RayRega

NOISE CANCELLING HEADPHONES

Hi. 

Few opinions on NCH? looking at the Bose 35ii.

Any other or better options around the same price. 

Cheers

Ray

Sony WH-1000MX3 are said to be the best noise-cancellers available. The previous model WH-1000MX2 are pretty similar and you might pick some up a little cheaper. The Bose are good but I have read that their reliability is a bit suspect.

:welcome: to the forum.

The QC25 is better value for money, but is not cordless. And it still works if battery dies, something the QC35 cannot do. 

3 minutes ago, bmc said:

The Bose are good but I have read that their reliability is a bit suspect.

As someone who has owned 4 or 5 pairs of cheaper noise cancelling headphones, and then 2 pairs of Bose, do not agree with statement about reliability...

From what I understand about the qc35s and owning the wh1000xm3s:

Qc35

Balanced/neutral sound

- Physical control buttons

- Good ANC

- Can pair 2 devices simultaneously

Wh1000xm3

- Warm/ more engaging sound signature

- Physical + gesture controls via right ear cup for volume/playback (Known to play up in very cold weather since it operates normally between 0-40 degrees)

- Better battery life (30 vs 20)

- Can't pair more than 1 device to it unlike the qc35s. Have to unpair or turn off bluetooth on current device. Eg. Turning off bluetooth on phone to connect headphones to laptop

- Better BT range

And as for reliability, the earlier batch wh1000xm2s had a recurring cracked headband issue, although most of those problems have been fixed with the xm3s

I'm glad that Snoopy8 has had a successful experience with his Bose, however, just do a google search on it. Lots of complaints about about Bose NC headphones failing on one side.

12 minutes ago, bmc said:

I'm glad that Snoopy8 has had a successful experience with his Bose, however, just do a google search on it. Lots of complaints about about Bose NC headphones failing on one side.

Not sure why the angst against Bose? 

I used to travel a lot and headphones take  bettering because accidents happen in the tight confined spaces of cattle class. My QC15 survived better and longer than the others and still works today. I travel a lot less now with a QC25.  The Bose noise cancelling is second to none,  and is favoured by frequent flyers (when I was one, we often said it was the best travel accessory!).

I have no angst against Bose. The OP was looking for alternatives to Bose, so I put forward the Sony's which have been often been cited in reviews as being superior to the  Bose (which are themselves top class NC performers). I also noted that some people have had reliability issues with the Bose, just as some people have apparently had issues with the earlier Sonys. 

2 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

The QC25 is better value for money, but is not cordless. And it still works if battery dies, something the QC35 cannot do. 

Huh? I just switched my QC35's off and they still work.

9 minutes ago, Satanica said:

Huh? I just switched my QC35's off and they still work.

On the earlier version, they did not work. Looks like they fixed the oversight..  👍😊

3 hours ago, bmc said:

I have no angst against Bose. The OP was looking for alternatives to Bose, so I put forward the Sony's which have been often been cited in reviews as being superior to the  Bose (which are themselves top class NC performers). I also noted that some people have had reliability issues with the Bose, just as some people have apparently had issues with the earlier Sonys. 

Yeah, always good to have both sides weigh in their experiences, especially because I have no experience with the qc35s.