150w class D with my MA gold series floor standers.... it was anemic, washed out, Grey, flat.... any other words you might use...

My current SGR EL15s on the other hand is fantastic... solid, clean, powerful... it’s AB, with possibly some class A in the first few Watts.

The SGR also sounded great with the Paradigm Signature bookshelves I was using before the MA beauties.

Your speakers will appreciate good amplification.....

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

I have MA Silver 100 with Cambridge Audio CXA61 and they sound great. Listening mostly to vinyl with Alva Duo and Pro-ject Debut DC Carbon + Goldring E3. I don't find the Cambridge sterile at all, quite the opposite with a slightly warm colouration. Together the make an expressive and punchy pairing. The low end output can be substantial with these MA which I like but may not be to everyone's taste (or room).