Kevin from Perth

HI

I have had the following audio gear in storage for several years and have now brought it out to review usage or sell (wife very keen on second option :O) )

The gear is Cyrus II Amplifier with PSX power supply and a pair of Celestion SL12Si speakers

I have hooked everything up and it all works but doesn't seem to sound the same as when last used.

However as the only audio source I have is my phone via headphone jack I am not sure what might be the source of this problem.

Given everything is working what kinds of things might need to be refurbished/ replaced to compensate for the years of storage.

Thanks for any advice

3 minutes ago, kfb21Audio said:

However as the only audio source I have is my phone via headphone jack I am not sure what might be the source of this problem.

This is exactly the problem. No mystery involved.

It would be best to find a decent source in whatever form you prefer. Streamer/dac/ turntable or CD. Keep an eye out for listings in the forum classifieds, but even with new gear it need not be costly for a quality source.

• Like 1

HI Rantan,

So you think the unused time in storage is unlikely to have had a damaging effect. That's good news. This was quite expensive gear when I bought it so its a shame to think it might have decayed

Thanks

Kevin

Sometimes corrosion on the connectors can have an adverse affect on the sound.  Also the climate or the conditions under which the equipment was stored.  I always recommend full plastic wrap and back in the original packaging if possible, removing batteries from the remote controls and always in a cool dry location.

Electrolytic capacitors can deteriorate with age, but I'd investigate other reasons before doing a re-cap job on the amplifier or speakers.

To remove any corrosion from input or output sockets / jacks I recommend DeoxIT.  Works really well and a kit will last you for years.

https://www.jaycar.com.au/deoxit-contact-cleaner-rejuvenator-solution-kit/p/NS1436  I use it regularly on older gear that comes in for repair or restoration.  Inexpensive and cost effective solution to problems related to corrosion (within limits) or noisy contacts / switched etc.  I'm sure you will see similar recommendations from other experienced service persons on this forum.

Cheers,

Alan R. 

• Like 1

Not familiar with the SL12'S but we sold a lot of SL6/Cyrus combo's back in the day and it was a synergistic combination.

I would not sell the system as it would, imho, cost a large amount to replace it with something better. The Cyrus amps take up so little space and so as others have said a decent source will brings the system bang up to date in the sound quality stakes.

Usually it is the speakers that seem to annoy women folk :)

There are a couple of good techs in Perth that could give the amp combo a once over regarding the electrolytic and checking bias etc and these day's I tend to recommend Mike at Liquid Audio having benefited from his advice on a number of my own projects.

HI All,

Many thanks for your helpful comments and particularly the heads up for Liquid Audio (OzCall). I am not confident to do much maintenance myself.

Can anyone here suggest where I might get an estimate of how much I'd likely get for the kit before I spend bucks refurbishing them. I think the sale is a high probability event. (You're right OzCall it is the speakers which are the main sticking point ?)

Cheers

Kevin

On 22/04/2019 at 8:36 PM, kfb21Audio said:

HI All,

Many thanks for your helpful comments and particularly the heads up for Liquid Audio (OzCall). I am not confident to do much maintenance myself.

Can anyone here suggest where I might get an estimate of how much I'd likely get for the kit before I spend bucks refurbishing them. I think the sale is a high probability event. (You're right OzCall it is the speakers which are the main sticking point ?)

Cheers

Kevin

Hi Kevin , I would sell the speakers if they are a no no for domestic harmony and get the amps serviced to use with something more domestically acceptable.