Peter Hook and the Light - joy division orchestrated

cafe67

Shows in Perth, Melbourne, Sydney this year 

not sure about this, new order orchestrated yeah poppy synth tunes, but more spikey punky joy division, but this video seems cool ? 

image.png

Edited by cafe67

• 2 weeks later...

I can feel a backlash starting already, from somewhere near the base of my spine.

Look, this might be rather well done, and I have plenty of covers versions, remake/remodels, reconstructions and deconstructions in the music collection. It's plain I'm generally in favour of this sort of thing. But there were two Joy Divisions: the studio band of wonderful arrangements, of which Martin Hannett's layers and patient pasting of multi-tracks and studio craftwork gets cruelly exposed by high end stereos. And the live band, which kicked arse.

Any live Joy Division should have edge. 

I do not associate Orchestras with the concept of "edge".

Indeed, quite the opposite.

I saw the Peter Hook & Light touring the Unknown Pleasures album a few years back.  Bought the T-shirt. But the concert wasn't enthralling. Weirdly, it's one of the few cases where the bootleg of the show sounds better than the experience of actually being at the show.

Hooky's running out of ways of flogging a dead horse, and I'm guessing this was the last item written at the very bottom of the whiteboard when they finished the brainstorming about how to get a few more dollars out of their audience.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
59 minutes ago, cafe67 said:

Off to the concert hall tonight, still wondering how it will go, but looking forward to it 

Well, for your sake I hope it's absolutely brilliant!

If it is, I will try and avoid hearing about it as I am still getting over the disappointment of his Adelaide show being cancelled....:hmm: :lol:

1 hour ago, SETfan said:

Well, for your sake I hope it's absolutely brilliant!

If it is, I will try and avoid hearing about it as I am still getting over the disappointment of his Adelaide show being cancelled....:hmm: :lol:

Oh bugger did not know that , sorry for you 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hydrology said:

Heading there meself with the missus, will keep an eye out for you @cafe67!

His gig recently in Perth was excellent - he does Joy Division better than the remaining members of New Order do, IMO.

Yes I saw him for the low life tour , but missed the last one.  

Well.so far (intermission) its really quite good. 

Not just JD with strings, seems there has been alot of thought gone into the arrangements . The conductor is working hard.

Hooky is sharing vocals duties with a femsle singers who has quite a voice and a young fella (not sure Who or  if son) doing a good ian curtis impression.  

Sound here at the concert hall is good and the sydney symphony orchestra is spot on.  Hookys singing in better too. 

So far, colour  me very imrpessed 

Tracks so far include  love will tear us apart stripped down voice and piano) , shadow play, heart and soul, isolation, a instrumental with ian curtis talking over the top which turned  into rocking song “higher love”. ,  also did 24 hours. 

Edited by cafe67

The second half started off oddly (in a good way) with the female singer and orchestra doing one of the songs from blade runner, have to check which one. - Rachel’s songs 

they also did a mashup of love will keep us together versus love will tear us apart, apparently Malcolm mclaren was working on it ,just before he died??? This was their tribute to him. Odd but it worked. 

Shadowplay was introduced  with the classic voice  over from JD first tv appearance on Granada tv , I think.

The second half was longer than the first and I can’t remember all the tracks ,  but they did amongst other she’s lost control, there was a very good version of decades from closer with the young fella singing it. The female singer did a also a good version of another track from the second half of closer - the enteral. Isolation and the atrocity exhibition were also played. 

For those concerned about edgy  , amongst other tracks - the encore brought the house down with rocking versions of ceremony, transmission  and another version of love will tear us apart. 

A great concert, better than I expected, but I’m glad I went - if you are still fence sitting, highly recommended. 

20190809_200706.jpg

20190809_194952.jpg

20190809_211615.jpg

20190809_195915.jpg

20190809_211923.jpg

20190809_211920.jpg

20190809_220856.jpg

20190809_194935.jpg

20190809_215057.jpg

Edited by cafe67
  • Like 4

I was as skeptical about this as most and was expecting a bland interpretation of the music, but then it’s impossible to mess up JD songs right?

I was AMAZED at how much thought and effort went into the arrangements. The songs were given an amazing sense of scale and room to breathe. As a lifelong fan it made me appreciate just how good JD were.

I hope a release of this finds it way out at some point (it’s Hooky so most likely!)

Edited by Hydrology
  • Like 1

Thanks all for the reviews and clips. Am still getting over his Adelaide cancellation so am envious of you all - hopefully his orchestrated tour is successful enough to warrant a repeat Oz visit one day (and next time I will be heading straight to Melbourne or Sydney so I dont miss out!!) :lol:

• 9 months later...