Yeah I've given up on commercial TV for sport (and really everything else as well).

I've gone to Kayo and the PQ is WAY better. (still stereo only though) Costs money but no where near as many ads.

I now watch Netflix, Kayo and listen to Tidal.

At least the ABC and SBS are trying to provide some watchable content.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, a.dent said:

Yeah I've given up on commercial TV for sport

I have been thinking that my antenna may need upgrading( very old in roof). Really poor 7hd picture especially with footy. I was under the impression that with digital you get the picture or you don't. I still don't know if an antenna upgrade would improve the picture. Seems doubtful?

Guest jakeyb77
8 hours ago, Hazzzy said:

I have been thinking that my antenna may need upgrading( very old in roof). Really poor 7hd picture especially with footy. I was under the impression that with digital you get the picture or you don't. I still don't know if an antenna upgrade would improve the picture. Seems doubtful?

Not sure where you are but I was recently in QLD and my mum’s 7HD was awful. The sound was really jittery etc. I used the manual tuning to correct it and it was brilliant after that. 

If your only issue is 7HD then give it a shot before changing the whole antenna 

9 hours ago, Hazzzy said:

Had the same issue with a HD unit installed in roof by moi, no way I was getting out there on the roof of a double story.. HD7 was totally pixelated with the odd five second burst of picture

We have just upgraded our antenna to the latest Digi unit, brilliant! 

Yay got footy again.

11 hours ago, Hazzzy said:

If there is nothing wrong with the other 7 network channels (7, 71, 7two, 7mate, 7flix etc) then the likelihood that your antenna is at fault is slim as all these signals are carried on the same frequency.  I would suggest that in order to squeeze all those "channels" into the measly 7MHz bandwidth they are allowed to use, that the HD is getting highly compressed to cope with this.

One way to determine if the picture content is highly compressed is to compare the PQ when there is little or no movement of objects in the picture.  If it becomes unclear with fast moving content such as the footy as the camera pans quickly to keep pace with the action, it's a sign of significant digital compression on the fly.

Yes, the PQ can be also be determined by the engine (chipset) in your TV, however all FTA HD content would be affected, not just 7HD.

The presence of pixellation, sound drop outs or occasionally getting no signal at all can point to a bad antenna, masthead or distribution amplifiers (if installed), crook cabling, splitters or badly fitted connectors.  When watching any "channel" on the 7 network use your TV's signal diagnostics facility to check three important parameters - signal level, signal quality and post viterbi.  Signal level should be "in the green" as should signal quality. Post viterbi should ideally be 0, but low levels of 1.0 x 10-6 is still okay.

Cheers,

Alan R.

Edited by Monkeyboi
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Monkeyboi said:

The presence of pixellation, sound drop outs or occasionally getting no signal at all can point to a bad antenna

I am not getting any of this. I checked signal level>100. Signal quality>99.

Most content is in good quality but I find the footy picture not so good.

10 hours ago, Monkeyboi said:

the HD is getting highly compressed

I think this is the case and a new antenna won't improve things for me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hazzzy said:

Yes, everything points to poor PQ at the transmitting end.  :(  I guess that means just having to grin and bear it.....

2 hours ago, Hazzzy said:

Yep. My thoughts exactly.

Get a Chromecast or ATV and pay to stream Kayo.

The FTA terrestrial channels are heavily compressed due to lack of bandwidth. In Rockhampton 7HD transmits in MPEG 2 @ 1080 x 1440 and is still plagued by macro blocking, pixellation and other compression artefacts. The AFL is broadcast on 7 mate (MPEG 2 SD) and the PQ is appalling.  Its KAYO for me.

• Like 1