Rodrigo Pereira

Arcam A19 + Spendor Prelude 2/2

Hi guys,

I have purchased an Arcam FMJ A19 today, and I'm considering buying a new pair of speakers to match it nicely. I would love to invest in a very nice pair of speakers but I can't do it at the moment. My budget is in between $500-$700 hence I need to go vintage (again).

I'm thinking of getting a pair of Spendor Prelude 2/2. The A19 and the Spendor sounded really nice together, but I would like to hear your thoughts around this combination. Do you guys have or had any experience with those speakers?

What else is out there that could be a nice match to my Arcam A19 around the $700 mark? I'm in Sydney btw.

Thanks,

Rodrigo

My advice would be to save for just a little while longer.

Keep watching the classifieds, and buy when you have closer to say $1.5K to spend. It’ll save you in the long run.

Kef LS50’s come up for ~$1200 from time to time.

Disagree. Those Spendors would be plenty for the Arcam FMJ - which doesn't go well with brighter speakers.

@Rodrigo Pereira If you like the Spendors with the Arcam then go for it. you could always sell the Spendors if you upgrade at not a big loss if you are spending $500-600 for the pair.

Posted (edited)

The Spendors are oldies but goodies.

I think the Arcam will have plenty in reserve to drive them.

The other option perhaps consider other good quality newer bookshelves.

Personally for sound and value the New B&W 606 are great but cost around $1149 pr but with some haggling you should be able to get them at a better price. But know this perhaps is not an option at this stage for you.

With the newer 600 series being available this also means the older series are being offered at great prices in the S/H market. The older siblings being  B&W 685 S2 were great speakers for the price and still sounded awesome.They used the yellow Kevlar driver and they looked great too.

I know there was someone the other day selling some on SNA for around $600

I know sound is very personal but I have always liked the sound from the B&W

All the best!!

Edited by SlugSR20

Posted (edited)

There's a pair of KEF Q300 speakers in the classifieds at the moment. I had them paired with an FMJ A19 and I think they sounded superb. Under your budget too. You could spend the difference on some stands.

Edited by Chigurh

6 hours ago, was_a said:

Disagree. Those Spendors would be plenty for the Arcam FMJ - which doesn't go well with brighter speakers.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Yeah they sound really well together. I can't comment on the KEF's yet. 'll try to visit a store next week to check them out. 

17 minutes ago, Chigurh said:

There's a pair of KEF Q300 speakers in the classifieds at the moment. I had them paired with an FMJ A19 and I think they sounded superb. Under your budget too. You could spend the difference on some stands.

Thanks for the heads up.  That's great you had them together ... Really good to know that is a good combo. 'll check it out.

1 hour ago, SlugSR20 said:

The Spendors are oldies but goodies.

I think the Arcam will have plenty in reserve to drive them.

The other option perhaps consider other good quality newer bookshelves.

Personally for sound and value the New B&W 606 are great but cost around $1149 pr but with some haggling you should be able to get them at a better price. But know this perhaps is not an option at this stage for you.

With the newer 600 series being available this also means the older series are being offered at great prices in the S/H market. The older siblings being  B&W 685 S2 were great speakers for the price and still sounded awesome.They used the yellow Kevlar driver and they looked great too.

I know there was someone the other day selling some on SNA for around $600

I know sound is very personal but I have always liked the sound from the B&W

All the best!!

I love the sound of the B&W. I don't think I had listened to this model but they sound impressive. I'll get on touch with the seller. He is in Sydney, I might be able to try out.  Thanks! 

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, barn door said:

My advice would be to save for just a little while longer.

Keep watching the classifieds, and buy when you have closer to say $1.5K to spend. It’ll save you in the long run.

Kef LS50’s come up for ~$1200 from time to time.

I had the KEF in mind. I read a good review of this combo, apparently they work well together. Thanks! 

Edited by Rodrigo Pereira