Rodrigo Pereira

Arcam A19 + Spendor Prelude 2/2

Hi Rodrico,

Sorry to hear that on first impressions you are a tad confused with the sound they produce.
They will be different to what you have been use to. And certainly play with speaker separation if possible and angles as this changes the staging overall. 

If when you are not using the jumpers are you using the standard connecting plates that join both the speaker connectors together? if not the jumpers  are 100% needed as without them you will only get part of the speakers working. without jumpers or connectors that link the speakers together.

Pictures shown by Russ and yours is correct and will mean both treble & mid range are linked correctly and will give the best sound possible.

Perhaps for another day but your speakers are designed to be bi wired provided your amp allows it. If you get the chance google this part.

Also not insulting your intelligence as I myself have made this mistake but please make sure that the positive and negative cables are correctly hooked up on both ends as if these are mixed up it will mean the speakers will be out of phase and will sound pretty average too. This means positive to positive and so forth and if both look the same e.g white in colour one usually has writing or is marked as your indicator but so long as it's the same on both ends you will be fine.

Regarding punchiness of bass, I cant recall but some brands gave you port socks (foam inserts) to put in speaker ports to soften the punshiness of sound. But if you have bass and treble on your amp this is the simplest way to tweak it to suit.

Just remember they will be different to what you have been use to but should be for the better

Oky

All good mate, it's all part of the learning game, I really appreciate your input.

My speakers didn't come with standard connectors. They were replaced with those Chord jumpers. Now everything makes sense, you were spot on, those jumpers are now mandatory that's why the sound was bad without them, the speakers were not delivering the complete sound.

I will have plenty of time to play with my new setup during the long weekend - I can't wait.

Rodrigo

Mate its an honest thing to do if you weren't to know and we learn every day including me:-)

Really glad if this is all it was as it all makes sense now. You were super polite in saying your confused but without the jumpers they would sound poo either only bass or treble.

Without jumpers the top connectors is your treble and the bottom is usually your midrange/bass and if you only hook these up you only get either one and not both.

those jumpers look really good and is a nice bonus to have.

The idea of those connections on the speakers is if you have a big enough amp or one that allows you to biwire it you can have more discrete power going to each one of those connectors.

For now and hopefully a while keep it simple with those connectors going strait into you Arcam and they should sound 100% better

Gooduck and Really hope you enjoy them

Oky

Edited by SlugSR20

1 hour ago, SlugSR20 said:
Mate its an honest thing to do if you weren't to know and we learn every day including me:-)

Really glad if this is all it was as it all makes sense now. You were super polite in saying your confused but without the jumpers they would sound poo either only bass or treble.

Without jumpers the top connectors is your treble and the bottom is usually your midrange/bass and if you only hook these up you only get either one and not both.

those jumpers look really good and is a nice bonus to have.

For now and hopefully a while keep it simple with those connectors going strait into you Arcam and they should sound 100% better

Gooduck and Really hope you enjoy them

Oky

Purely FYI this is how the standard connectors look on your 685S2Screenshot_20190417-193720_Chrome.jpeg

Edited by SlugSR20