Dangerous - going down a vinyl path.

I've been solidly digital so far. But after picking up my parent's pile of LPs and old turntable, and seeing the new Rega trade in offer, I'm going to scratch that itch.

I have a basic project MM stage already.

Starting modestly I'm looking at RP1 or RP2. I'm after advice about what to choose.

It might be where I stop, and it might become a new obsession.

• Like 1

I sold my RP3 to a friend many years ago and it's a very reliable turntable.  Great performance for the $$$.

He started with an RP1 and Ortofon Red MM cartridge and project phono stage.

Once you hear how good vinyl sounds you may be upgrading for many years.

Enjoy your LP's.  It's amazing how much detail can be retrieved from them with the right components. 

• Like 1

Ha Ha! I can attest to that. No interest whatsoever with turn tables but a recent trip to Osaka got me hooked as the airbnb I was staying had a TT and a fantastic Japanese jazz record collection.  Between your 2 choices, I will go with the RP2 or a better choice imo, a 2nd hand RP3.

Cheers

@Raffinator If you are heavily into digital, you might find the cheaper Regas not up to scratch and you give the format away very early. This could be a good or bad thing.

These are examples of the area I would recommend. I also, would not buy new.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wimbo said:

@Raffinator If you are heavily into digital, you might find the cheaper Regas not up to scratch and you give the format away very early. This could be a good or bad thing.

These are examples of the area I would recommend. I also, would not buy new.

This a bargain and excellent sound

On 17/04/2019 at 12:30 AM, Stephen Jackson said:

I sold my RP3 to a friend many years ago and it's a very reliable turntable.  Great performance for the $$$.

He started with an RP1 and Ortofon Red MM cartridge and project phono stage.

Once you hear how good vinyl sounds you may be upgrading for many years.

Enjoy your LP's.  It's amazing how much detail can be retrieved from them with the right components. 

This is almost exactly where I started 12 months ago except a project carbon esprit/Ortofon mm red... just spent $4k last week upgrading!

Rega (the rep was in store) took a $25 op shop turntable as the trade to get the discount on a planar 6. It’s clearly a gimmick (and one I quite like).

This is almost exactly where I started 12 months ago except a project carbon esprit/Ortofon mm red... just spent $4k last week upgrading!

Rega (the rep was in store) took a $25 op shop turntable as the trade to get the discount on a planar 6. It’s clearly a gimmick (and one I quite like).
Successful gimmick - picked up a RP2 yesterday from Eastwood HiFi.

Journey begins after setup tomorrow.
  • Like 2

its an entirely different process! You"ll definately enjoy it.  Opening up the LP, dropping the needle, changing phono stages.  There will be some albums that you rediscover almost entirely !!

I actually sometimes enjoy queing a CD, Digital File and LP all of the same track and listen for differences -

To be fair not always does vinyl win for my ears but more often than not it does.

I use my Turntables for when i really want to indulge in a listening session, when its more about just hanging out and stuff I use the digital route for ease and of course that wonderful thing called "shuffle"

have fun!!

• Like 1

I bought a rega rp6 with exact cartridge and I love it. If you shop around you can get them for a good price 2nd hand or ex-demo. I use the optional phono module that comes with the schiit jotunheim - it's excellent value for money and a great way to dip your toes into vinyl.

Congrats on the purchase. My first decent tt was a RP2. They are a good deck and with the right cart and set up properly can sound amazing.

Which pre amp, , amp and speakers are you running it into? What is the project cart?