Porkbuns69

Is this a 24v DC switching power supply?

This came with my Woodpecker 2 turntable.  A quick scout around google and this seems to be 24v DC switching psu - 3.0A max?  The intent is to replace this with a linear 24v DC psu.

Thanks.

psu.jpg

34 minutes ago, Porkbuns69 said:

This came with my Woodpecker 2 turntable.  A quick scout around google and this seems to be 24v DC switching psu - 3.0A max?  The intent is to replace this with a linear 24v DC psu.

Thanks.

You are correct, P69.  So, yes, you could replace it with a 24v linear PSU.  If you're in Melbourne, I could bring over a 24v DC Sbooster linear PSU for you to try-before-you-buy.

PM me if you're interested.

Andy

18 hours ago, Muon N' said:

2-19-307x300.jpg.399cc2b0e40f6be8c8435da38953bd29.jpg

The issue of concern for the OP was the "topology" of the conversion to 24V DC.

It is audiophile lore that a power supply that uses the modern technique of switching is bad  and that "old-fashioned" linear is good. A reason advanced for that view is possible Electromagnetic Interference (EMI) from a switching power supply.

Switching power supplies tend to be capable of operating over a wide range. That is in evidence here from the input voltage range shown on the pictured unit, namely 100 - 240V. 

@MLXXX Well done stating the obvious regarding switching supplies operation :lol:

Just now, Muon N' said:

@MLXXX Well done stating the obvious regarding switching supplies operation :lol:

I'm not sure I agree with that lore. It is what it is.

These days there are regulations for maximum permissible emissions from units such as the one pictured.

Just now, MLXXX said:

I'm not sure I agree with that lore. It is what it is.

These days there are regulations for maximum permissible emissions from units such as the one pictured.

No idea what you are on about with 'lore' or why you are quoting me, maybe you need another coffee.

@Muon N', the reason I quoted your post supplying symbols for AC and DC, was that I was of the opinion that the OP most likely already knew the unit produced 24 volts direct current. That did not appear to me to be the OP's query. It appeared to me that the OP's query was whether it was a switching adaptor, as distinct from a linear one.

As for "lore", switching power supplies are indeed held in low regard by a percentage of audiophiles. No doubt some switching power supplies used for hi-fi equipment, particularly early implementations of switching power supplies, have caused sufficient emissions to create an audible effect. In my opinion that is not likely to be an issue these days. Your opinion may differ.

Just now, MLXXX said:

the reason I quoted your post supplying symbols for AC and DC, was that I was of the opinion

So why not just address the OP directly.

Would be three or four less pointless posts :)

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Muon N' said:

So why not just address the OP directly.

Would be three or four less pointless posts :)

My post was intended for general readers of the thread, just to clarify that the issue here was switching vs linear. Sorry that my purpose wasn't clear to you, Muon.

Edited by MLXXX