jakeyb77

Another Linn Build

On holidays so today I took all the caps, the thermistor, bridge and some other parts off the Valhalla kindly donated by @Luc.

Ordered a bunch of new parts from Mouser. 

Spent half the day polishing the inner platter and outer kindly donated by @Tim D

Also fixed the Tecnoarm I bought recently as the braid came loose in transport. That meant taking the RCA ends off and then re-soldering and heat shrinking them. A pain with Litz wire. 

Anyway fun day. Then it all goes into the plinth I got from @Peter-C.

Also ordered an acrylic mat and Rega tonearm board... 

I recommend doing this to anyone. Great fun. 😉 

BEFE9B49-0A67-4626-B497-C8EEBA01D070.jpeg

37A6702E-9D0D-4A9A-9977-ABF0CE556A9E.jpeg

844016ED-84FC-4AFE-87B5-7AD39D907164.jpeg

56195831-9DE8-4B99-B0D3-54C4B91D7951.jpeg

50AD93C4-185C-492B-B39F-F60E73BC0E30.jpeg

I bet you finish yours before mine is done. I am putting a Hadcock GH228 unipivot on mine, but I should reallu buy a blank armboard as the hole required is only 19mm. At the moment I have an aluminium plate that is way too heavy.

3 minutes ago, Batty said:

I bet you finish yours before mine is done. I am putting a Hadcock GH228 unipivot on mine, but I should reallu buy a blank armboard as the hole required is only 19mm. At the moment I have an aluminium plate that is way too heavy.

Blank arm board is pretty cheap and makes it look great. 

I’m hoping the Valhalla springs to life as it was taking ages to get to speed. Just have to solder it all up and adjust the speed. 

I have the original psu in mine, I think it is mid to late 70s as the serial number is no longer on it, it is hard to identify, it has the black switch and tiny psu.

@jakeyb77  Where'd you source your mat from J? I'm up for trying a new  mat as my felt ones are a bit ovoid.

Nice plinth Peter has given you too👌.

*On a side note. I had a play with my Linn for the first time in yonks(lost interest really, been mainly spotifying) on the weekend and you forget how good vinyl is. I played nothing but 45rpm lp's as I wanted to test out the Mober digital adjustment on these albums as they are all 180gm and a 200gm. Wanted to test it to see if there is much variation as I do get a little bit of variation on 33rpm but only .1 or .2 in an extreme case.

45 rpm is different, I was getting up to .5 variation regularly and this is when the Mober came into it's own. You can't adjust on a original(obviously) but if you were faced with choosing the older Moses Hercules upgrade which also has no way to adjust platter speed or the Mober then I'd go with the Mober.

Hey @Luc just got this one of eBay. 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com.au%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F332266251407

Bought for looks mainly. Tried cork and it gets dusty and was a PITA. 

I’m going to recap the Valhalla. See what comes of that as I’m trying to get it down cost wise. If I do upgrade the PSU I’d probably see @Mober about the new Mose. I don’t play 45’s to be honest. 

39F3B42F-AC2B-43CC-B51D-62923CC9CFCC.jpeg

A6B61711-4595-4DE3-AFD0-11A615DB4EC5.jpeg

I didn't play 45's either until I bought some Radiohead albums off cheekyboy and thought my Linn had died when I played them! That's when I decided to look into the Moses but I took so long to decide whether to pull the trigger that Edward had come up with the Mober so it was a no brainer to try digital control.

*pics look great J, wd on the project so far.

The Valhalla board was covered in its lifetime of slime but some acetone and iso mix and a paint brush brought it back to life. 

Some of the traces are a little funky so I’ve cleaned them up and I’ll cover them back over when the soldering is done.