ARIA’S NEW WEEKLY VINYL CHART SHOWS VINYL ISN’T A FAD

28 minutes ago, Marc said:

Casually observing the attendance across the country on Saturday, the now hugely successful Record Store Day proves vinyl is back in the big time.

View the full article

I found this fact in the article interesting:

Vinyl’s continuing success begs an obvious historical question: Why are records also known as “Albums”.

The answer relates to the double-sided 78 rpm record released in 1903, and that had an impoverished 4-minute playing time per side.

Back then an entire 35-minute symphony required up to a dozen records. To keep track of these many discs, stores had a handy sideline selling wallets to store the separate discs.

Because these wallets resembled the kind of book people back in the day used to store photographs, consumers came to know the wallets as albums.

• Like 1

From time to time you can find these (rather hefty) binders of 78rpm discs in second-hand shops and on auction sites.

Being weighty and bulky, they do cause a problem for those who like to display albums in picture frames for artwork purposes on the listening room wall. Not only are dynabolts required, but they are really boring to look at.

On 15/04/2019 at 9:04 AM, Marc said:

Casually observing the attendance across the country on Saturday, the now hugely successful Record Store Day proves vinyl is back in the big time.

View the full article

I think this revival is all very surprising.  Much as I love vinyl, I find it hard to see why it increasing in popularity.  But I'm glad it is.     Interesting to see the top 10.  A lot of old re-releases there.

59 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

I think this revival is all very surprising.  Much as I love vinyl, I find it hard to see why it increasing in popularity.  But I'm glad it is.     Interesting to see the top 10.  A lot of old re-releases there.

One take on this is that it is somewhat of a rebellion against the 'playlist' mentality, which still has a place in music listening I think, especially in more social situations. However, for personal listening, a proportion of us, and lets face it its probably the shoppers with more disposable income, prefer to listen to a full album. It would be interesting to see the age demographic of who is buying records. And of the younger customers, are they buying records to listen to an album in its entirety? Or is it more so just for collecting's sake? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jebediah said:

One take on this is that it is somewhat of a rebellion against the 'playlist' mentality, which still has a place in music listening I think, especially in more social situations. However, for personal listening, a proportion of us, and lets face it its probably the shoppers with more disposable income, prefer to listen to a full album. It would be interesting to see the age demographic of who is buying records. And of the younger customers, are they buying records to listen to an album in its entirety? Or is it more so just for collecting's sake? 

VERY good point.  Yes, I nearly always listen to a complete album.    Of course, CDs allowed this too, but they also allowed track picking, especially in multi-disc players  (I have ond CD player with a rack of CD's in it like a jukebox and you could even select shuffle play).

2 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

VERY good point.  Yes, I nearly always listen to a complete album.    Of course, CDs allowed this too, but they also allowed track picking, especially in multi-disc players  (I have ond CD player with a rack of CD's in it like a jukebox and you could even select shuffle play).

Haha, I'd forgotten about CD's, how silly of me! I just don't use them any more, even though I've about 500 or so in storage.